Newcastle United 0 - 2 Man City - 05/06/12 - post-match reaction from page 35

Beren

Dare I re-ignite the old debate, but it did seem at times our gameplan was again to pump it long to two players who can't play that role and tell Cabaye and Tiote to sit deeper than where they could contest the second ball?

Granted City were the much better team on the day, and you would never know now how our middle 3 would have stood up man to man against the opposition, but at home with the crowd behind us it would have been nice to have seen us play in our recognized strongest formation, rather than pander to one of our out of form strikers :/

That said it's hard to fault the players and I applaud them for a wonderful season that I can be quoted as saying that I had no belief at all in our team at the start of the year.

I think the tactics were pretty close to spot on. We couldn't match them attacking without letting them rip us apart at the back. We contained them well by cutting out their play makers in midfield, forcing them to play it long. Don't think we were looking to pump it long at all, almost all of our attacks came from the wings and along the ground, a lot of them starting from just outside our own penalty box too.

We had some great chances actually, probably the better ones in the first half. Just missed that quality. Some of Cabayes passing was sublime though, ridiculous vision.

Man I'm absolutely gutted but it was a very valiant effort from the lads.

Let's just beat Everton and see what we end up with.

Yep, we have to win to give us a chance so lets get at them.

Makes a change from the usual 'if we win and they draw then we have to hope the other team lose by 2.5 goals and win next game with other team drawing' etc that goes through my head every week :lol:

Dare I re-ignite the old debate, but it did seem at times our gameplan was again to pump it long to two players who can't play that role and tell Cabaye and Tiote to sit deeper than where they could contest the second ball?

Granted City were the much better team on the day, and you would never know now how our middle 3 would have stood up man to man against the opposition, but at home with the crowd behind us it would have been nice to have seen us play in our recognized strongest formation, rather than pander to one of our out of form strikers :/

That said it's hard to fault the players and I applaud them for a wonderful season that I can be quoted as saying that I had no belief at all in our team at the start of the year.

Worked against Man Utd twice. Almost worked against Arsenal twice. Worked against Chelsea. We are a counter-attacking side, who sit pretty deep.

Any reports on the lap of honour?

Pardew was dancing along to EIEIEO and Lovenkrands did an extra farewell lap.

:'(

A big player for us in our championship season and a dedicated professional. His goal after the loss of his father was a special moment. Shed a tear.

Guest Shaun

I hope Loven finds a new club, has been a very good player, a brilliant professional and a genuine person throughout his time with us.

Can see him going to Birmingham.

Fair play, fantastic effort from everyone at SJP today, well Howard Webb aside. We can hold our heads high and go into the final game knowing we still have a chance of finishing third, albeit a slim chance, but it's a monumental achievement regardless of where we eventually finish. Congratulations to City too, their fans impressed me at the end, mutual respect shown from both sets of fans after the final whistle as each applauded the other on the way out the stadium. I still don''t like seeing club buying the title, but you can't begrudge their fans this one. :clap:

Also echo the sentiments re:Lovenkrands, seems like a brilliant guy who has loved and fully appreciated his time at the club, wish him all the best in the future. :thup:

Bit of a suckerpunch but there was no shame in that defeat today; we lost because of Yaya Toure and Vincent Kompany, who were both exceptional today. Not sure if i've seen a better defender than Kompany - absolutely imperious.

We weren't bad at all today and i don't think Pardew had it wrong tactically, or anything like that - it was just a bridge too far today.

Buzzing that Spurs didn't win, the season's not over but i think the Champions League hope has all but died away now. No biggie, we can win the Waffa.

The lap of honour was absolutely mint btw. The players got the standing ovation they deserved; really nice scenes. Nice touch with Lovenkrands at the end too. Glad he got his own round of applause, regardless of what some think of him - good servant to the club.

Krul - 7. More hopeless kicking, but he couldn't do anything with the goals, and he kept the defense organised for the first hour or so.

Perch - 8. Thought he handled everything down that side brilliantly. Especially considering the early booking, he was calm and assured. Impressed.

Williamson - 7. He did well, but for a few iffy clearances.

Coloccini - 8. Typical performance really. Can't lay into any of the defenders for the last twenty minutes, it was a different game altogether by then.

Santon - 7. Did alright n'all. Thought he was let down by Jonas on a few occasions; they've not looked like a natural duo at any point this season.

Ben Arfa - 7. Tenacious but was dealt with fairly well. Love how he's bought into the team ethic; he's a real team player nowadays.

Cabaye - 6. Thought he was dogged and his work rate was typically high, but i thought he was wasteful today.

Tiote - 9. Absolute animal, man of the match. Knew he'd have a good game.

Jonas - 5. Looked sloppy to me. Made no impact going forward and his touch was off.

Cisse - 7. Some great touches, no luck against Kompany. He holds it up well for someone so slight.

Ba - 6. As above, really. But thought he was pretty gash in the first half - his touch doesn't look half as good as it did earlier in the season.

Really proud of them all today, just beaten by a better team. The game plan was fine imo and executed well, the only mistake of note was Toure having so much space for his second.

Feel the same, nothing much to talk about in terms of post-match analysis.

I hope Loven finds a new club, has been a very good player, a brilliant professional and a genuine person throughout his time with us.

Can see him going to Birmingham.

Aye that would be a good move for him imo. He still has got a lot to offer, just not for a top 6 team.

Gutted.. I really thought we might have nicked it today.. fkn hate City I really do hate their over reacting roll about over paid money hungry cunt players.

Thought the ref was shocking reffed the occasion not the game, Barrys foul on Demba was a disgrace he was away to be one on one, yes there were other players but all had their backs to goal and Demba was flying.

Colo 7 Perch were brilliant as was Cabaye, Hatem took a while to get going but really did find his rhythm in the end.

Jonas was a machine all game, his fitness level are incredible, Tiotes tellow had an effect on him as did that cunt blowing for a foul on near enough every fkn tackle we made.

ROLL ON EVERTON end on a high, win that and what will be will be.

It's strange seeing such a large percentage of the forum so contented after a defeat, but it's a great testament to our season and the direction people feel the club is moving in.

City are by far the most talented group in the league, Aguero Kompany and Toure were a class above Man U and a class above us today. For me Cabaye, HBA, Cisse, tiote and Colo looked like they could compete, while the others showed heart they knew they had to scrap more, but there's no shame against such a pool of cash and ability. Think the tactics were close to right, apart from the subs, we needed the first goal and nearly got it.

Hope they got the ovation they deserved, and are ready to end the season on a high at Goodison.

Atmosphere was class at times today. Particularly the last 15 minutes of the first half, the whole crowd was really buzzed when we started smashing them on the counter for a bit. If we were ever gonna score today, it was gonna be then. Was disappointed when the half-time whistle went, cos we were in the ascendency.

Really proud of them all today, just beaten by a better team. The game plan was fine imo and executed well, the only mistake of note was Toure having so much space for his second.

Feel the same, nothing much to talk about in terms of post-match analysis.

:thup: Just proud.

I'm disappointed, dejected and proud.

I don't think we could have asked for much more from the players today, but quality prevailed and an outstanding combo of YaYa and Kompany made it impossible for us to get anything from the game.

They're an amazing set of lads and I couldn't be more proud to be an NUFC supporter today though. What a season it's been.

I'm a bit gutted.. but i just feel so proud of my team, its my first and possibly only season watching them from the stands and they've been terrific, gave it their best even when things went against them, what a great season this is, hope the last day brings us a pleasant surprise.