Adrian Mariappa stays at Watford

Skirge

United are staying cool in the last few days of the transfer window, although it is understood that a third offer for Watford centre-back Adrian Mariappa has been rejected.

The Hornets are holding out for £4m for the player and, while Swansea City boss Brendan Rogers is keen on the defender having bossed him while in charge at Watford, another of Mariappa’s ex-managers in Malky Mackay – of Carling Cup finalists Cardiff City – is also prepared to take him to Wales.

However, Newcastle – who had Mariappa watched by John Carver and Steve Stone during his side’s 1-0 FA Cup fourth round defeat by Spurs last night – are at ease with the situation and will not spend beyond their budget.

This is largely down to the fact that potential plans are in place to bring defensive target Douglas of FC Twente to Tyneside next summer.

Newcastle have also expressed an interest in Ajax captain Jan Vertonghen, but the Belgian is thought to be holding out for a bigger club according to those close to the 24-year-old.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/01/28/newcastle-rivals-join-race-for-wilfried-zaha-72703-30215055/2/#ixzz1klKCpH4G

Given that Douglas would challenge our first choice and Mariappa would slot behind them I'd want Douglas. I don't ever like buying backup players unless it's a veteran goalkeeper. It's just asking for trouble.

I sort of agree, you should always look at improving your XI and using your demoted players as back-up, but in midfield and attack we really need players to come in who can play 2nd fiddle. We aren't going to get better than we currently have but the back-up is piss poor.

was quiet i thought so not the best game to judge him. nosworthy was much more involved, which is probably tactical. mariappa on the other hand tended to drop back rather than attack the ball or mark closely, which would be ideal for us playing a high line as he can cover in behind.

Yeah remember Nosworthy,  but not gonna say where from  :)

IMO Nosworthy's in the bottom ten worst CB's to have graced the PL. Relies on brute strength and mis-timed tackles. Looks more like a boxer than a footballer. If Mariappa can control him and the defensive line then I say go for it. Other than Colo, our other defenders are incapable of controlling our defence hence we struggle badly when he is not available. A backup to Colo in that regard is just what we need.

Think we will push this one to go through at the last minute for 3.5m, then balls something up and get no-one.

Noone is a decent player.

Guest Chubby Jason

Every time I see this guy's name I get "Mariappa, Marriappa, Mariappa, Bo!" in my head, like that Ayia Napa thing.

you sick bigot.