Alan Pardew

JH

Some people really should remember where we were two years ago.

Yep.  Barring Man City away, Norwich away (due to the defence) and Liverpool away, I have been confident of getting a result in every game we have played this season.

Going even further back to the relegation season, I remember almost dreading the home games when I got to the ground, just knowing it was a matter of time before we conceeded.  Turning up for aways saying "I'll be happy as long as we score so I have something to cheer about."

We've come a long way.  Just got to keep it up until the end of the season.

We're 5th in the table, a point of the Champions League spots, in a season where Perch, Best, Shola, Simpson, Ryan Taylor, Obertan and Lovenkrands have seen significant game time. Players who many on here had (and in some cases still have)  written off as being good enough for the squad, let alone the first XI.

If the job of the manager is to do the best with what you have, then Pardew is working wonders to be fair.

Swansea play the way they do because if they didn't, they'd not get half of the results they do. We play the way we do (which isn't half as bad as people make out) because it's proven to get results and is taking us to the brink of Europe.

What is all this hoofball stuff? It feels like an urban myth to me at times. Yes we DO play the long ball a bit, mostly under pressure and more often than not when Best is playing, as he holds up the ball so well. But we play more football along the deck than I have seen for seasons and seasons. I know it's not a perfect example, but you can't watch the first half of the Fulham match and say we don't play our fair share of attractive, intricate, passing football along the deck.

Swansea play the way they do because if they didn't, they'd not get half of the results they do. We play the way we do (which isn't half as bad as people make out) because it's proven to get results and is taking us to the brink of Europe.

What is all this hoofball stuff? It feels like an urban myth to me at times. Yes we DO play the long ball a bit, mostly under pressure and more often than not when Best is playing, as he holds up the ball so well. But we play more football along the deck than I have seen for seasons and seasons. I know it's not a perfect example, but you can't watch the first half of the Fulham match and say we don't play our fair share of attractive, intricate, passing football along the deck.

it's one of those things that becomes an all time truth because it was true in the past or happened once. some more examples, colo is crap now because he was in the season we got relegated, we always play a high line because we have once or twice over the past couple of years, we play hoof ball because we did a while for some bizarre reason after hammering the mackems then scored from it against man utd recently.

I seem to remember SBR having the ball played long to Shearer for the knock downs to bellamy , was was to get past the 5 man midfields that allerdyce and steve moose were deploying at.

I remember some awful football under SBR, its not always shake n bake football sometimes its ugly and when you win ugly thats when you get up the league.

i still see us in evolution anyway, this isn't the finished team.

I seem to remember SBR having the ball played long to Shearer for the knock downs to bellamy , was was to get past the 5 man midfields that allerdyce and steve moose were deploying at.

I remember some awful football under SBR, its not always shake n bake football sometimes its ugly and when you win ugly thats when you get up the league.

i still see us in evolution anyway, this isn't the finished team.

see how many goals from that time you can find that we scored that way. (long high to shearer, flick on for bellamy)

Guest reefatoon

This "hoofball" bollocks I don't understand either, not sure where it originated from.  I think we play both short and long, and use both types of play well.

Can't see what people are getting at with the Hoofball gubbins.

it's one of those things that becomes an all time truth because it was true in the past or happened once. some more examples, colo is crap now because he was in the season we got relegated, we always play a high line because we have once or twice over the past couple of years, we play hoof ball because we did a while for some bizarre reason after hammering the mackems then scored from it against man utd recently.

Agree.

It's a bit like the myth that is sometimes perpetrated on here that we played better "football" when Hughton was manager. My recollection of life under CH was that it involved a fair amount of ball being played in at height to Andy Carroll with the likes of Nolan sniffing around the box playing the predator. And whenever any of the key component players were missing we didn't look too clever, whereas under AP we do seem to be able to pick up some results with a suboptimal starting eleven.

Also, while we do have a great spine to the team now we also have a lot of really bad squad players. The amount of times we've been able to field our best XI this season is minimal (when you consider Cissé has been here all of 5 minutes, too). It's all right saying we have great footballers, and we do have a few that are very good -  but the squad is padded out with a number who are barely Premier League quality. It's difficult to play passing football from the back for example when you have a fullback who is as poor on the ball as Danny Simpson. Pardew has done a great job squeezing performances and moulding results out of substandard players, I don't think it would have been possible to get those same results playing fantastic flowing football.

It will be interesting to see what happens once Tioté and Cabaye are back and we have the two strikers now. Wolves at home, injuries/suspensions permitting will be the first time this season we'll be able to see our strongest team. If we're still playing disjointed hoofball then, Pardew will deserve a bit more stick.

It still won't be our strongest team ;)

Guest reefatoon

This "hoofball" bollocks I don't understand either, not sure where it originated from.

All the french Ben Arfa fans brought that term in iirc.

This "hoofball" bollocks I don't understand either, not sure where it originated from.

All the french Ben Arfa fans brought that term in iirc.

It's like some cult, no thread is safe from it.

From the life and soul of the Pardy:

Here is more from Newcastle manager Alan Pardew, who earlier ruled himself out of contention for the vacant England manager's position.

"I am very, very happy here at Newcastle," said Pardew. "We are on a little project here that's going really well and I want to see it through.

"The passion and everything about this place is why I want to stay here."

He added: "I do hope it goes to an Englishman, just on a personal level.

"I think that's important this time, and I really, really hope that Harry and Spurs and everybody sorts themselves out and can do it in a manner in which it works for everybody."

"I really, really hope that Harry and Spurs and everybody sorts themselves out and can do it in a manner in which it works for everybody."

:lol: Loving the tapping up, get as much in as possible before Saturday.

Guest reefatoon

"I really, really hope that Harry and Spurs and everybody sorts themselves out and can do it in a manner in which it works for everybody."

:lol: Loving the tapping up, get as much in as possible before Saturday.

Exactly right,  keep rattling that spurs cage Pards!!

Guest Roger Kint

See Alan Sugar/Keys&Gray etc all lining up to mock Pardew for saying he isnt interested. Sugar himself being particualrly twattish in saying hes overestimating himself.....what do they expect when every newspaper this morning(and a few radio stations for the past month) have been talking him up in the select few to take over? Obviously Pardew was asked today and answered it, what else these pricks want him to say?

With reference to earlier comments about Swansea, admirable as it is to play that kind of passing game it can actually be quite sterile to watch. It's arguable that the old Wimbledon "up and at them" game was more exciting.

I don't think either way will lead to enduring success and the best teams will be able to mix it and vary their game against different opponents.