Dogawful Officiating

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I don't think there's any corruption like. It's just complete incompetence.

It’s a kind of incompetence that’s corrupted/biased in the same way generally though. Like, that West Ham decision is absolutely incompetent, but I’d be very surprised if the decision was given with the teams reversed. 

I don’t think brown envelopes change hands, but there’s something in the process/refereeing consciousness that favours certain teams. I think that’s a fair statement.

It's a fear of accountability imo. It's why Fergie and his ilk got their way and small teams get shafted. Clubs with a profile that could kick up a fuss get the calls as a preventative measure. Happens in every sport. Robot refs now.

I agree that the simpler explanation is incompetence but when the game is so utterly rife with dishonesty it's impossible to completely dismiss the notion of corruption. I wouldn't rule anything out tbh. The fact that referees are absolutely bulletproof when it comes to accountability only fuels the paranoia. I've said before that I'd hate for the game to become like televised rugby, where the thing you hear more than anything at all is the deliberations of officials (worsening what's already a pretty miserable spectacle); but we're at the point with VAR now that I absolutely believe it needs to happen just so the individuals have at least an iota of liability. They seem answerable to absolutely no one and we all know these notions of reviews and investigations we're hearing will lead to fuck all. 

There's incompetence, but incompetence has a certain level of plausibility that people will accept. Once incompetence goes beyond that, I think it's perfectly understandable that people will look for an explanation beyond something that seems ridiculously unlikely - that 99.9999% of the people watching saw something, but that somehow two of the people making up the 0.00001% saw it differently, and those two people just so happen to be the authority on what happened. 

In those circumstances even tin foil hat conspiracy stuff seems more realistic than trained professionals being that impossibly bad at their jobs. 

When the official bodies then come and essentially try and gaslight everyone over what happened it just adds fuel to the fire. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

53 minutes ago, Mike said:

It's a fear of accountability imo. It's why Fergie and his ilk got their way and small teams get shafted. Clubs with a profile that could kick up a fuss get the calls as a preventative measure. Happens in every sport. Robot refs now.

Fucking zeebs

From today's Athletic piece:

"Those running the game also clearly believe there are issues with VAR in the Premier League as England is the only major league in Europe not to have a VAR official at November’s World Cup."

Didn’t know that. Also chuckled at Schar's comments:

“The decision on the goal, I can’t understand, to be fair,” said Newcastle United defender Fabian Schar. “I don’t know what they’re doing. Decisions going against the team at the moment? I better not say anything or I will get into trouble.”

Nobody should be under any illusions that it's all a perfect dream elsewhere btw. Lazio are absolutely livid about the penalty they didn't get for a pretty clear elbow against Napoli on Saturday.

The handball law is used very differently in Italy as well, very pedantic about it with VAR. I wasn't surprised to see Conte aggrieved at the Cresswell handball being overturned last week. In Italy that's given as a penalty 100% of the time.

Don't know if corruption is even the lesser charge here because the level of incompetence involved is unfathomable regarding the two disallowed goals.

That ridiculous 'goal' at Watford v a Warnock team all those years ago gets disallowed if he sees a replay - these are seeing replays and still coming to these conclusions. It hard to imagine someone that's watched more than a few games of football can be this inept nevermind having been trained at this for a profession.

I just cant come to terms with that. Its a like a VAR unto itself - if you can disallow those two goals, you can sift for a reason that this is incompetence and disallow the obvious that there were goals and more has to be at play than mistakes - even if that boils down to just personal sub-conscious biases.

Edited by Wolfcastle

At least Peter Walton, writing in the Times about the VAR controversies, was on hand to give his view.

Having said that they got every other decision wrong over the weekend, here he is on Lee Mason;

"To give the referees some credit, I think Newcastle United’s goal against Crystal Palace was justifiably chalked off. Vicente Guaita, the Palace goalkeeper, was fouled by Joe Willock, who was reckless in his contact. The push by Tyrick Mitchell on Willock was not forceful enough to be ruled an offence by VAR."

Made a terrible mistake Lee?

Peter Walton - Hold my beer.

Peter Walton needs a job on Talk Sport.

Dermot Gallagher thought it was a penalty (no advantage eh) and that VAR missed the push as they’d been only looking at the contact with the keeper and Dermot kindly froze the frame where they collided. He was still trying to make an excuse for Mason. 

"Peter, Putin invading Ukraine, yes or no?"

"Well Russian state TV reported that Putin's mission was to remove Nazis and Nazis are bad. I think really it just boils down to Russia defending their sphere of influence, so overall I think he's made the right call."

"Thanks for clearing that up Peter."

The importance of refereeing decisions is a major problem for football and is really hard to resolve. We really shouldn’t have more debate about decisions than about tactics and skill. 

It’s a really low-scoring sport, which means anything that allows or denies a goal is absolutely huge. 

A lot of rules are also subjective, and two people will reach different conclusions. 

VAR really should be sorting a lot of this, but the way it is applied is absolutely disastrous. And then the rules itself don’t help - handball, for example, being an absolute farce. 

We have professional referees with I assume the best training and preparation an official could ever have. So I guess it’s arguable that it’s not really possible to get more decisions right than they do now. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

Feels like every week the media mention an 'orange card' now. The latest saying VVD's tackle was an orange. I really hope we dont do this as it will complicate things more, it will just start conversations of 'was that an orange or a red' instead of a 'yellow or a red' 

48 minutes ago, TRC said:

Feels like every week the media mention an 'orange card' now. The latest saying VVD's tackle was an orange. I really hope we dont do this as it will complicate things more, it will just start conversations of 'was that an orange or a red' instead of a 'yellow or a red' 

If you think someinthing is an orange card then its clearly not a yellow card, so it must be a red. Just wankers not wanting to say big name players should have been sent off.

The standard of referres in England has been embarrassing for a number of years apart from the odd one or two. The time has come now when they should be made accountable for the constant errors/corrupt (I still maintain some are) judgements they are making.