Papiss Cissé

Guest kingdawson

Happy Cisse has left?  

240 members have voted

1. 1. Happy Cisse has left?

• Yes
    • No

Leading goal scorer on the pitch would tend to have the most confidence BUT its not always the case with pens as the more tome there is to think about it the more chance of missing. I say player with the most self belief and for me that's Benny.

Great comments by Pards

OUT-OF-SORTS Papiss Cisse may be handed another opportunity to break his duck at Old Trafford tomorrow as Alan Pardew admits the striker needs "help" to get back on track.

Pardew will defy those who have accused him of taking the Capital One Cup lightly by fielding a strong XI that will include Cheick Tioté and returning skipper Fabricio Coloccini – while Cissé could also play.

The Newcastle boss will take a decision on the forward today but he acknowledges that one approach open to him is to keep Cissé in the team to play his way out of his first run of poor form since moving to England.

The striker has looked below-par in games since the team returned for the start of pre-season, and he missed a penalty on Saturday as his goalless start to the campaign continued.

Privately Pardew is wrestling with the question of whether playing him and Demba Ba centrally gets the best out of both players, and subtle tinkering of the system may be required.

Either way the Newcastle boss will stand squarely behind Cissé as the player’s barren run for the Geordies moves into a third month.

That may mean his second game in a week against Manchester United in a League Cup clash Pardew is desperate to win.

“I have not picked the side yet because I’m just taking in loads of information from Sunday’s game. I will see all the stats and then make a decision on Tuesday,” he said. “But we will help Papiss (in his efforts to get a goal). That is what we are about. Myself and my team have got the best out of most of my players here, particularly Papiss last season.

“That was easy for us. He was scoring goals and you could almost let him run free.

“Now he needs help and that’s where we hopefully come into line.

“He is still getting into positions and for sure, you worry more if he wasn’t. For him, he had three good chances and in training, they are flying in like they always have but in the game situations, sometimes you just need a bit of luck and that is where he is at. I haven’t come across a situation like this (with my two strikers) too often – certainly not as stark as this.

“I remember Bobby Zamora used to go on goal runs when Marlon Harewood was playing for me, then he used to go quiet.

“It’s kind of one gets the glory and the other feels poor about it, I guess.

“That might be one side of it but if they both hit on the same day, we’ll be laughing. Hopefully soon.”

While Cissé struggles for form, Pardew is looking forward to getting Cheick Tiote back into the centre of his midfield. “It is difficult to sum up in words what an impact that has. It is a huge presence for the team and some of our rhythm is gained by having someone like Cheick in the side,” he said.

“He can put the opposition on the back foot. He brings a level to training that a few more players could do in my experience.

“A level of intensity about winning that he showed in all the wrong ways on Sunday.

“But that’s him. He is very important to us. There is no doubt in my mind, if he is fit, he plays in this team.”

Pardew also confirmed that Coloccini will return to the team to add his “calming presence” to the black and white ranks.

“It’s great news for us having him available again,” the manager said. “His influence in the dressing room is so calming.

“He gives us an assurance really and I think we have missed that.

“As well as the two centre-halves have done and they have both been terrific – two clean sheets in last two games – they really have played well and I could not have asked for more in his absence ... but it is just nice having him back in a lot of ways.”

Glad he scored, he looked more confident immediately after that as I dont think he'd have attempted the overhead kick in the last game.

Agree. Good to see him score, and so soon after he came on too. Stopped him having to try so hard, as many alluded to the other day.