Vurnon Anita (now playing for RKC Waalwijk)

ponsaelius

The only thing Anita seriously lacks is physicality in individual duals, so we need to make sure the other midfielders make up for that, and the system in general. Personally I would build a midfield around him, he's a quality little player.

easily forgotten how influential anitas pass and move game was on us early last season, he was instrumental in us trying to play the ball around a lot...cabaye become more influential as the 1st half of the season wore on but anita kicked it off imho, he was fucking excellent

Anita would be a very good player in a passing team, but in a Pardew one he's wasted. We've now got 3 defensive midfielders who all basically play the same role, what we desperately need is one who gets into the opposition penalty area and scores goals.

• 3 weeks later...

Surely most improved player last season for us. One of the only bright spots last year and one of the only faces I will be happy to see again this season.

However, Can't see pardew putting him anywhere but on the bench though this year :(

• 1 month later...

Before his injury, I thought he had a great game. Made the difference in front of our defenders and you could see the effect it had once he went off. Hope he's not too injured.

Same as last season then. Good, hopefully he can force fucknuts not to leave him out.

• 1 month later...

I like Vurn but he's a bit of a nothing player isn't he? His thread is even on the 3rd page.

He would definitely be in my team but he's part of the problem/or should I say, not the answer. For central midfield slots our senior CM's that are fit include Siss, Anita, Colback & Tiote. No creativity whatsoever. Zero composure in the final third for passes and what... 6 league goals between them last season?

Cabella has to start at AM for me.

Guest firetotheworks

I like little Vurn a lot, it's easy to like players like him. He's quite clearly a good footballer, you can see that.

Very much an anti-Pardew player. Anita's all about the system, he's not going to do very much valuable in a side that only ever works when a few individuals are flying.

Not sure about Anita without Pardew in any case long term. Although he has an engine I can see him being physically insignificant if he where tasked to sit in-front of the defence - similar to Arteta in the second aspect. And in this B2B role he seems to play in when he does start, he doesn't know what to do with the ball when anywhere near the goal.

At any team with a decent game plan he would be buzzing around, getting it and giving it, looking brilliant. The fact it's even debatable whether he should be playing for us is mad IMO.

Just like Mapou and HBA he's exactly the kind of player we should be building the team around and exactly the kind of player we don't have a clue how to use.

We all know if Pardew's still here in August, he'll be on the bench while we watch Tiote & Colback together, Sissoko shoehorned on the right still and a new left sided player if we're lucky. (Or Gouffran)

:(

This was my first new post of the thread. So fucking predictable :anguish:

I like Anita but he's wasted in our system. I think he is very composed on the ball (usually), moves it around really well and is quite clearly our most technically gifted central midfielder. But when your gameplan is mostly to have defenders launching long balls forward, bypassing the midfield completely then what's the use of a player like Vurn? He's never gonna pop up with goals and assists given the role and how deep he plays and because of his physical limitations he's not gonna offer as much defensively as the other players who start ahead of him.

In a different system with a different style of football he'd be a key player for us.

• 4 weeks later...

What does he do? He doesn't score or create goals. He isn't great at tackling and he is too short and lightweight to be a good holding midfielder. Those who rate him say he's good at picking out a pass. I can't remember the last time he did. I just don't think he's cut out for the Premiership.

His best football for us was in a midfield 3 with Cabaye and Tiote. Cabaye could play the killer attacking ball, Tiote the physical enforcer and Anita just distributes the ball and keeps possession ticking over. We won a lot of games in the first half of last season like this. However, as part of a midfield 2 as you said he looks absolute garbage.