Europa League or not?

SUPERTOON
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

One thing that i hope changes from our previous journeys in this competition, is that we actually destroy the Levadia Tallinns, Ventspils and Dinamo Tblisis out there, should we face such opposition. :lol: Can still remember Martins looking bored out of his mind during the 0-0 at home to Ventspils. I always liked being in those competitions but fuck, those games were a chore at times.

Can only remember it happening a couple of times; home to Breda and away to Bnei Sakhnin, with the odd 'convincing' scorelines win thrown in there n'all.

Whenever we've been in the UEFA Cup/Europa League (during this last decade), we have looked pretty decent so I'd say it's our best chance to win a trophy.

But being the traditionalist that I am, if I had to choose, I would love us to win the FA Cup (tis a grand old trophy, full of tradition).

• 4 weeks later...

We could win it, tbf. We've done it before, we'll do it again.

Definitely. But to do so, at some point you'll have to start prioritising UEFA games over league games. That might be risky.

One thing that i hope changes from our previous journeys in this competition, is that we actually destroy the Levadia Tallinns, Ventspils and Dinamo Tblisis out there, should we face such opposition. :lol: Can still remember Martins looking bored out of his mind during the 0-0 at home to Ventspils. I always liked being in those competitions but fuck, those games were a chore at times.

Can only remember it happening a couple of times; home to Breda and away to Bnei Sakhnin, with the odd 'convincing' scorelines win thrown in there n'all.

Did we not batter Mallorca at home as well?

Mallorca, Olympiakos, NAC, Ferencvaros, Halmstads, Antwerp etc.

We could win it, tbf. We've done it before, we'll do it again.

Definitely. But to do so, at some point you'll have to start prioritising UEFA games over league games. That might be risky.

screw it, much rather have some fun in europe and give it a good go than compete for 8th or 9th

Mallorca, Olympiakos, NAC, Ferencvaros, Halmstads, Antwerp etc.

Those 2 Antwerp games were class. Home leg against Bilbao was good n'all until their 2 late goals.

What was the name of the team, that had there keeper sent off for handling the ball outside the box? I can remember us hammering them.

Bnei Sakhnin or something, Shearer hat-trick in Israel I think.

• 5 months later...

Couldn't find a better related thread.  Hopefully not a  :giggs:

European football's governing body Uefa is considering ditching the Europa League in favour of extending the Champions League from 32 to 64 teams.

"We're discussing it. We will make a decision in 2014. Nothing is decided yet," Uefa president Michel Platini told French newspaper Ouest-France.

It means seven English clubs and five Scottish teams could qualify for European football's elite competition.

Uefa are looking at changing the format of European competitions from 2015.

"There is an ongoing debate to determine what form the European competitions will have between 2015 and 2018," added Platini.

The former France international said he was not worried by talk of Europe's richest clubs forming a competition to rival the Champions League.

"It's a question that is regularly brought up," he said.

"I can't see how it could work outside the Uefa framework. Who will referee them? In what stadiums will they play?"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20523405

Guest reefatoon

I suppose the positive side of that would be the usual 4 teams would not be constantly creaming in the massive CL money every season.  Throw 7 teams in that mix and it might see a few other clubs having a little more money to spend and breaking up the top 4 every now and again.

I like it, but I think it's a real shame how it affects the preparation time between games. I love football, but the problem with so many matches is the lack of time to train and make progress that way.

For me, it should be on alternate weeks from the Champions League so they can be played on Tuesday or Wednesdays.

I'm sure there will be room in the schedule.