The England Thread

Pilko

Also, let's remember that there is more than one way to play successful football. If the only way to win was pass it like Spain, Arsenal would have won the Premier League every year.

Get Pulis in!

Long time since I've felt this negative about the national football team. Fortunately, I don't have to think about it now until February. We've got some talented players, but we've also got some fucking shit. Too many bits and pieces footballers like Lescott, Barry, Milner, Lennon etc. Thought Carroll did well tbh, could probably be a fixture in the squad. Shame Wilshire was injured, I'd like to see him start in Barry's place in the future game, especially against shit teams. Against Montenegro we played a back 4 and a defensive midfielder against one striker - senseless IMO.

Have to say I'm with Jonny to an extent. Rooney can't be written off already, too young, can still come back. The other 3 however, Barry is obviously not up to standard. And Gerrard and Lampard are both the wrong side of 30, we havn't set the world alight with this 'Golden Generation' as it liked to be called. Why not try and nurture the younger players?

I wasn't a fan with the way he done it, but I was in agreement that Beckham wasn't needed by England anymore. I'm obviously not saying Lampard and Gerrard are as spent a force as him. But it was the beginnings of a good idea, move on the older players and prepare for the future.

Even if we keep saying 'so and so isn't good enough for the international stage', is that what we're going to say when we fail at Euro 2012? They're never going to be good enough if we don't give them a chance to develop.

Rooney and Lampard shouldn't be anywhere near the England squad. Barry and Gerrard too.

:lol:

Aye, what am I thinking? I mean it didn't work at Euro 2004, or WC 2006, or WC 2010. Oh and they didn't even get to Euro 2008. But maybe, just maybe, it might magically work at Euro 2012 :thup:

Lampard and Rooney didn't work at Euro 2004? News to me. Easily 2 of the best platers in the tournament.

I'm not even sure what you're getting at by the part in bold. What's magic? And what do you want to work? You put your best players on the pitch. Rooney is our best striker and Lampard and Gerrard are our best midfielders. At least 2 of those 3 have to be in the side, man. Namely because the likes of as Milner and Defoe just aren't good enough.

But we've shown in the previous two competitions that it doesn't work - we were toothless in South Africa. We need change.

So we need Rooney, Gerrard and Lampard out. To be replaced by who?

One bad tournament and arguably our best 3 players out. Whilst the likes of Milner and Lennon will no doubt continue to be called up.

One bad tournament? I must have missed our fantastic showings at Euro 2008 and WC 2006.

We got to the QF in 2006. The focus aways falls on those who play well consistently for their club but not their country. The players who aren't named Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Lampard, Gerrard are Rooney are a bigger reason for recent failures.

Rooney's had a terrible 6 months, doesn't change the face he's our best player by a mile.

Guest neesy111

Also, let's remember that there is more than one way to play successful football. If the only way to win was pass it like Spain, Arsenal would have won the Premier League every year.

Are you wanting Big Sam in-charge by any-chance?

Rooney is going to be integral to the national team for at least the next 3 or 4 tournaments. He's been playing poorly recently but the talent hasn't gone.

He's a phenomenal player who'll get his shit together sooner rather than later. To write him off is mental.

The problem is, I doubt Capello is bothered. He's off after Euro 2012. He'll be more interested in trying to win the tournament than any sort of long-term project of blending the young players together. It all points to him half-heartedly giving different young players a go; one or two may make it into his regualr plans, but I can sadly see the Euro 2012 team being not too dissimilar to the one that made no impression in South Africa. :thdn:

Get Pulis in!

Are you wanting Big Sam in-charge by any-chance?

:facepalm:

If Rooney's on his game I don't see a place for a big man alongside him, I think we look far more dangerous with a poacher such as Defoe, someone who Rooney can feed, against the shit teams especially - Bulgaria being the most recent example. A big man is more useful against the better teams as it's more important to keep hold of the ball when you get it, as you might not see it again for a few minutes once it's gone.

Guest neesy111

Big Sam <---------------------------------------------------------------------------> Arsenal

ONE OR THE OTHER!

