Wayne Routledge signs 3 year deal with Swansea

clintdempsey

If Nolan is out next weekend, on reflection i'd like to see:

Barton      Tiote       Guthrie       Jonas

Routledge

Carroll

Would be very interesting to see Routledge off Carroll.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Routledge

Carroll

Think he could do well in that role

Hopefully today will give him a confidence boost. To be fair if you can have a good game when up against Ashley Cole, the rest of the league's collection of left backs isnt too daunting.

Routledge

Carroll

Fortunately I'm sure we won't. He doesn't have the skill or the brain for that position.

IMO Routledge is technically very limited. If he gets the chance to beat the full back for pace on the outside, then you have a 50-50 chance of a decent cross. He's ineffective in other situations. He's got no left foot, he can't hit it with the outside of his right, and he even has trouble passing the ball to a team mate on his right hand side.

Don't think he'd work off the striker. I don't think he has the intelligence to link midfield to attack; plus his limitations would be easier to exploit with him in a more central role - ie, getting caught in possession. If we're gonna play him, keep him out wide where we can utilise his only two attributes - pace and cross.

Not that i'd play him...

I definitely disagree with the outside of the right bit.

Agree, crazy to have mentioned that as a flaw when he actually crossed one with the outside of his foot today. Not many have the skill or confidence to do it, and I was surprised to see it from Routledge tbh.

Did well today bearing in mind Ashley Cole is one of the best left backs in the world.

I always said he was dropped too quickly and I still think that we look a much happier side with him balancing our play down the right. His crossing was a bit wayward at times, but he didn't really get that many opportunities.

Did well today bearing in mind Ashley Cole is one of the best left backs in the world.

I always said he was dropped too quickly and I still think that we look a much happier side with him balancing our play down the right. His crossing was a bit wayward at times, but he didn't really get that many opportunities.

He deserved dropping. He'd literally given up trying to do anything useful. A good performance from him today. Hopefully he keeps it up and doesn't go back to his previous games.

I definitely disagree with the outside of the right bit.

Agree, crazy to have mentioned that as a flaw when he actually crossed one with the outside of his foot today. Not many have the skill or confidence to do it, and I was surprised to see it from Routledge tbh.

That I don't remember, but if it happened I don't think it's a regular feature of his game.

What drives me most spare is his reluctance to try and feed a player who is making a run outside of him. That kind of pass isn't the most difficult in the world, but it needs an element of touch and accuracy that he doesn't seem to trust himself to find. He often ends up wasting that situation by crabbing his way inside.

played well today though a little annoyed that he, at two points in 5 mins in the first half, had the doing of cole, got half a yard on him outside, then seemed to think "hang on, this is ashley cole, shouldn't push my luck, i'll hold it up and lay it off simple" instead of hitting the gap he'd made for himself.

Routledge gave us good width that we only get when we play 2 wingers, Chelsea had to defend the full width of the pitch and we might have made more of it if we'd had 2 forwards attacking through the middle instead of 1 and a bit.  Too often we have a massive gap on our right side when we don't play him, the same as when we were playing him and not Jonas, we had a massive gap on our left.

I thought he was ok, just had fuck all to work with. A few times he would make a promising run but be covered by 74 West Brom players because no-one else bothered to move.

74 might be a few more than really covered him.