James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest nufc 4 life

No point talking about sell ons. Nobodoy on here will actually know and we will have recieved money from players we have sold in the past so it all balances out eventually.

don't know if its been posted, but .com have vented their splein on this, and its hard to argue with what they say:

Departure:

Milner goes

Aston Villa confirmed on their official website that they have completed the transfer of James Milner after he passed his medical at their Bodymoor Heath training ground on Friday morning.

A fee of £12m is being mentioned, but we understand that figure is the total payable with various add-ons - and an undisclosed percentage will be due to former club Leeds United due to a sell-on clause.

It remains to be seen whether the owner will take his place in the away end tomorrow. Put it this way - that wasn't the "wow" signing we anticipated....

The current top brass certainly seem to be sticking to their declared policy of developing young talent and selling them on - with Milner's value having doubled since we paid £5m to bring him from Leeds in 2004.

Where that policy falls down though is when one looks at the size of the squad that remains - with a mixture of the discredited (Barton, Smith Duff, Ameobi) and the novice (of the 38 players now at SJP with squad numbers, no less than 16 have never played Premier League football).

It's a case of third time lucky for Villa with the 22 year -old, after he was shipped out to them on a season-long loan deal in August 2005 as Nolberto Solano came the other way, while Michael Owen joined from Real Madrid.

He then returned to SJP after having played 33 games in all competitions, scoring three times, to find that Roeder had replace Souness.

Recalled to the Newcastle side for our opening Intertoto Cup game in Norway, Milner had made five appearances when he stepped off the field for United at Villa Park in late August 2006.

Within hours though he was back in the Midlands, arriving at the Villa training ground after a transfer was agreed - only to then be recalled to Tyneside after our attempts to sign Viduka from the smoggies collapsed.

Milner's 100th start in a Newcastle shirt came on Tuesday at Coventry, after which it was revealed by the club that he had submitted a transfer requested some days before - barely a year after signing an improved contract.

It seemed clear that while he had no desire to leave Tyneside, Milner's move came out of frustration that he'd failed to achieve parity with his contemporaries at SJP - and had recently fallen further behind in the wage stakes.

The success of the public and private campaign to get Steven Taylor an improved contract seems to have been the trigger for this discontent and eventual departure.

It's just over a month since Milner's fellow England U21 international was awarded a new £35K a week three-year deal, after Mike Ashley's intervention.

That was seen partly as a reward for services rendered to date and also as an investment in the club's future by securing talent that had begun to develop here.

The argument appears to have been that Milner matched Taylor in those respects, but signed a contract in 2007 that was equal only to that which Taylor was already on - and the hoped-for parity has not been forthcoming.

There's also a realisation that Milner's departure would see him replaced by an unknown quantity, with no track record at this club - or maybe even in this league, country or continent - but who would command the level of wages Milner had sought.

Under those circumstances, the question is being asked of Newcastle, why take the risk and end up with another Emre or Luque etc. etc.

Having played his proverbials off for two hours on Tuesday night, there was no doubting Milner's on-field commitment - especially as the transfer request had been made by that point, although not disclosed publicly.

After all, many other players would have conjured up an injury in order to avoid playing and being cup-tied.

Frustrations about his variable shooting and distribution remained, but even when his touch deserted him, he never hid and his work rate remained undiminished - little wonder then that Keegan liked him so much.

In our eyes Milner's genuine graft and honesty provided an antidote to the feeling that we've signed mercenaries, thugs and conmen in recent years.

And having breathed a sigh of relief when the likes of Dyer, Jenas and Kluivert took their baggage and egos elsewhere, we feel the opposite about a man who to us was the very essence of anti-bling.

No Hello Magazine appearances, no pimp my ride or cribs -type nonsense, no car crashes, no night club antics, no grappling in the street. A game of darts appeared to be his major vice....

To see a trio of gutless wonders who've done sweet FA for this club in the shape of Duff, Barton and Smith remain here on mega money while Milner goes sticks in our throat.

And we've not even started on the £100K+ horserace owner and his future.

If a football club is to go forward, then players that leave the team have to be replaced by an improved player in that position - note that we don't consider Duff to be in that category.

