Jose Enrique out for at least three weeks with hamstring injury

Guest BooBoo

When he plays well he plays really well. Very accomplished. He has some poor games but people should remember he is young and this is his first season in a new league, a very different league to La Liga. I think he's going to be an excellent left back.

erm.....

Full season to be fair. wasn't really first choice under big sam.

We really need to stick with him. We've seen a lot of players coming over from Spain or France and they've just wilted and sulked. Enrique has fought his way into the lineup. Allardyce, Keegan, and then Kinnear all handed the left back slot to another player...whether this was a lack of confidence in Enrique or an overestimation of N'Zogbia's abilities, I don't know.

But Enrique has demonstrated that cares enough about the club or, perhaps just his profession, to work hard. He has good games and not so good games, but all this talk about our desperately needing a left back is wrongheaded. Our back line is thin to be sure, but that is the least of our problems.  Let's get in a quality striker, some creativity in midfield, a replacement for Duff, then we can talk about improvement at LB.

I think that some of the criticisms of Enrique from the start had little to do with actually watching his game than just apeing what other journalists had written. It seemed to me from the start that a certain journalist-- at the Guardian--  repeatedly disparaged Enrique or talked about the club looking to replace him because (1) she [oh, the games up] wanted him to fail; (2) was too lazy to actually objectively watch  him play; (3) needed to pad out her weekly rants and so adding a piece of boilerplate about our "6m bust".  Everybody is so accustomed to NUFC defenders being jokes and our buys from Europe being busts that he was too easily written off IMO.

Yeah, his passing needs improving. But I think that it has improved. Anyway, I'm a fan.

Can't cross for toffee most of the time and seems really reluctant to get forward (fear of getting caught out of position IMO) but aside from that he was excellent.

Comes out of today with massive credit, one of the three best players on the park for us.

Guest firetotheworks

Can't cross for toffee most of the time and seems really reluctant to get forward (fear of getting caught out of position IMO) but aside from that he was excellent.

Comes out of today with massive credit, one of the three best players on the park for us.

Played a few good crosses I thought. One from which Carrol hit the bar. The crossing in general from everybody today was woeful though.

Guest Stephen927

I like the lad, think he's shown a lot of potential though we still haven't seen why he had the nickname of the Bull back in Spain.

Does the defensive work very well, needs to support his winger a little better but it's refreshing to have a good left back when we had so much shit play there such as Ramage, Carr, Babayaro, Huntington and Edgar.

Keep it up Jose.  :thup:

Agreed 100%. Wanted the ball all the time, and put a couple of our midfielders to shame. Everything came from the left hand side today, him and Jonas put in a sterling shift, even if the end product was lacking sometimes.

Agreed, I only noticed one poor pass and his link up play with Jonas was excellent.

His performace today just goes to show that a generally very good defence isn't that far away. The back 4 have all sometime or another delivered excellent performances, its just getting them to do it at the same time.

His performace today just goes to show that a generally very good defence isn't that far away. The back 4 have all sometime or another delivered excellent performances, its just getting them to do it at the same time.

We miss Beye massively. Cattermole. :angry:

Also having a better midfield and attack in front of them...

He benefits from having Jonas in front of him.

Hasn't Jonas played primarily on the right? That was my thought. I checked football-lineups and they show him starting almost exclusively on the right for us. But I think he's moved to the left in recent games-- Man City and today. He and Enrique work well together.

Edit: the Guardian chalkboard gadget shows Jonas on the left in each game subsequent to the Liverpool fiasco.