Davide Santon (now retired)

Guest taps01

I know Perch and Williamson have filled in brilliantly, and Taylor was playing the football of his life before his injury. But Santon clearly has the potential to be something different. With him, Coloccini and Krul, we have the makings of a top, top class defensive unit. Get the two acquisitions right in the summer and we will be fucking hard to break down.

Was excellent again today, looking more and more settled defensively and I'm loving his marauding runs.

Really excited about how good this lad might become.

Think he'll be a superstar next season. In a weird way, I'm encouraged by how up-and-down it seems to have been with him. He's definitely still on a steep learning curve, and he's made mistakes positionally etc - but I'm very glad of it, if that makes sense because rarely does having that defensive nous come intuitively.

As in, it would be easy to get carried away on the back of a patch of good form (like Sunderland fans with McClean, for example) but you can really see his development when you see him respond to bad moments - which he should have at this stage of his career, if he wants to be a really well-rounded full-back in 2-3 years.

He's the classic example of how being managed well can influence a player. He was totally fucked about by Inter and looked a shadow of his first season, and was hoyed out on loan. Pards could have thrown him in the deep end, but chose to let him bide his time, the odd game here and there and when it was the right time, made him a regular starter. Since then he hasn't looked back.

Looking forward to a full season of him next year, and really hope we can bring in another equally as talented full back for the other flank.

Starting to look class now. A full pre-season and an understanding of what the league is about will really see him come on. I guess they may be looking to move him to the right if they bring in a starting left back?

He's the classic example of how being managed well can influence a player. He was totally fucked about by Inter and looked a shadow of his first season, and was hoyed out on loan. Pards could have thrown him in the deep end, but chose to let him bide his time, the odd game here and there and when it was the right time, made him a regular starter. Since then he hasn't looked back.

Looking forward to a full season of him next year, and really hope we can bring in another equally as talented full back for the other flank.

agree with this :thup: