This "not been tested"...

AlanSkÃrare

Example: have a listen to the first ten minutes of the Times podcast this week. Basically a character assassination of Pardew and the general tone is "well I suppose he must be doing something good on the training pitch because the players are shit".

I think it's been a rather fascinating media reaction to how we've performed up to this point.

I'm not interested in hearing people fawn over us, it's too early in the day and we all know we'll hit the skids (i.e. lose a match) at some point, almost certainly in two weeks' time, the biggest test will be how we pick ourselves up after a defeat, but the amount of people absolutely falling over themselves to denigrate our modest but still highly impressive achievement is quite sad and certainly a damning indictment of the football media's investment in the status quo - I suspect it's because they like to know exactly what's going to happen so that they can sound like they know what they're talking about.

All I've heard about all weekend - on 5Live, on Look North, in print, is how lucky we were to beat Everton yet little mention of Man Utd and Chelsea making bloody hard work of two inferior teams to Everton, no mention of luck coming into play after Spurs took an hour long raping off Fulham, just good old Brad Friedel earning his corn but when Tim Krul does it, it's jammy old Newcastle for the 11th time on the spin. The Guardian podcast last week discussed Liverpool's display at West Brom and how it "showed their title credentials" then in the next sentence said we hadn't played anybody yet!

You could go on and on and it probably sounds a bit like the old "media hates us" that every fanbase feels at times but really, some of the coverage has been downright pathetic, much of it toned like we've done something wrong for turning up and winning games. No matter, we'll probably take a kicking at City and the hacks can breathe a sigh of relief that next week they can wax lyrical about David Silva being a great player, as if they're saying something interesting, original or insightful, instead of having to watch or learn about Cabaye or Coloccini, since that might be too much like doing some fucking work.

N.B. the most ridiculous snippet I've heard re: maintaining the status quo was in a discussion about the SPL, although I can't remember exactly where I heard it - "When someone other than Celtic or Rangers is in the top two in Scotland, that shows there's serious problems within the Scottish game" - no wonder the game in general is going to hell in a handcart with retarded attitudes like that kicking around.

:thup:

Chris Kamara:

"We'll soon know for sure if Newcastle are serious contenders...

People say they are riding their luck, but anyone who saw them against Stoke City will have been given a wake-up call over how hard this team works. You can't buy team spirit and desire like that. The next three games will tell us a lot and if they can get five points against Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea then I'd say they are contenders for the top four alongside Arsenal who seem to have got themselves on track again. Tottenham are in good shape too. I was with Harry Redknapp last Sunday and I knew he was going in to have his pipes cleaned out, so I was pleased his team gave him a good result."

:yikes:

So five points against those three in close succession would make us contenders beside Arsenal and Tottenham.  Are they expected to get 5 points from those games as well to be a top four side are they exempt from Kamara's rule?  ???

Well, we could lose all 6 games vs. Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea, still keep up our points/game ratio vs. the other teams in the league and still land on 73 pts. We would by journo logic have failed the test but we'd probably still be in the Top 4. Good enough? :lol:

I don't see how it's luck if the other team defend poorly.

I've watched us long enough to know when we are getting the rub of the green... Just little moments which can turn another way... Not saying we don't deserve to be 3rd top... And not saying we hold a monopoly on luck this season...

I think it's been a rather fascinating media reaction to how we've performed up to this point.

I'm not interested in hearing people fawn over us, it's too early in the day and we all know we'll hit the skids (i.e. lose a match) at some point, almost certainly in two weeks' time, the biggest test will be how we pick ourselves up after a defeat, but the amount of people absolutely falling over themselves to denigrate our modest but still highly impressive achievement is quite sad and certainly a damning indictment of the football media's investment in the status quo - I suspect it's because they like to know exactly what's going to happen so that they can sound like they know what they're talking about.

All I've heard about all weekend - on 5Live, on Look North, in print, is how lucky we were to beat Everton yet little mention of Man Utd and Chelsea making bloody hard work of two inferior teams to Everton, no mention of luck coming into play after Spurs took an hour long raping off Fulham, just good old Brad Friedel earning his corn but when Tim Krul does it, it's jammy old Newcastle for the 11th time on the spin. The Guardian podcast last week discussed Liverpool's display at West Brom and how it "showed their title credentials" then in the next sentence said we hadn't played anybody yet!

You could go on and on and it probably sounds a bit like the old "media hates us" that every fanbase feels at times but really, some of the coverage has been downright pathetic, much of it toned like we've done something wrong for turning up and winning games. No matter, we'll probably take a kicking at City and the hacks can breathe a sigh of relief that next week they can wax lyrical about David Silva being a great player, as if they're saying something interesting, original or insightful, instead of having to watch or learn about Cabaye or Coloccini, since that might be too much like doing some f***ing work.

N.B. the most ridiculous snippet I've heard re: maintaining the status quo was in a discussion about the SPL, although I can't remember exactly where I heard it - "When someone other than Celtic or Rangers is in the top two in Scotland, that shows there's serious problems within the Scottish game" - no wonder the game in general is going to hell in a handcart with retarded attitudes like that kicking around.

Really sums up the spin they are putting on our great start to the season.

BBC Look North also highlighted "unlucky Sunderland" losing their star forward (the one who was making his second start of the season) missing the point that "lucky Newcastle" had three players substituted through injury.

Still this type of journalism should keep us focused on continuing to prove everyone wrong and is probably preferable to the occasional "fawning" we see.

Couldn't care less about all this media stuff.

To be honest i reckon it'll work in our favour. The players must be keen as mustard for the city game to come around, they've (we've) got absolutely nothing to lose, the whole world expects us to get a hiding. But if we work the way we have all season, keep it tight for as long as possible, who knows?

This whole "they've only beaten teams in the bottom half lol" nonsense is laughable too, Wigan and Blackburn aside, part of the reason Everton, Fulham, Sunderland, Wolves and Stoke are in the bottom half is because we fucking beat them :lol:

Had we lost any of those games, then that side would currently be sitting in 10-9th ahead of Swansea, and possibly Nowrich (2 sides, in the top half, who would also be 'shite' had we played and beaten them).

But aye, THE REAL TEST begins now...

If we get 3 points from the 3 coming games, then we're contenders. Easy as. I'm expecting max a draw at home against Chelsea. Can't see us really getting any points tbh.

5 points would mean we're probably 2nd or 3rd after 14 games, which in my opinion would clearly mean we're title contenders, unforunately, there's no chance in hell we're getting five points. Id make Pissi drink his own piss if we did.

You could go on and on and it probably sounds a bit like the old "media hates us" that every fanbase feels at times but really, some of the coverage has been downright pathetic, much of it toned like we've done something wrong for turning up and winning games. No matter, we'll probably take a kicking at City and the hacks can breathe a sigh of relief that next week they can wax lyrical about David Silva being a great player, as if they're saying something interesting, original or insightful, instead of having to watch or learn about Cabaye or Coloccini, since that might be too much like doing some fucking work.

Well said. 

It's a strange way to go on, wonder whether you get the same reaction with surprise packages in Spain or Italy or Germany or wherever.

looks like it could have been straight from RTG this

collie40  Post subject: Newcastle are crap!

Posted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:09 am 

Location: Sale, Manchester  I've been watching Newcastle with interest after their decent point collection, but honestley they are worse than they were last year. They should,ve got beat by Everton(at home) at the weekend after taking a 2 goal lead. They beat stoke last week at the fortress, but stoke got tanked 5-0 by Bolton, so shows their form! They've also beat Wigan, wolves and fulham, who were all in the middle of bad runs at the time, drew at home with spurs, away with a poor villa side and QPR, beat Sunderland, and a draw at home to Arsenal, when Arsenal were at their lowest point! Even though on paper they have played decent teams and picked up points, it's always been when the other teams have been on a really bad run of form! I'm going for 6/7-0 when they come to our place a week on Saturday! lol

Read more...

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=239102&sid=a305a0a3c3eab07c368f8ef6b6c70e4f

Couldn't care less about all this media stuff.

To be honest i reckon it'll work in our favour. The players must be keen as mustard for the city game to come around, they've (we've) got absolutely nothing to lose, the whole world expects us to get a hiding. But if we work the way we have all season, keep it tight for as long as possible, who knows?

Exactly, the great thing about the City game is that we have high confidence plus zero expectations - that's always a recipe for a surprisingly good performance.

Guest elbee909

Location: Sale, Manchester  I've been watching Newcastle with interest after their decent point collection, but honestley they are worse than they were last year. They should,ve got beat by Everton(at home) at the weekend after taking a 2 goal lead. They beat stoke last week at the fortress, but stoke got tanked 5-0 by Bolton, so shows their form! They've also beat Wigan, wolves and fulham, who were all in the middle of bad runs at the time, drew at home with spurs, away with a poor villa side and QPR, beat Sunderland, and a draw at home to Arsenal, when Arsenal were at their lowest point! Even though on paper they have played decent teams and picked up points, it's always been when the other teams have been on a really bad run of form! I'm going for 6/7-0 when they come to our place a week on Saturday! lol

Read more...

http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=239102&sid=a305a0a3c3eab07c368f8ef6b6c70e4f

What a moron.

Read more...

Can't argue with that., like. :thup:

The difference between a hammering and a decent result in all 3 of these games will be injuries (or lack of them) to key players,which further highlights the need for squad depth. Can we get a point at old Trafford and beat Chelsea with our first team out? Of course we can.

Chris Kamara:

"We'll soon know for sure if Newcastle are serious contenders...

People say they are riding their luck, but anyone who saw them against Stoke City will have been given a wake-up call over how hard this team works. You can't buy team spirit and desire like that. The next three games will tell us a lot and if they can get five points against Man City, Man Utd and Chelsea then I'd say they are contenders for the top four alongside Arsenal who seem to have got themselves on track again. Tottenham are in good shape too. I was with Harry Redknapp last Sunday and I knew he was going in to have his pipes cleaned out, so I was pleased his team gave him a good result."

:yikes:

So five points against those three in close succession would make us contenders beside Arsenal and Tottenham.  Are they expected to get 5 points from those games as well to be a top four side are they exempt from Kamara's rule?  ???

Man United won the title with a mighty five points in six games against the other CL teams the season we were relegated. They lost home and away to the team that came second.

Their record against the bottom twelve? Played 24 Won 23 Drawn 1.

http://www.statto.com/football/teams/manchester-united/2008-2009

For any football pundits reading this, that's FIVE points from SIX games when they were TESTED.