Jermaine Beckford signs for Everton. Yey!

Stifler
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sam Matterface just updated his twitter saying

"Jermaine Beckford is staying with Leeds- i've just received proof from his agent. "

We will pick all these players up at the end of the season and screw their greedy bastard clubs I reckon.

In my opinion, provided the player doesn't put a hissy fit and stays focused, it will be bad business for Leeds selling him. 1,5m won't buy a proven replacement and it would jeopardize their promotion campaign. Better to just leave him go on a free with the team in the CCC if you ask me.

In my opinion, provided the player doesn't put a hissy fit and stays focused, it will be bad business for Leeds selling him. 1,5m won't buy a proven replacement and it would jeopardize their promotion campaign. Better to just leave him go on a free with the team in the CCC if you ask me.

agreed.....but then again its ken bates.

But what if his head's already been turned, a la Lescott at Everton, and his performances turn to shit? Then they're stuck with a player who is off form, and still face the prospect of replacing him come June. If they had any sense, they would be lining up a replacement now, and take a deal this month. Fuck, £1.5m for a L1 player with 6 months left on his contract, that's good money...

Sam Matterface just updated his twitter saying

"Jermaine Beckford is staying with Leeds- i've just received proof from his agent. "

The same agent that said he didn't want to leave Leeds, just days after he had already handed in a transfer request? Like anyone's going to believe a word he says.

Ken Bates vs Mike Ashley is like the irresistable force meeting the immovable object.

Ken Bates vs Mike Ashley is like the irresistable force meeting the immovable object.

Doug Ellis as the Special Referee??

Doug Ellis as the Special Referee??

Doug Ellis... didn't Villa win the EC and the league in the 2 years out of 40 that he wasn't running the club or something like that?

EDIT: Yes, it Saturday night and I'm at home, BORED. Bear with me.

Pretty terrible show if we've let this one slip like. The guy put in a transfer request ffs.

To be fair if Leeds want to ask for silly money then I am more than hapy for us to walk away.

Yep, £1.5m should be more than enough for a 26 year old striker who has never shown anything more than an ability to score in the 3rd division and he has 6 months left on his contract.

Far more proven players have gone for that due to the same contract situation, I can't complain that Leeds are trying to get as much as possible but that's their gamble and I wouldn't want us to spend silly money when we might not have much of a budget in the first place.

Harewood back till the end of the season for £250,000 is a decent option to fall back on even if I think we would probably be able to flog Beckford back for what we paid.

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/beckford-to-remain-at-elland-road-20100117_2247585_1935123

BECKFORD TO REMAIN AT ELLAND ROAD

Leeds United are pleased to confirm that striker Jermaine Beckford will be staying on at Elland Road for the remaining duration of his contract.

Conversations have been ongoing with the player and his representative since a transfer request was handed in on December 30.

The subsequent public knowledge of his transfer request has not been helpful in terms of stability, but having spoken with Jermaine all parties have decided it is in everyone's best interests that he stays until the end of the season and continues to help the club's bid for promotion.

This is despite several financial offers that have been made to the club.

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/beckford-to-remain-at-elland-road-20100117_2247585_1935123

BECKFORD TO REMAIN AT ELLAND ROAD

Leeds United are pleased to confirm that striker Jermaine Beckford will be staying on at Elland Road for the remaining duration of his contract.

Conversations have been ongoing with the player and his representative since a transfer request was handed in on December 30.

The subsequent public knowledge of his transfer request has not been helpful in terms of stability, but having spoken with Jermaine all parties have decided it is in everyone's best interests that he stays until the end of the season and continues to help the club's bid for promotion.

This is despite several financial offers that have been made to the club.

58 pages for nothing then (unless Newcastle resurrect a deal in the Summer when he's out of contract).

I can't say I'm upset about the deal collapsing. If he still wants to come in the Summer and the club still want him we'll get him for free.

You can imagine the bargaining process:

Leeds: 'We want £2.5 million.'

Us: 'How about a million?'

Leeds: 'No, we've made our position clear.'

Us: '£1.5 million?'

Leeds: 'Erm...'

Us: '1.5 million and a further million if we are promoted?'

Leeds: ' How are not getting this?'

Us: 'OK, erm, 1.5 million?'

I thought Beckford was more of a risk than Chopra anyway, so if we got Chopra for £2m (as one paper said) then I'd be relatively pleased.  Even if it is just to get us the goals to get promoted as promotion is worth a lot more than a couple of million.

Whether Ashley would be willing to spend more than £1m however... :rolleyes:

Harewood or nowt it is then.

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/becks-spells-out-his-promotion-desire-20100117_2247585_1935126

BECKS SPELLS OUT HIS PROMOTION DESIRE

17 Jan 2010

Striker's promotion aim with Leeds...

Leeds United striker Jermaine Beckford has pledged his immediate future to helping fire the club back to the Coca-Cola Championship.

The club confirmed on Sunday that Jermaine would remain until the end of the season, and Becks is determined to continue to play a major part in the promotion bid.

"After a lot of thinking over the last few days I have decided to withdraw my transfer request and commit my immediate future to Leeds United," he said.

"It was never a comfortable decision to ask for a transfer in the first place, but after the game against Manchester United and the unbelievable reaction from the Leeds United supporters in the Wycombe match I have decided I want to finish what I have been striving to do for the last two seasons - and that is to help promote Leeds United out of a division which the club doesn't belong.

"Every time I put on the Leeds United shirt I give 100 per cent and can assure the fans, the manager and everyone connected with the club that I will continue to do that."

Becks is the club's leading goalscorer with 20 goals so far this season. In 135 appearances since joining from Wealdstone, Jermaine has scored 74 goals.