Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

If you're going to have one of your three central midfielders in the Anita mould (keeps side ticking over, great energy/pressing, mobile, excellent short passing, distribution, not overly physical but a fair tackler, little to no attacking impetus) then at least one of the other ones has to have a very good range of long passing and an eye for the 'killer/key pass', even from deep. Tiote ticks the boxes with strength, tenacity, tackling and the ability to generally spoil if required, but doesn't fulfil that role absolutely in the slightest.

That role was filled by Cabaye, and now it's fucking Dan Gosling. Go figure.

Arsenal with Vieira and Petit.

:lol: :lol:

As if Viera and Petit had no scoring or creative duties, man.

They were most certainly primarily there as defensive midfielders. Sure they were both box to box midfielders but their primary function was to defend. Vieira and Petit scored a total of 4 goals in their double winning season. :) :)

Anita and Tiote is overkill on the defensive side actually, no reason he couldn't play alongside a deeplying playmaker and we'd not be overexposed imo. I also think Anita could develop more of a cutting edge and work better forward with some work.

I think the two with a proper AM worked very well. Throw in a real striker - some attacking wide men and we are laughing.

Without a genuinely creative player (e.g. not Colback) it's too lacking I agree. I don't want to see Tiote-Anita-Colback in the same side.

Anita and Tiote is overkill on the defensive side actually, no reason he couldn't play alongside a deeplying playmaker and we'd not be overexposed imo. I also think Anita could develop more of a cutting edge and work better forward with some work.

I think the two with a proper AM worked very well. Throw in a real striker - some attacking wide men and we are laughing.

Without a genuinely creative player (e.g. not Colback) it's too lacking I agree. I don't want to see Tiote-Anita-Colback in the same side.

This basically.

Guest bimpy474

All pointless unless we get rid of fuckface in the dugout. Actually attacking might help us like.

I agree with Hughesy. Both were excellent passers but neither genuinely creative or a consistent goal threat.

City moved to Fernandinho - Garcia double when Aguero went off. Fernandinho can be creative but in that system he's there to allow the two wide players and Yaya to create magic while keeping it tight.

Even 2002 Brazil had Gilberto Silva - Kleberson double pivot again - to allow the attacking 3 to do their thing.

I agree fully that most 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 formations tend to have two midfielders who don't have much responsibility to create or score. I'm happy with Tiote-Anita as long as there's genuinely an attacking midfielder in front of them and some wingers with some "threat".

In a 4-4-2, I'd like to have two box-to-box midfielders competent at threatening the opposition and offering cover in a defensive position. I don't think Anita is a 4-4-2 player. 4-3-3, 4-2-3-1, absolutely.

I really like Anita. He's assured, he wants the ball and he's got a good passing range. You'd only see him improve playing for a manager that understands the strengths of his players and chooses a system accordingly.

I agree with Hughesy. Both were excellent passers but neither genuinely creative or a consistent goal threat.

City moved to Fernandinho - Garcia double when Aguero went off. Fernandinho can be creative but in that system he's there to allow the two wide players and Yaya to create magic while keeping it tight.

Even 2002 Brazil had Gilberto Silva - Kleberson double pivot again - to allow the attacking 3 to do their thing.

I agree fully that most 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 formations tend to have two midfielders who don't have much responsibility to create or score. I'm happy with Tiote-Anita as long as there's genuinely an attacking midfielder in front of them and some wingers with some "threat".

:thup: Anita is mobile enough and moves the ball up the field fairly quickly to be part of that defensive two. I'd rather the other defensive midfielder was someone a bit smarter (and more aerially dominant) than Tiote, but he's not the first thing we need to fix in our lineup.

Agree, the 4231 formation with Cabaye as the "attacking midfielder" worked to perfection for us. You do need an outstanding centre forward for this to work well (see Remy). Keep Anita and Tiote together in deeper positions where they work in their optimum positions...

They were most certainly primarily there as defensive midfielders. Sure they were both box to box midfielders but their primary function was to defend. Vieira and Petit scored a total of 4 goals in their double winning season. :) :)

You've just made my case. Box-to-box midfielders who scored goals and helped make them. Anyone who thinks we can play genuinely attacking football with Tiote and Anita as the CM needs talking to.

• 1 month later...

http://www.nufc.co.uk/articles/20140620/anita-aims-to-be-a-goal-getter_2281670_3917320

"Last season I only scored once and that is something I am looking to improve on. When we come back for pre-season I will work hard on my finishing to score more goals next season.

"I want to score more goals and I want to get more than Moussa. He is always reminding me that he has scored more than me, so next year my goal is to beat him!"

Just checked his stats and there are mainly zeros under the "Goals" columns: -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vurnon_Anita

His best goal scoring season was 4 goals (3 in the Eredivisie and 1 in the National Cup). I've not got high hopes on Anita scoring goals. Against Liverpool in the last game of the season he blasted a very presentable chance miles over the bar while under no pressure.

Guest Rent-A-Quote

He also left foot volleyed a belter in the Europa League. Vurn's game isn't about goals. He's like Colback. Neat and tidy, might get a few goals a season but it's in a rout (remember them?) or a consolation. Both more likely than Tiote to score but we should only really play one of those three at a time, maybe two of those at a time IF we had the players to rotate in a 3 behind a decent mobile striker. Knowing pardiola he'll play Tiote, Anita AND Colback. Moveable goal feast it will not be!

He also left foot volleyed a belter in the Europa League. Vurn's game isn't about goals. He's like Colback. Neat and tidy, might get a few goals a season but it's in a rout (remember them?) or a consolation. Both more likely than Tiote to score but we should only really play one of those three at a time, maybe two of those at a time IF we had the players to rotate in a 3 behind a decent mobile striker. Knowing pardiola he'll play Tiote, Anita AND Colback. Moveable goal feast it will not be!

Yup Anita should play with 2 box to box midfielders in front of them.

So sissoko and new midfielder in a 443

Vurn will probably get replaced by Colback in midfield.

Quite rightly in my opinion as at present although Anita has the greater ability he simply isn't working out for us, and won't while the status quo remains.

Colback isn't as good but will be a better fit.

Quite rightly in my opinion as at present although Anita has the greater ability he simply isn't working out for us, and won't while the status quo remains.

How is Anita not working out for us? I always thinks he looks good in every position he's played

Guest bimpy474

If Anita isn't working (which i think isn't exactly true), it's because of the thick as fuck bogiebrained idiot who has us playing dumb fuck football.

How is Anita not working out for us? I always thinks he looks good in every position he's played

Aye he is good at what he does on the ball but it isn't really getting us the results when he plays.

He also lacks that competitiveness, and determination that a central midfielder needs to win the Battles you get in this division.

Anita is a tidy player with a good passing range and good technique but the opposition aren't just going to bow down to that.

Football matches are more often than not won because of the battles on the pitch.

Say Newcastle vs Liverpool for example, Gerrard and Henderson vs Anita and Tiote is a crucial part of the game as both sets of players try to win the ball, keep the ball, and set a high tempo.

Anita can pass the ball around well but doesn't cope with the pressure, the tempo and competitiveness of his opposite number.

What it will take for him to have a successful career is to leave basically. I have no confidence that he can further develop in this country.