Kévin Gameiro

Waddles mullet

Could have done without having I love Horses going round in my head for the last half hour like. Bastards :lol:

And, how did I not know there was a place in france called Brest  :iamatwat:

next season Ligue Un will have Nancy Nice Brest, which sounds like a politically correct nickname

Could have done without having I love Horses going round in my head for the last half hour like. Bastards :lol:

And, how did I not know there was a place in france called Brest  :iamatwat:

next season Ligue Un will have Nancy Nice Brest, which sounds like a politically correct nickname

a clunky one to be fair

Early days, fortunately. Whilst the Cabaye signing should be applauded and looks very promising, this summer stinks of the Roeder/Kuyt one so far. I'm glad we're enforcing these ultimatum's on players - because i can't be bothered with us wasting our summer then panic buying. I was quite pleased when we ended up with Martins but (regardless of how good a player you thought he was/wasn't) - he was just another mercenary who wasn't up for the real battles - which is what you end up with when you panic. It'll be the same with Gyan at Sunderland.

If Gameiro's still not here by the end of next week - it's time to move on. Same with Gervinho.

Guest firetotheworks

I honestly don't see why I'd care if he went elsewhere, he doesn't look anything special to me at all.

Guest magpie99

He clearly doesnt want to sign for us. Past experiences with the likes of Owen and Martins, to a certain extent, should dictate that we look elsewhere.

He is a good player and would be a success in the PL but if we are planning on playing with him as a lone striker, I fear he will get battered from pillar to post in this league.

Look elsewhere

He clearly doesnt want to sign for us. Past experiences with the likes of Owen and Martins, to a certain extent, should dictate that we look elsewhere.

He is a good player and would be a success in the PL but if we are planning on playing with him as a lone striker, I fear he will get battered from pillar to post in this league.

Look elsewhere

Totally different IMO, Owen and Martins both took a step down whereas Lorient to Newcastle is still a massive step up. I'd have full confidence in him to give us his all even if we weren't his first choice.

If Martins failed, it's because his brain power couldn't quite handle the faster pace and generally more unpredictable dynamic of the English game. Not that I think he failed.

Gameiro is different.

Is closer to England move? I thought he was set for Valencia? Maybe the thread title should just be 'Kevin Gameiro'? :lol:

Just reporting what the guy from Lorient said in the French media today

Guest magpie99

If Martins failed, it's because his brain power couldn't quite handle the faster pace and generally more unpredictable dynamic of the English game. Not that I think he failed.

Gameiro is different.

I was basically using a comparison on the length of time it took to convince Martins and Owen to sign for us. It appeared at the time they were both waiting for other options before finally realising they had little alternative. Seems to me that the situation on Gameiro is roughly similar and I wasnt basing my opinions on the collective skills of the players mentioned but more the similarities in getting them to the club. We all know the problems associated with Owen and to a lesser degree, Martins. My worry is that because he hasnt jum[ped at the opportunity, If Gameiro comes, I hope he doesnt have the mindset of Owen etc.

He is "closer to England" because we are the only club that have bid for him. Really can't see him coming here. We will wait and see, glad we are trying for him but hope we have some decent back up options as well.

Guest magpie99

He is "closer to England" because we are the only club that have bid for him. Really can't see him coming here. We will wait and see, glad we are trying for him but hope we have some decent back up options as well.

I think the back up options could well be players from the championship such as Long or premiership reserves such as N'Gog. I am hoping for more than that. Having said that though, I would be fairly confident thast if we signed Gervinho and N'Zogbia, their creativity coupled with the return of Ben Arfa, could see the likes of Best and Shola score plenty of goals next season.

Look elsewhere

I can't imagine we'd want him as a lone striker, given his size. I suspect we're looking at either Gameiro or Gervinho for the same role - wide attacker in a 4-3-3.

I'd agree about the Owen syndrome.

Villa, Rooney, Van Persie aren't especially tall and they do well as lone striker.  It all comes down to what kind of football we are going to play. Hes definately no Carroll...

I can't imagine we'd want him as a lone striker, given his size. I suspect we're looking at either Gameiro or Gervinho for the same role - wide attacker in a 4-3-3.

So you mean we will sign one more striker on top of Gameiro and/or Gervinho? Unlikely imo, although I hope it's Wickham.

Villa, Rooney, Van Persie aren't especially tall and they do well as lone striker.  It all comes down to what kind of football we are going to play. Hes definately no Carroll...

Van Persie is nearly 6 foot 3. Yeah, not that tall is he.

So you mean we will sign one more striker on top of Gameiro and/or Gervinho? Unlikely imo, although I hope it's Wickham.

Gameiro looks more like a Beardsley / Bellamy style player to me. I think we'd still need someone who could lead the line and play with their back to goal a bit.

Folks ain't gonna like it, but Pardew rates Shola. He'd probably like to upgrade, but there may not be many available out there who he rates more highly for that particular role.