Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

The Souness/Roeder days must have been awful for him. Shay had probably his poorest form since the initial 'battle' between the two when Souness was in charge and he barely got a game even in the cups; whilst Roeder made him play through injury and then took him straight back out for Given as thanks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2325842/Steve-Harper-remembers-best-worst-20-year-Newcastle-United-career-ends-Sunday.html

A few extra bits from the Mail's version.

Daftest player

‘Steven Taylor would be up there. So would Tino Asprilla. And Budgie (John Burridge), although he was a coach. He got himself on the bench ahead of me for one game. I’ve still got the scars.

‘Budgie was crazy. He used to ring me, my dad would answer the phone and he would say: “Tell Steven it’s his dad”.

'And my dad would answer: “It is his dad”.’

Best saves

‘I made one on my debut against Boro from Brian Deane. The ball bounced up and I got it over the bar, but it was pretty much all downhill from there.

‘Sheffield United was very important in the Championship. We were backs to the wall and I pulled off a save. That was a momentum-building moment for us.

‘People had written us off, a lot of questions had been asked, but we had that spirit and togetherness. The dressing room we had then was a real high.’

Best three games

‘Juventus was pretty special. We’d played Blackburn in awful conditions and Shay had a terrible time. Bobby said ‘you’re playing’ and I was like ‘yeah, great’. And then I realised it was Juventus! I had a pretty quiet night and we managed to win.

‘Plymouth, winning the league down there, especially after an eight hour bus journey because of the ash cloud.

‘In the dressing room afterwards, we were six inches deep in liquid! This old guy came in with cups of tea for Joey Barton and Alan Smith and we all started singing ‘there’s only one Bobby Robson’. He loved it as well. That’s the last I remember of that night.’

Newcastle 4 Arsenal 4

‘It was incredible. When we came into the dressing room at half time I just walked through the door and said if anyone puts the white flag up here it is going to be double figures.

‘Then the gaffer made a fantastic speech in which he - how shall I put it - reminded people of their responsibilities.

‘To come back and draw that game just sums up the emotion of being a professional footballer. To be 4-0 down after 26 minutes in front of the Gallowgate End was not much fun.’

I wish he comes back in some capacity in the future.

Some of the players who aren't usually in the spotlight during the careers often go on to be a good coach or manager..judging by the comments of many who say Harps is a rock in the dressing room already shows he can have a big influence on others..

Will miss seeing him on matchdays be it in the warm-up, match or on the bench. Hope he gets his moment to savour on Sunday.

* I just hope Sky will give some time to show Harps walking off the pitch on Sunday. I know Sky will probably be going around the grounds regarding that Champions League place but why not also give some air time to Harper too..an interview at least

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2325842/Steve-Harper-remembers-best-worst-20-year-Newcastle-United-career-ends-Sunday.html

A few extra bits from the Mail's version.

Daftest player

‘Steven Taylor would be up there. So would Tino Asprilla. And Budgie (John Burridge), although he was a coach. He got himself on the bench ahead of me for one game. I’ve still got the scars.

‘Budgie was crazy. He used to ring me, my dad would answer the phone and he would say: “Tell Steven it’s his dad”.

'And my dad would answer: “It is his dad”.’

Best saves

‘I made one on my debut against Boro from Brian Deane. The ball bounced up and I got it over the bar, but it was pretty much all downhill from there.

‘Sheffield United was very important in the Championship. We were backs to the wall and I pulled off a save. That was a momentum-building moment for us.

‘People had written us off, a lot of questions had been asked, but we had that spirit and togetherness. The dressing room we had then was a real high.’

Best three games

‘Juventus was pretty special. We’d played Blackburn in awful conditions and Shay had a terrible time. Bobby said ‘you’re playing’ and I was like ‘yeah, great’. And then I realised it was Juventus! I had a pretty quiet night and we managed to win.

‘Plymouth, winning the league down there, especially after an eight hour bus journey because of the ash cloud.

‘In the dressing room afterwards, we were six inches deep in liquid! This old guy came in with cups of tea for Joey Barton and Alan Smith and we all started singing ‘there’s only one Bobby Robson’. He loved it as well. That’s the last I remember of that night.’

Newcastle 4 Arsenal 4

‘It was incredible. When we came into the dressing room at half time I just walked through the door and said if anyone puts the white flag up here it is going to be double figures.

‘Then the gaffer made a fantastic speech in which he - how shall I put it - reminded people of their responsibilities.‘To come back and draw that game just sums up the emotion of being a professional footballer. To be 4-0 down after 26 minutes in front of the Gallowgate End was not much fun.’

where was that against liverpool?

As soon as he talked about depression, i knew it would be under Souness. He played so few games and Given was out of form. Was it under Souness he let the Xabi Alonso goal in too? I imagine it just killed his confidence. I know it probably happens everywhere, but do we not have a hired sports psychologist at the club to help with this? I would be very surprise if over a decade, it was just Harps and Yo Cabs who have suffered with this.

Great man he is imo. Loyal servant to the club and always more than just ready when he was needed.

Never looked rusty, unfit or not in the right state of mind when needed when the likes of Given or now Krul couldn't play.

Wish him all the best tomorrow and all the best after that.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/8717263/Premier-League-Newcastle-keeper-Steve-Harper-talks-about-feeling-depressed

The best thing about the lad was that most of us like him very much eventhough he was never a regular in the team over the years he was here..but the amount of respect he gets and the appreciation he rightly deserves is more than some of the players that actually had the opportunity to pull on the black and white shirt for us on a regular basis..

Tremendous respect for him..wished we could have subbed him off in the final few minutes this Sunday but don't think it will happen because of the lack of keepers we have right now

I might have just dreamt this up, but i used to sit in the front row of the Gallowgate and i'm fairly sure he had his kids as mascots once before. But i can't remember the occasion.