West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'm still not getting on board with the Carroll hype yet. yes, he's improved so much, but you only have to look at Carlton Cole to realise that you shouldn't count your chickens.

Carroll can trap a bag of sand though, Carlton Cole has yet to master this basic skill.

Guest Stephen927

Cole had a few years of mediocrity with several clubs, he didn't look half as good as Carroll at the same age. Can't compare the two tbh.

Guest Howaythetoon

Right... except he isn't, as virtually every ball that comes to him at chest height sticks to him and gets laid off. I do not recall berating Carroll at any point this season or at the end of last for persistantly giving the ball away.

This isn't about "giving the ball away", this is about technique and close control in general - something which Crouch has consistently displayed as being above average in since day one whereas Carroll has displayed an inconsistency to the point where there is a legitimate claim in saying he's average. In some ways Carroll's control and technique is a bit clumsy and I can see this being an area of his game that will continue to frustrate. Again he is like Shola in regards to his technique and control, a bit hit and miss.

I'd say firstly, Carroll doesn't have Rafael Van der Vaart on the end of his knockdowns, making things a lot simpler for him. However, as Carroll now has almost as many (i may be wrong, it may be as many / more) assists as he does goals, he's obviously pretty decent at bringing team mates into the game. As regards attacking the ball / heading on goal, it's pretty crucial if you have a massive centre forward his key asset is going to be headed goals, Carroll is streets ahead of Crouch in this respect.

He's decent at bringing team-mates into the game via his hold up play etc. I agree but aerially, Crouch is far more clever and adept with his flick-ons. Of course he is better at attacking the ball as he climbs very well, is aggressive and very strong, but in terms of directing the ball via his head in other ways, i.e. playing team-mates in, knocking down to space etc. Crouch is better.

What, you mean like cross body volleys from long high balls?

Look at the goals he's scored, he's scored some amazing goals, he's a very good finisher. He can hammer the ball or place it, he can curl the ball into the net or steer it in, he's a cool finisher who has shown himself capable of scoring all types of goals in a number of ways at all levels.

Crouch was a Villa reserve when he was 21. He had half a good season at QPR in the Championship when they were relegated then a decent season at Pompey, before he regressed massively for 2 years and had to fight his way back at Southampton. He has continued to yoyo throughout his career, flitting between being just too good and just not good enough for the teams he plays for. I won't argue that Carroll is only off the back of 12 months of ludicrous progress and none of us know how it is going to go for him, but to somehow deduce that he'd be lucky to be as good as Crouch who hasn't really progressed from the player he was at 21, when Carroll seems to have the raw attributes to be a far better player, seems a massive leap to make and based purely on your opinion as opposed to any evidence to the contrary. I'm also sure he's kept awake at night by the fact you aren't convinced by him as a player

I've never said he'd be lucky to become as good as Crouch, rather he'll be doing well to reach the heights he has in terms of performances and goals scored at PL and international level.

Regarding Crouch himself, he's a very underrated forward and someone I personally think would be a good addition to any squad in the world because he gets goals, performs and brings a lot to many a side or game, in a professional quiet kind of no fuss manner. He's unspectacular but massively effective, be it when the ball is played on the deck, up in the air, as a lone striker or as a front pairing. He is also a good partner for his fellow forward as he's shown. Carroll has a long way to go and people really do need to accept this. Some of the comments I've read, some of the reviews and what people say on the street you really would think he's the next Shearer.

This is the same player who only last season away to Boro headed a cross out for a throw-in on the right flank, when inside the penalty area. It was easier to direct it goalwards.

I've tried hard to get myself all worked up about Carroll who on paper, a young Geordie scoring goals in the Prem as a number 9 for the Toon in an average side... but I genuinley don't see enough stand out assets to suggest he can go onto become something else, something truly class. Not when your Crouch's who are actually a step above average are considered well, average.

Fingers crossed he bangs one or two in the neet though eh! Oh and proves me wrong because I'd love nothing better.