Our loyalty to individual Newcastle players ceased a long time ago - our line remains that anyone can go if they're not happy.

£10m+ may be considered good business for Milner - but only if that money is used to improve the team. We remain to be convinced whether that can be achieved in any timescale - let alone the days we have remaining.

On that basis to allow Milner to leave seems illogical and says much about the current state of affairs at SJP, including the manager's diminished influence this time around. It's not like it was in the brochure.

www.nufc.com

As much as its a good deal for us, half decent english players are worth a premium at the moment, with clubs pre-emting Fifa's possible 6+5 rule. If that came into being - Villa may think they got the better deal for the long term? Its no coincidence Keegan, O'neill, Moyes and Benitez seem to rate him when many fans dont

don't know if its been posted, but .com have vented their splein on this, and its hard to argue with what they say:

No it isn't. The entire article can be shot-down on the virtue of the sentence "to allow Milner to leave seems illogical"  - - the only thing that would be illogical would be to reject a £12 million bid for him.

In fact, no, that wouldn't be illogical, it would be utterly ridiculous.

No it isn't. The entire article can be shot-down on the virtue of the sentence "to allow Milner to leave seems illogical"  - - the only thing that would be illogical would be to reject a £12 million bid for him.

agree on the fee, but you can see ther epoint on that his replacement will probably be on the wage (or more) that milner sought?

in fact fuck it, i didnt think this through, you're right, the fee makes the whole thing sensible.

Think they mean in the contex of the boards plan of bring young players through, rather than the players who come here for the cash, Here is a regular in the under-21's, vice captain no-less, maybe our hardest worker and one of our more dignifyed players allowed to leave when an accepteble bid is made. The next time we get an "accepatble bid" for one of our promising players - same again? I'm not saying I agree, but they have a point

The writing on that .com site is of an excellent standard.

They've got this one wrong though, I frequently feel moved to defend them on here from irrational hatred but don't agree with this article at all.

Summed up succinctly by tmonkey :

There's not much to indicate that there's anything wrong with whats going on. If we're judging things on Keegan's first spell here, then by the same logicc we could say that James Milner is not a Keegan player in any way, shape or form - Keegan wont want grafters in attacking positions, when given money to spend he went for the Gillespie's, Ginola's and Apsrilla's in those positions - attacking players with pace or great skill. Keegan was a flair player himself, and I think he has a preferrence for what a good attacking player needs to have. Added to which, he'd have noted how much the performances improved last season when Milner, Duff and Smith were out of the side - that spell would have opened his eyes as to who needed to be shipped out because they werent contributing to what matters for their respective positions - assists and goals.

.coms slant on things takes all that away from Keegan and leaves him a hapless victim whilst advocating we keep people due to having a good workrate and a clean nose.

The writing on that .com site is of an excellent standard.

pity the ideas are holier than thou, patronising, aloof shite.

:thup: nailed.

beautifully crafted sanctimonious bullshit.

Think they mean in the contex of the boards plan of bring young players through, rather than the players who come here for the cash, Here is a regular in the under-21's, vice captain no-less, maybe our hardest worker and one of our more dignifyed players allowed to leave when an accepteble bid is made. The next time we get an "accepatble bid" for one of our promising players - same again? I'm not saying I agree, but they have a point

I'm aware of the context. However, there's a difference between an "acceptable" bid and an "unrejectable" bid.

Villa's bid for Milner fits into the latter category.

agree on the fee, but you can see ther epoint on that his replacement will probably be on the wage (or more) that milner sought?

in fact fuck it, i didnt think this through, you're right, the fee makes the whole thing sensible.

Although unlike Milner hopefully he will make some sort of decent contribution to our goals and assists tally as well.

The media will love this, they'll run with the "Penniless Newcastle" angle while not mentioning the firesale at Spurs including at least one, possibly both, of their best two players when the sheer fact of the matter is you cannot turn down that sort of money for a player of James Milner's quality.

He's got plenty going for him, he's not shit as many will make out - genuinely two footed, versatile, works extremely hard, very fit, decent shot from range - but most of those things are window dressing for a winger who can't cross, has no passing ability to speak of, is a poor finisher and is extremely one paced. His previously impressive ability to beat his man seemed to have deserted him last season and all you're left with is genuine hard work.

