Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

Why was he even taken off? Tiote came on and the first thing that happened was the Villa midfielders coasting past Cheik and running into acres of space.

Thought it was the correct decision actually at that point. Tiote is stronger defensively than Anita and that's what we needed at that time just to see out the game. Thought Tiote did ok when he came on and that's a role I'd be happy for him to continue as rather than starting every game. 

Tiote also had infinitely more 'heart in the mouth' moments where he's spinning on the ball, being pressured by opposition and has to play a dangerous pass to relieve his own self imposed pressure in those 20 minutes.

It's clear to anyone who watches the match that Anitas calm and efficient nature affects us positively in the middle of the pitch.

Why was he even taken off? Tiote came on and the first thing that happened was the Villa midfielders coasting past Cheik and running into acres of space.

Thought it was the correct decision actually at that point. Tiote is stronger defensively than Anita and that's what we needed at that time just to see out the game. Thought Tiote did ok when he came on and that's a role I'd be happy for him to continue as rather than starting every game. 

Disagree completely that Tiote is better defensively, he's just more noticeable because he charges around like a bull. Anita reads the game well and is decent in a tackle as well.

We didn't really play through Anita yesterday hence his lack of touches also he pushed forward quite often which I prefer he didn't personally.

He does the simple things well and I think with Remy, Ben Arfa, Cabaye & Sissoko playing ahead of him keeping it simple is all we need.

If Pardew does start with Anita and finishes with Tiote it's a clear sign that he is going out to win games early on and then hold out the win. I would love this to continue!!

Don't want Tiote on from the start as watching Anita drop back for the pass from defense and then push the ball into decent position was nice to see. though he complimented both sissoko and cabaye in box to box roles very nicely.

Anita showing his true Dutch passing qualities...Nailed on starter for me.

Has to become an "automatic" starter.

Does everything Tiote does in the role, but better, and doesn't look like giving the ball away or conceding stupid free kicks.

Actually think his prescence could make Tiote a better player and a good back up.

Disagree completely that Tiote is better defensively, he's just more noticeable because he charges around like a bull. Anita reads the game well and is decent in a tackle as well.

Bit of a general comment but the term defensive/defensively is used really simplistically these days. For example, one player might be better in the tackle but a good defensive midfielder - above all else - is excellent in possession. It's obviously a massive cliche but the best form of defense is attack; you can't concede if you've got the ball. That's why Anita is, by a million miles, a better 'defensive midfielder' than Tiote is. Jonas is better as well, tbh.

I just don't know what Tiote brings to the team these days. When we signed him he was the 'defensive midfielder we've lacked for years', but that was because, aside from the novelty of having someone there with a bit of bluster, he retained possession extremely well. But nowadays he's absolutely useless in the final third and a massive risk when played deeper cos he loses the ball a lot.

Bit of a general comment but the term defensive/defensively is used really simplistically these days. For example, one player might be better in the tackle but a good defensive midfielder - above all else - is excellent in possession. It's obviously a massive cliche but the best form of defense is attack; you can't concede if you've got the ball. That's why Anita is, by a million miles, a better 'defensive midfielder' than Tiote is. Jonas is better as well, tbh.

I just don't know what Tiote brings to the team these days. When we signed him he was the 'defensive midfielder we've lacked for years', but that was because, aside from the novelty of having someone there with a bit of bluster, he retained possession extremely well. But nowadays he's absolutely useless in the final third and a massive risk when played deeper cos he loses the ball a lot.

Completely agree, tbh Tiote's best role for me what he was used at Twente before we signed him.

Sub and bring him on towards the end to kill what ever momentum the opposition has to make sure we get the win. ( i.e. what we did yesterday)

The fans over hyped him and he believed the hype. If he keeps things simple and knows and understands his limitations he will be an able back up.

Tiote tbf played well yesterday during the time he was on.

EDIT: ^ aye

I just felt he was dangerously close to losing the ball couple of times especially when he started dwelling on the ball like he always does at a moment there.

Completely agree, tbh Tiote's best role for me what he was used at Twente before we signed him.

Sub and bring him on towards the end to kill what ever momentum the opposition has to make sure we get the win. ( i.e. what we did yesterday)

:lol:

You watched a lot of him for Twente then I guess?

:lol:

You watched a lot of him for Twente then I guess

You didnt have to watch Twente to know the role Tiote was used in there. Its quite obvious from looking at stats and his attrbiutes.

The fans over hyped him and he believed the hype. If he keeps things simple and knows and understands his limitations he will be an able back up.

Maybe he was slightly overrated, but not a great deal. That was probably because he was so much better than the centre-midfielders preceding him: Butt, Smith, Geremi, Bowyer, Parker, etc. However, I believe he was very good in that first year. He was an unknown quantity to the rest of the Premier League and he kept the ball very well whilst providing steel that we'd lacked in previous years. However, his basic gameplay was very quickly sussed and he's failed to successfully adapt his game.

Though effective, his original style was limited and inevitably quelled, and he was never capable of being the playmaker Pardew's dabbled with. He's a spent force with us, I hope we sell him within the next 12 months.