Has to be the guy that use's a megaphone in training.

Don't think Carroll should be part of the England set-up personally for a few reasons:

1) I'm greedy. I want him scoring goals for Newcastle/not injured!

2) To use such a great physical threat in a striker well, you need diagonal balls and crosses - not long balls. There simply isn't enough training/playing time for the England squads to build a rapport that Arsenal - or to a lesser extent even Newcastle, have! You may mock, but the understanding of our players (yes, even the much-maligned Nolan!) is really effective at creating space so players like Barton can put decent balls in - he doesn't have the pace/trickery to create much for himself, after all.

Without the Coloccinis of this world, the Carraghers will smash the ball long instead of playing it out. Carroll is great for a decent system, but in a poor system he encourages bad habits which are easily snuffed/dealt with.

In a similar vein, while I feel Lampard is a highly effective player for Chelsea, I think he is far weaker as a central midfielder in the England set-up than even the inexperienced Wilshere would be.

I would like us to be more attacking which I believe would suit our players. Trying to play all continental ironically has us playing like a bad stoke imitation

Carroll        Bent

Rooney

Johnson   Gerrard     SWP

Cole Terry? Ferdinand Richards

Hart

Notes: Not sure if Terry is gonna be fit enough to play for england again. And play Gerrard or Lampard depending who is fitter/best form. Possibly Downing on the left with recent form.

The reasoning mainly is the front two need balls into the box. SWP and Johnson on their proper foots can provide this. And I think Rooney would benefit playing behind the two CFs. I don't think he does the CF role in 442 well at all and hes piss poor at being the lone man, just a waste.

If we carry on playing with a Carroll like player up alone upfront, we should have Wallcott running off him, not gerrard.

I slightly disagree with a couple that are saying they're unsure about Carroll in the England team/decent backup etc.

Amongst all the shit-ness of tonight's performance, there was something about Carroll in that England team that just felt right. Stick him up front in a 4-4-2 with an in-form Rooney and give him a decent quality of service from the flanks (which he didn't get tonight) and he could be exactly what they need up top.

Guest Chubby Jason

I would like us to be more attacking which I believe would suit our players. Trying to play all continental ironically has us playing like a bad stoke imitation

Carroll        Bent

Rooney

Hart

Notes: Not sure if Terry is gonna be fit enough to play for england again. And play Gerrard or Lampard depending who is fitter/best form. Possibly Downing on the left with recent form.

The reasoning mainly is the front two need balls into the box. SWP and Johnson on their proper foots can provide this. And I think Rooney would benefit playing behind the two CFs. I don't think he does the CF role in 442 well at all and hes piss poor at being the lone man, just a waste.

If we carry on playing with a Carroll like player up alone upfront, we should have Wallcott running off him, not gerrard.

SWP in the team at all gives me nightmares. Having him in a midfield three makes me vomit faeces out of my mouth...

Carroll        Bent

Rooney

Hart

god almighty that team would get smashed

Guest neesy111

Wouldn't bet against Agbonlahor becoming a star in time for the euros or the world cup.

My problem with Gabby is that he's been around for 3-4 years now, and hasn't progressed too much for me.

He's fast like, but limited. He can go on decent spells of form and when he's hot transforms Villa (along with Young) in to a CL chasing team, but suffers from niggling injuries and struggles for any real consistency.

Would love to have a player like him for us playing alongside Carroll.

Carroll        Bent

Rooney

Hart

:kinnear:

Wouldn't bet against Agbonlahor becoming a star in time for the euros or the world cup.

My problem with Gabby is that he's been around for 3-4 years now, and hasn't progressed too much for me.

I don't think he'll ever become more than he is, which is a good player, but not great. He's one dimensional, imo.

Carroll        Bent

Rooney

Hart

:kinnear:

I don't know what's worse, the fact that he's got six out and out attacking players on the pitch, or the fact that he wants SWP to be one of them. No balance and one of the worst wingers to ever have so many caps in the team.