Demba Ba (now retired)

jdckelly

Well seems like he's seeing out the season. In an awful kind of way would like a convieniant but minor knee injury to hit him at end of season which will scare the other clubs into thinking he's a liability :/

Can't see us keeping him in summer, hope we keep him this window.

I don't really believe it to be honest:

We paid his agent £2 million.

We gave him a clause meaning he could leave for £7million.

We gave him a clause meaning that he would get £2.5 million of that £7 milion.

He is on £35k a week basic with a £20k appearance fee.

Doesn't sound like an Ashley deal to me.  Can't believe that he would have held that much negotiating power.

Doesn't sound like an Ashley deal to me.  Can't believe that he would have held that much negotiating power.

If it is true it is deeply worrying. Will do anything not to spend money on a fucking striker.

Why not? All profit is profit and Ba held all the cards when he moved here when he could've gone anywhere. If true and I've no idea if it is it was probably one of the key reasons he accepted the relatively low wage/performance based contract that he did.

For example - http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/West-Ham-transfer-news-Demba-Ba-contract-demands-of-4million-per-year-putting-off-Everton-Sunderland-and-Newcastle-article744417.html

Why not? All profit is profit and Ba held all the cards when he moved here when he could've gone anywhere. If true and I've no idea if it is it was probably one of the key reasons he accepted the relatively low wage/performance based contract that he did.

For example - http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/West-Ham-transfer-news-Demba-Ba-contract-demands-of-4million-per-year-putting-off-Everton-Sunderland-and-Newcastle-article744417.html

Don't think Ba did hold all the cards to be honest.  No-one was going pay him anywhere near what he wanted with his knee - any contract he would have got in the summer would have been heavily performance related.  I just don't think that we would have agreed to give him c.35% of a minimum fee release clause and pay him quite a hefty wage into the bargain.

Don't think Ba did hold all the cards to be honest.  No-one was going pay him anywhere near what he wanted with his knee - any contract he would have got in the summer would have been heavily performance related.  I just don't think that we would have agreed to give him c.35% of a minimum fee release clause and pay him quite a hefty wage into the bargain.

But we probably weren't expecting him to be one of the leagues best players at the same time so though it'd be a fair gamble and then like a lot of the other players renegotiate the contract if he does better than expected. Like we did with Tiote last season.

Plus it's rare that this sort of stuff becomes public domain, loads of players probably have all sorts of shit in their contracts that we don't know about. Plus Ba has proved himself already to be decent at getting what he wants in terms of moves/contracts etc.

Anyhoo, lets hope it's all smoke and he's still here on 1st Feb.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Newcastle have a rigid salary cap, but owner Mike Ashley may have to make an exception for the 26-year-old to avoid a backlash from fans.

Not going to happen.

'we tried but it's difficult when the top sides come in. They are being bankrolled by sovereign states and we are not at that level yet'

Newcastle have a rigid salary cap, but owner Mike Ashley may have to make an exception for the 26-year-old to avoid a backlash from fans.

Not going to happen.

'we tried but it's difficult when the top sides come in. They are being bankrolled byva sovereign state and we are not at that level yet'

'But we can compete on the pitch, where we intend to. The capital that this has freed up will enable us to secure Lovenkrands down to a new long term deal'

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Yup. Will probably finish off his business and depart in the summer window, as sad as it is. ACoN might just work to our advantage this window. Barring of course any new contract offer which the club will find far too risky. No chance will he get off the performance incentivised contract onto anything big and long term.

Yup. Will probably finish off his business and depart in the summer window, as sad as it is. ACoN might just work to our advantage this window. Barring of course any new contract offer which the club will find far too risky. No chance will he get off the performance incentivised contract onto anything big and long term.

The ACN is definitely a blessing for you (other than the fact he's not playing for you, obv), as it makes it less likely he'll be moving.

Guest Geordiesned

Since I think most if us in here are already resigned to losing him in the summer, I wonder what excuse Dekka will come out with for not having a replacement lined up when he does go.

I'm clinging on to the hope that Ashley's greed will work in our favour this time. If he does nothing then he'll miss out on a cracking player for a pittance. Offer him a new deal, bin the clause and keep him. When the offers come in he can be in a position of strength to negotiate the best deal possible.

Then again the best deal possible for us is a moot point. Very little, if any, of the cash will go back into buying a replacement. Much rather just keep the player but can't see him being in black and white for much longer.

Since I think most if us in here are already resigned to losing him in the summer, I wonder what excuse Dekka will come out with for not having a replacement lined up when he does go.

He doesn't need an excuse, it's very hard finding the right forward, it's not just about their ability but we also have to make sure they are right for the club. They aren't going to be rushed into a panic buy, if it takes 4 transfer windows to come close to a striker that's what it will have to be.

:hmm: