Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Cabaye was - and is - a very good player ; he was very keen to see the club progress after his excellent first season and was probably instrumental in getting Debuchy and other French players interested in joining NUFC, but he soon realised that the club was never going to fulfil its potential under Ashley and his minions so he eventually became disillusioned and left.

In doing so, he has done just what many of the club's own supporters have done by refusing to renew STs and nobody could blame them for that so we can't make Cabaye out to be just a mercenary...he certainly WAS that to a degree, but no more so than many foreign players with English clubs and it could be argued that he thought more about NUFC than many other foreign players do about the club they play for.

I certainly don't blame him for trying to do the best for himself and he would probably have still been a Newcastle player if we had progressed after finishing 5th.

He will do well for Palace and he won't be the last Newcastle player to leave for a more ambitious club in the next few years.....

Poty

• 8 months later...

I'm not saying he missed on purpose, but he was not 100% committed to scoring that. You will not convince me otherwise.

Pretty sure he took the ball off Wickham to take the pen himself like. Definitely looked like he wanted to score and then wheel away celebrating like an arsehole.

I'm not saying he missed on purpose, but he was not 100% committed to scoring that. You will not convince me otherwise.

Pretty sure he took the ball off Wickham to take the pen himself like. Definitely looked like he wanted to score and then wheel away celebrating like an arsehole.

Absolutely.

He bottled it because that's the type of player he is

:thup:

Which other player would follow Pardew to a club like Palace knowing fine well the horrible football he'd be made to play? He went there only to keep his place in the French squad when no better club came in.

I don't like Yohan Cabaye one bit but he's a bottler because he had a penalty saved? Bottlers (in that sense) don't usually reach the age of 30 with a perfect penalty record, like.

Guest firetotheworks

He's still the best midfielder we've had in years like. I'm not a big fan of disliking ex-players by default tbh. That sort of thing should be reserved for cunts like Owen imo. He left a Pardew managed, Ashley owned Newcastle for the richest club in the world, playing alongside Ibrahimovic in the Champions League. And leaving is exactly what was sold to him. I don't blame him at all for that. Joining Crystal Palace is still really weird though.

I don't like Yohan Cabaye one bit but he's a bottler because he had a penalty saved? Bottlers (in that sense) don't usually reach the age of 30 with a perfect penalty record, like.

Of course he bottled it, he let the pressure get the better of him and took a shit penalty. Probably never taken a pen in such circumstances before (against former club, used to be adored by their fans, could send them down, just been hurled a load of abuse taking a corner 1 minute previously in the Strawberry corner), words from Anita and Cisse also probably put some doubt in his mind.

He's still the best midfielder we've had in years like. I'm not a big fan of disliking ex-players by default tbh. That sort of thing should be reserved for c***s like Owen imo. He left a Pardew managed, Ashley owned Newcastle for the richest club in the world, playing alongside Ibrahimovic in the Champions League. And leaving is exactly what was sold to him. I don't blame him at all for that. Joining Crystal Palace is still really weird though.

He acted like a little bitch to get his move though.

Guest firetotheworks

We only have the club's word on that iirc, which is worth as much as it did with Carroll etc.

Yeah, I absolutely do not believe he acted like a little bitch. More like the club wanted the fans to think he did. If you'd been watching his Twitter feed after his move, you'd never get the feeling he didn't like NUFC. Even playing as us on FM.

Guest neesy111

We only have the club's word on that iirc, which is worth as much as it did with Carroll etc.

He even admitted it. [emoji38]

With this NUFC? Quite possibly.

I also doubt it was as black and white as him just marching in and going on strike like.

Nah, don't agree with that at all.

He even apologised afterwards, he took a strop because he didn't get his arsenal move.

Tbf when you sign players to sell them to clubs like Arsenal then you don't sell them to Arsenal there's every chance the player will go a bit radge. Also our higher-ups notoriously being absolute wankers behind the scenes will no doubt have been helpful as ever.