Fabricio Coloccini (now retired)

BeloEmre

TRANSFER LATEST

More from BBC Sport's Ben Smith regarding the Coloccini situation at St James' Park: "Further talks are planned in the coming days with Newcastle resolved to attempt to do all they can to persuade the Argentina international change his mind.

"But privately, club officials fear that Coloccini has already set his heart on returning home to Argentina. Coloccini is the best paid player at St James' Park on £60,000 per week and has become one of the club's most dependable and popular players in recent seasons."

1210:

TRANSFER LATEST

BBC Sport's Ben Smith with alarming news for Newcastle fans: "Newcastle United captain Fabricio Coloccini has informed that club that wishes to leave in the January transfer window for personal reasons. While the 30-year-old has stopped short of handing in a formal transfer request, a crisis in his personal life has prompted him to tell manager Alan Pardew that he no longer feels he can stay on Tyneside."

You can't keep a player performing well who wants to leave. We're fucked if all this is true. Should have surrounded him with good players in the summer instead of expecting him to carry the dross.

What a crying shame.

Guest icemanblue

It's obviously a massively delicate issue to both the club and our captain. To a certain extent, I can understand the clubs reluctance to issue any kind of statement without the blessing of those involved. I doubt that Colo wants his personal life splashed across the tabloids, so we'll be taking a softly softly approach. I'd guess we're trying to smooth things out, in the background, without taking a hard line with him. This isn't your standard football issue centred around money or performances.

There's an old copy of The Mag knocking about on my bedroom floor and it's caught my eye increasingly in recent days. It's the first one of this season, says "Going For Gold", with 5 Olympic rings and pictures of Ba, Colo, Cisse, Cabaye and Krul within the rings. Every time I see it I kick it further across the room. Fuck 2012/13.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHH the world as we know it is ending, I was hoping for a CB to play with Colo not replace him, can't stand the thought of Williamson and Perch at CB for rest of season and suicide rates on tyneside will be sky high

Guest neesy111

There's an old copy of The Mag knocking about on my bedroom floor and it's caught my eye increasingly in recent days. It's the first one of this season, says "Going For Gold", with 5 Olympic rings and pictures of Ba, Colo, Cisse, Cabaye and Krul within the rings. Every time I see it in kick it further across the room. Fuck 2012/13.

Isn't it about time you cleaned up your bedroom? ;)

It'sobviously a highly sensitive issue that neither the club or Colo want to comment on further.

Nothing to do with Pardew.

Nothing to do with Mike Ashley or Dekka.

Nothing to do with the players around him or lack of.

Thing is even if he doesn't actually leave - to San Lorenzo at least seems very unlikely - what effect will this have on the rest of the players and Colo's own performances which have been indifferent recently?

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport

Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini informs club he wishes to leave in the January transfer window for personal reasons #nufc #bbcsportsday

I do trust BBC, so any lingering doubt I had has gone. Very disappointed at Colo. Could forgive him if he went at the end of the season, maybe, but he's putting us in real danger of going down. All of his loyal fans and the club that has paid him very handsomely, terrible.