West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I would normally blame Ashley, but this time its Carroll that must be taken out for shooting. By the looks of it we turned down bids prior to this not far from Liverpool's price, yet his is now on his way to becoming a Liverpool player after handing in a transfer request- WEEKS after saying he wants to spend the rest of his career at SJP. Liar. Greedy. He's an absolute traitor.

About as much as a Geordie as Steve Bruce, ffs.

how much are we getting now?

10 mp paid over 10 years, 10 mp after starting 100 times for Liverpool , 10 mp after 50 England caps and the last 5 mp after 100 England caps.

Its £35m plus addons, not £35m of addons :lol:

Mike Ashley

Find it peculiar people are blaming Ashley for his action's today.

He is insensate to the fan and media's opinion of him, so this talk of him masterminding a transfer request under duress to paint him more positively sounds like 100% grasping-at-straws bollocks. :lol:

Maybe had Ashley not been such a gimp in days gone by then Carroll might not have put in a request, but that seems like a pointless avenue of speculation.

Carroll

With respects to Carroll, he is undoubtedly one of the greatest talents of the modern game. He is fantastic in the air, quick, powerful and good technique. He is also insanely young.

So far in his life he's been a bit of a dick (a bit of an understatement). I don't know his reasons for leaving, but there are certain situations in this world where you can either be a hero or a villain... and there is, unfortunately, no grey area. When your ascendancy in his hometown has been as steep as his has been - there is only one way he will be remembered by Newcastle - as a villain.

All this being said, I wouldn't be upset if he became the next Darren 'sicknote' Anderton.

Us and the "mad" world of football

Whether the reasons for Carroll's exit emerge or not, I always find the accusations of players being "fickle" when leaving the mouths of fans. Many Newcastle fans wrote Carroll before his career here had started for crying out loud. For those fans who aren't fickle, it is a big shame, but the sum of money is massive.

I hope Ashley does reinvest it, but I fear he won't. I think we have enough about us in midfield to stay up this league (provided we don't pick up a series of unfortunate injuries) but this has certainly left a bitter taste in the mouth. That we did drive such a hard bargain gives me (false?) hope that this isn't just a sign of us being a selling club.

I would love it if we could get a high calibre footballing £15-20m striker who fits in with a progressive style of plays which revolves around playing football on the deck and working with Ben Arfa. Losing Carroll is a big blow, but it presents a good, albeit enforced, opportunity to rely less on high balls by removing temptation.

Couldn't agree more mate :thup:

No-one speculating on the role of the agent here.. wonder how much he's pocketed out of this deal. Not suggesting it's all down to him but it's another factor in the mix and without disrespecting Carroll too much I don't think he's the sharpest tool in the box.

Guest The_Optimistic

Is it just me or does anyone else not think that’s this does not add up?

5:15 Andy hands in a transfer request that is immediately granted then and 5:30 a fee has been agreed?  Has the club been tempted to accept the earlier bids but would feel like idiots after saying so strongly that he is not for sale?  Does anyone else not think that Andy has been given a back hander to hand his request in to protect the board and understand that they had to sell him and make a tidy profit which lets face it we will not see?

What are the conspiracy theorists going to do if Carroll doesn't come out and contradict the club's claim that he handed in a transfer request? As surely if he hasn't, he'd want to set that straight.

Also, can they please make their minds up about whether Ashley's an idiot or an evil genius, he' can't be both, you know.

Finally, for those talking about lack of ambition. If we're lacking ambition, then what the f*** does that say about Liverpool who are getting rid of Fernando f***ing Torres!!! :o and replacing him with Andy f***ing Carroll!  :cheesy:

He'll have been paid enough money and signed enough agreements to not come out and set the record straight.

Bonkers.

So he hands in a transfer request and misses out on all the "loyalty" fees he would have received and he ends up better off? :lol:

The only way that can be possible is if you think Ashley has paid a s*** load of to keep him quiet, why would he do that? To maintain his good relationship with the fans! :lol: I thought he hated the fans, or at least doesn't care what they think, that's the accepted wisdom isn't it? Yet now he's prepared to pay out a s*** load of money because he doesn't want to upset us? Yeah, righto. Like I said, you lot need to make your minds up and get your story straight.

No offence, but this seems like paranoia on an epic scale to me.

:lol: Exactly.

Ashley has done so much to piss us off (most recently re: Hughton). Why would he suddenly change his stance to try and stop the fans backlashing? We've been backlashing none-stop since he first bought the fucking club :lol:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

No-one speculating on the role of the agent here.. wonder how much he's pocketed out of this deal. Not suggesting it's all down to him but it's another factor in the mix and without disrespecting Carroll too much I don't think he's the sharpest tool in the box.

Heard his agent was Steven Taylor's Dad...  :fishing:

Got to love the delusion of people thinking this money will be reinvested in the squad to a decent degree. I'll be stunned if we make any signing over £8m for the foreseeable future. A fee of £10m+ means big wages and then the rest of the squad want increases etc etc.

Not going to happen.

If you want a move pipe-up before teatime on the last day of the transfer window you fucking wanker. 

That is my only strong feeling on this whole thing.  If he doesn't want to play here, fine.. but he could've said something while we could have used some of the money, the tool.

If I were a Liverpool fan, I'd be livid with this.

That they're leaving the transfer window far, far stronger than they were on Jan 1st?

Yeah, livid. Clueless.

Whereas we are leaving it far weaker - currently 3 players down an dour best player gone.  And virtually all of the lower half teams have strengthened.

It's Jan 09 all over again, but worse.

And some are actually defending Ashley. Laughable.

Is it just me or does anyone else not think that’s this does not add up?

5:15 Andy hands in a transfer request that is immediately granted then and 5:30 a fee has been agreed?  Has the club been tempted to accept the earlier bids but would feel like idiots after saying so strongly that he is not for sale?  Does anyone else not think that Andy has been given a back hander to hand his request in to protect the board and understand that they had to sell him and make a tidy profit which lets face it we will not see?

The transfer request was made earlier in the afternoon.

People jumping on Ashley's back aren't looking at the facts.

We are getting 35m for a 21 year old, you won't find me many chairman that wouldn't have accepted that.

we are getting f*** all.  Ashley is getting 35 miliion

Yep, it's going right in his back pocket.  Half wit.

it will go to his bank account to repay part of his purchase of the club, might see 10 mill on the team- but not this window. btw if you want to call me half wit to my face pm me- i will oblige.

That they're leaving the transfer window far, far stronger than they were on Jan 1st?

Yeah, livid. Clueless.

Whereas we are leaving it far weaker - currently 3 players down an dour best player gone.  And virtually all of the lower half teams have strengthened.

Your posts are laughable.

Ronaldo - £80m

Ibrahimovic - £56.5m

Kaka - £56m

Zidane - £45m

Figo - £37m

Crespo - £35.5m

Add Torres to Chelsea today, the only transfers in the history of football that have cost more than Carroll (and I imagine this fee will overtake Figo & Crespo after the add-ons). It's mental money man.

Yeah, livid. Clueless.

There's a big difference between defending someone, and not blaming them for something that isn't their fault.

In a word: Gutted. Will leave the full post mortem for later on when I am less emotional.

Off out for dinner with the lass now, nearly cancelled but then realised there is no point ruining her day as well as mine. Mobile's going off (its amazing how many 'friends' come crawling out of the woodwork with what can only be described as fishing texts at a time like this. I have thus far managed to rise above it and simply ignore rather than sending replies) and am going to try and forget about football. Can only hope to turn on the PC later to read that we have signed a couple to at least attempt to soften the blow.

I know that no-one wants to hear or will react well to this right now but we will move on. We will go to Craven Cottage on wednesday with at worst the same side that is so far unbeaten in the league this calendar year and are more than capable of getting a result. I feel the hurt, anger and disappointment as much as anybody but am clinging on to the cliched light at the end of the tunnel.