Right... except he isn't, as virtually every ball that comes to him at chest height sticks to him and gets laid off. I do not recall berating Carroll at any point this season or at the end of last for persistantly giving the ball away.

This isn't about "giving the ball away", this is about technique and close control in general - something which Crouch has consistently displayed as being above average in since day one whereas Carroll has displayed an inconsistency to the point where there is a legitimate claim in saying he's average. In some ways Carroll's control and technique is a bit clumsy and I can see this being an area of his game that will continue to frustrate. Again he is like Shola in regards to his technique and control, a bit hit and miss.

I'd say firstly, Carroll doesn't have Rafael Van der Vaart on the end of his knockdowns, making things a lot simpler for him. However, as Carroll now has almost as many (i may be wrong, it may be as many / more) assists as he does goals, he's obviously pretty decent at bringing team mates into the game. As regards attacking the ball / heading on goal, it's pretty crucial if you have a massive centre forward his key asset is going to be headed goals, Carroll is streets ahead of Crouch in this respect.

He's decent at bringing team-mates into the game via his hold up play etc. I agree but aerially, Crouch is far more clever and adept with his flick-ons. Of course he is better at attacking the ball as he climbs very well, is aggressive and very strong, but in terms of directing the ball via his head in other ways, i.e. playing team-mates in, knocking down to space etc. Crouch is better.

What, you mean like cross body volleys from long high balls?

Look at the goals he's scored, he's scored some amazing goals, he's a very good finisher. He can hammer the ball or place it, he can curl the ball into the net or steer it in, he's a cool finisher who has shown himself capable of scoring all types of goals in a number of ways at all levels.

Crouch was a Villa reserve when he was 21. He had half a good season at QPR in the Championship when they were relegated then a decent season at Pompey, before he regressed massively for 2 years and had to fight his way back at Southampton. He has continued to yoyo throughout his career, flitting between being just too good and just not good enough for the teams he plays for. I won't argue that Carroll is only off the back of 12 months of ludicrous progress and none of us know how it is going to go for him, but to somehow deduce that he'd be lucky to be as good as Crouch who hasn't really progressed from the player he was at 21, when Carroll seems to have the raw attributes to be a far better player, seems a massive leap to make and based purely on your opinion as opposed to any evidence to the contrary. I'm also sure he's kept awake at night by the fact you aren't convinced by him as a player

I've never said he'd be lucky to become as good as Crouch, rather he'll be doing well to reach the heights he has in terms of performances and goals scored at PL and international level.

Regarding Crouch himself, he's a very underrated forward and someone I personally think would be a good addition to any squad in the world because he gets goals, performs and brings a lot to many a side or game, in a professional quiet kind of no fuss manner. He's unspectacular but massively effective, be it when the ball is played on the deck, up in the air, as a lone striker or as a front pairing. He is also a good partner for his fellow forward as he's shown. Carroll has a long way to go and people really do need to accept this. Some of the comments I've read, some of the reviews and what people say on the street you really would think he's the next Shearer.

This is the same player who only last season away to Boro headed a cross out for a throw-in on the right flank, when inside the penalty area. It was easier to direct it goalwards.

I've tried hard to get myself all worked up about Carroll who on paper, a young Geordie scoring goals in the Prem as a number 9 for the Toon in an average side... but I genuinley don't see enough stand out assets to suggest he can go onto become something else, something truly class. Not when your Crouch's who are actually a step above average are considered well, average.

Fingers crossed he bangs one or two in the neet though eh! Oh and proves me wrong because I'd love nothing better.

:tiote:

Nowt

Aye, him and Nolan top scorers in the Prem. You couldn't write s*** like that.

"And Andy moved in with Kevin, and they lived happily ever after, shagging bitches, scoring goals"

You missed 'and fighting round the world':lol:

Only funny if you've seen the South Park episode though

He really showed his quality in the air last night beating the Blackburn defence to the majority of the balls in the air. It's already been mentioned a few times this season but if he had a pacey striker alongside him they could make an excellent partnership, Shola's not doing a bad job really, but someone with a bit more pace and quality would be a better partner for AC imo.