I wonder about Villa too. For a team built around the incredible counter-attacking pace of Agbonlahor and Young, as well as the latter's superb crossing ability, they couldn't have signed a less fitting player. He's the antithesis of Ashley Young and is extremely frustrating on the counter-attack.

I must admit, I have kept relativity quite during this whole saga, so here is my two penneth...sorry for the lengthy read.

Whilst I normally agree with .com 100%, I still feel 12m (even with some addons/percentage to Leeds) is a very decent amount for a player who has, not for lack of trying, not improved vastly since his first spell at Villa.  

Yes he has been steadfast, has grafted, kept his head down and got on with things, but unfortunately statistics prove (oooo BSA time) that he is not that much of a Key Player/Match Winner.  His goals per season ratio is poor, as is his assists.  I thought the idea of being a winger was to provide your strikers with crosses/passes to bring them goals.  Forgive me if I'm wrong mind you.

I admire his commitment, his determination and his ability to take on a player, but for 12million its hard to say no given the above.

Let us not forget, although he was not on 'soopa' wages, he still most likely earns more in a week than all of us do in a year.  And I agree he should have been on a par with Taylor wages wise, I don't believe putting a transfer request is a mature way to go about things (neither is Taylor's dad going to the Comical mind).  But there's ways and means, time and a place.  Yes forcing the clubs hand is a way to go about things if you are a key player, but a squad player has less leeway.  

Imagine me or you going to the boss and saying, I'm leaving unless you pay me more than I'm worth...  :cheesy:

Tara!

I wish the lad all the luck in the world, and maybe MON can develop him into a better player.  

As long as our manager, players and fans see the benefit from this sale then I do not have a problem with it.

In KK we trust.

It's going to be an interesting couple of days to say the least.

Holier than thou?

It's just not glib that's all. Well considered, but wrong.

£12m! Get-fuckin-in!

it's more that they seem to think their opinions are more worthy and valuable than those of your average fan or the posters on here - look at the constant sniping about those on websites and forums. last time i checked they were running a website too. they run a great factual resource but it doesn't make their opinions any more credible. i'd much rather log on here and read what tmonkey or ohmelads or big tron or wullie thinks.

in this instance i struggle to agree with many or any of the points raised. one argument in particular suggests that we shouldn't have sold Milner because we now have to take the risk on a new signing who might be another Emre or Luque. fucking hell what rubbish.

I'm aware of the context. However, there's a difference between an "acceptable" bid and an "unrejectable" bid.

Really? even at a time when we are struggling for players, he was our best player in the last match we played and the boards plan is to go with the young players? As much as its really good deal, i just think its sends out all the wrong signals - Work your ass off, we will pay the bigger names who dont do half as much - twice what you earn, then when a team notice's your hard work we will sell you, and then gamble on a player to replace you. Like i say, I still cant decide who got the best deal - Us or Villa, sure we have £12M in the bank but they have a young english player that will only improve. I am braceing myself for this one to come back and haunt us, O'neill is a shrewd as they come, and milner will thrive under him

Niall and Biffa are both sound, from the times I've spoken to them. I'm sure Rich would back that up... I don't think they believe their opinions are more worthy than others, and when they "snipe" at forums they're referring to 606 and the like more often than not, as opposed to ours...

However, their opinions are so far-reaching (and thus potentially damaging) that sometimes I can't help but feel that they'd be better off sticking to just posting facts...

Really? even at a time when we are struggling for players, he was our best player in the last match we played and the boards plan is to go with the young players? As much as its really good deal, i just think its sends out all the wrong signals - Work your ass off, we will pay the bigger names who dont do half as much - twice what you earn, then when a team notice's your hard work we will sell you, and then gamble on a player to replace you. Like i say, I still cant decide who got the best deal - Us or Villa, sure we have £12M in the bank but they have a young english player that will only improve. I am braceing myself for this one to come back and haunt us, O'neill is a shrewd as they come, and milner will thrive under him

And when was the last match before that where he was our best player, or even in the top three?