The England Thread

Pilko

Just got home, only know the scoreline - I'm going to make a guess:

England were shite. The game was really boring despite three goals. The temptation of having a big man up-front was too much for the England team and they hoofed it to Carroll - and he looked shite as a consequence?

England were shite. The game was really boring despite three goals. The temptation of having a big man up-front was too much for the England team and they hoofed it to Carroll - and he looked shite as a consequence?

Correct except he actually looked quite good.

Everything spot on apart from the last bit.

Carroll did well relative to the abysmal service he got. We were outplayed for the most part. But no, not far wrong.

AC must be annoyed though - England started getting some service into the box once he'd gone off.

Amazing that we scored as soon as Gerrard went off, we went two up front with two proper wingers.

Still, no doubt the f***ing idiot will be back to 4-5-1 with Rooney up top and Gerrard/Lampard/Barry in midfield.

Utterly pathetic display. Good thing it was a friendly and I'm able to laugh about it, had this been NUFC, I'd have been utterly disgusted with every single one of the players on the pitch (Carroll might have been the exception).

What the hell is Lescott doing for their second? Why is he seven to eight yards away from Nasri when the ball is played in, and as he is, why doesn't he even try to get closer once it's clear that's where it's going to end up? Why the hell hasn't Gerrard or Henderson picked up on Valbuena rushing in from midfield? Utterly woeful defending there.

England are 6th on the Fifa ranking? :lol:

You're not even the 6th best team in Europe.

Should never pay any attention to those rankings. Pointless things.

They're a marker on current form, and usually remains a good marker even though it pretends to say that it gives the ranking of the best nations in the world, which it doesn't. I look at it as a guide to which nations have been in good form recently compared to others.

That said, you still shouldn't be 6th. :lol:

You wouldn't think this because Norway are currently above World Cup QF's Paraguay amongst other teams they aren't better than would you?

That was my exact point. While it does pretend to say which teams are currently the best in the world, what it does is give an indicator on form vs. opponents placed on the same ranking. Norway have not met Paraguay in recent history, so the point isn't valid as Norway have been in good form and beaten a lot of teams placed high on the rankings in the last year, whist Paraguay (albeit having a good WC) have not had the same form against team placed high on the rankings. Which team would be the better side if pitted against eachother is another discussion entirely.

There were more noteworthy changes, such as Jordan Henderson making his debut, but it was the Sunderland player's ill-fortune in the first half to discover that he could not be a deep-lying playmaker when France's control made him defend. Worse still, the opposition concentrated initially on his area of the field and employed that channel to score. The other England player in Fabio Capello's starting XI to receive a first cap was Carroll.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/nov/17/england-france-international-friendly

Can't believe Gerrard being lauded and someone's just called in on "You're on Sky Sports" saying he should be captain and how great he was. He was one of the main culprits for England's abject performance today. People just don't seem to get it.

A midfield of Huddlestone and Wilshere would be no worse off defensively, as Gerrard and Barry don't defend well anyway, but would guarantee England a far better base from which to set up their attacking play from. Will it ever happen though? No chance. Got to get Gerrard, Lampard and Barry in there somehow. Disastrous.

It was only a week ago I was listening to some ball bag talk about a lack of youth available to Capello, it’s an absolute fallacy. We have some top quality youngsters coming through but it’s a lack of willingness to try them. It’s been a long time coming the likes of Henderson and Carroll have been given a chance and it’s taken injuries to the mangers favourites for it to happen.