Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

Why do some french sides have the term olympique in their name. United, city etc are fairly obvious. I know there's plenty of local sides down under with olympic in there name, because they're from greek neighbourhoods. Just wondering?

IIRC it's because they were formed when the Olympic movement (remember Pierre de Coubertain was French) was starting and they were intended not as just football clubs, but multi-sport clubs to foment the practice of sports amongst the population, which was one of the pillars of the modern Olympic movement.

Some of the French people or Baba might know better though.

Why do some french sides have the term olympique in their name. United, city etc are fairly obvious. I know there's plenty of local sides down under with olympic in there name, because they're from greek neighbourhoods. Just wondering?

IIRC it's because they were formed when the Olympic movement (remember Pierre de Coubertain was French) was starting and they were intended not as just football clubs, but multi-sport clubs to foment the practice of sports amongst the population, which was one of the pillars of the modern Olympic movement.

Some of the French people or Baba might know better though.

Cheers, that's good enough for me.

Bet you he's regretting signing that contract now.

Did you post in every thread with your doon 'n' gloom? Bet if you'd been at the ground today you'd have been walking out after 30 minutes. :lol:

Bet he can't wait to get back more like.

God i hope he was there today. I know that he's committed himself to us already, but today epitomised the club and the current playing staff. If he was at SJP, to witness that, surely he's gonna be chomping at the bit to get back as soon as possible.

God i hope he was there today. I know that he's committed himself to us already, but today epitomised the club and the current playing staff. If he was at SJP, to witness that, surely he's gonna be chomping at the bit to get back as soon as possible.

Assuming he didn't leave at half time he'd have pure pissed himself during the second half. Can't wait til he's back.

His assessment today. Hope the news is good

Some good news on that front in the coming days, Barton signing a new contract combined with the result today we will be flying for the Blackburn game.

Then we will probably lose 3-0. Such is the Newcastle way!