Shane Ferguson joins Millwall on a permanent deal

Pilko

Given that he's one of our best wide players, there's no way he should be going anywhere.

I agree, we need him here, but this is more because of our deficiency than anything else. As a player, I think it would very beneficial for him to just start every single week as a professional against other professionals. He's never had the opportunity to do this at any point in his career. Even this season, I think he'll consistently be on the bench and will be involved more than before, but I don't really see him becoming a starter, as much as the supporters will want it.

Don't think there's any way Pardew will drop Jonas, which is unfortunate if we're staying with a 4-4-2 because he's absolutely finished as an offensive force out wide. Would love to see Ferguson get a few games on the left wing for the first team.

Another option would be Ferguson at left back and Jonas LW. Ferguson overlapping down the left giving us width and Jonas helping to protect Ferguson defensively.

Hope to see plenty of him in the coming months in any case, he's at that age where he really needs to start breaking through and as others have said he's impressed pretty much every time he's gotten a chance in the first team.

The one thing that I think holds him back is his height. I suspect that Pardew is wary of a sucker punch of a cross to the back post, which leaves him exposed in the air.

His tackling seems okay and he's great in possession, so if he can develop techniques for dealing with that situation, then there's nothing to stop him from being one of the Premiership's best full backs.

He'd be great as a wing back, but hardly anyone seems to play that way now.

I'm not sure today was the best day to have him in at left back. Thankfully Valencia didn't start, otherwise it could have been pretty horrific. He will have far more joy on the wing than Ben Arfa will do though.

He was getting raped during that first 20 minutes, but he was involved in some decent attacking movements later in the game.

He's a winger, not a left back like.

:thup:

Was very nervous. Had to be literally shoved up the line by Jonas at times.

He was getting raped during that first 20 minutes, but he was involved in some decent attacking movements later in the game.

He's a winger, not a left back like.

:thup:

Was very nervous. Had to be literally shoved up the line by Jonas at times.

I noticed that as well.  Once he grew into it a bit more though he was doing alright, especially once Man U sat back and let him attack.

Glad Pards didn't drag him off at half time, could have ruined his confidence completely. Was reluctant to get forward in the first half, but that is hardly surprising given we were 2-0 down and Man U had the lion share of possession during the first 15 minutes. Got forward well in the 2nd half, would still rather see him as a left winger though.

His name's too long, to fit into a song, Ferguson, Ferguson!

Glad Pards didn't drag him off at half time, could have ruined his confidence completely. Was reluctant to get forward in the first half, but that is hardly surprising given we were 2-0 down and Man U had the lion share of possession during the first 15 minutes. Got forward well in the 2nd half, would still rather see him as a left winger though.

Shane/Fame. Easy...and gay but fuck it eh?

I do think he needs to put on a bit of muscle - he really is incredibly small and weak.  With the current sports science knowledge around, there must be a way for him to bulk up a bit without losing his agility and pace.

Shane, Shane Ferguson Tra la la la la?

Like the Craig Bellamy one.

Guest Brazilianbob

Anyone who has seen this kid play cannot possibly believe he does not have what it takes to be an immense success at nufc.

Anyone who has seen this kid play cannot possibly believe he does not have what it takes to be an immense success at nufc.

So excited by him. Will be easily over hyped here. He isn't a world beater but he is refreshing. Tons of hunger, decent pace and willing to take on players. Good old fashioned winger with balls.

I do think he needs to put on a bit of muscle - he really is incredibly small and weak.  With the current sports science knowledge around, there must be a way for him to bulk up a bit without losing his agility and pace.

Messi him with growth hormones or are we too late?

• 1 month later...

I get the feeling he might be a bit one dimensional to play left midfield. He may get found out a bit like McClean at Sunderland.

He'd be a nightmare to track for any right winger in the left though.

Could be a cracking left back but as a left winger it's so obvious what he's trying to do and therefore easy to shut down.