Newcastle Utd 1 - 2 Swansea - 11/17/12 -post-match reaction from page 29

Beren

There was absolutely no reason to bring on Shola. None in the slightest.

I disagree. Sammy was s***. Unfortunately it was Ferguson that went off. Shola coming on was the product of a stupid starting 11.

Sammy had a nightmare, he should have made way not Ferguson but not for Shola FFS!

If we didn't have 2 left midfielders on from the start we probably wouldn't have had to. However we showed little threat and whenever that happens, Pards punts it to Shola. We had Abeid, Amalfitano, Bigi and Marveaux on the bench. One of them should have started.

4-2-4 for the whole second half and we still rarely threatened the goal.

Formation has very little to do with that performance.

The passing was utterly atrocious throughout. Ba, Krul, Ben Arfa, the Ameobis, Bigirmana when he came on, and of course Williamson.

Ben Arfa's dribbiling is fantastic, but he too often lets himself down with a sloppy pass and I think only one of his shots was on target. That is not that unusual either.

Doesn't matter which team we are playing, they know to stand off Williamson and just let him have it - the ball will soon be chipped straight to their centre half. As a result he touches the ball far more than any other player in the side. Barcelona have Xavi on the ball more than anyone, we have Williamson.

The sad fact is, that while some bemoan our direct style, our real undoing comes when our overrated players start trying to pass the ball to each other. Theres quite a few things wrong with this side atm, but more than anything they are missing a real target man to help them play the direct style that naturally suits them. Pardew was right to try and sign Carroll in the summer.

A direct style naturally favours Cabaye, Cisse, Santon, Jonas, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Anita, Coloccini, Ba? The only one who suits a direct style is the manager.

Guest malandro

Ba's strengths are probably better suited to a direct game, whereas Cisse is probably more effective in a more cultured set up. It's not surprising they don't gel.

The passing was utterly atrocious throughout. Ba, Krul, Ben Arfa, the Ameobis, Bigirmana when he came on, and of course Williamson.

Ben Arfa's dribbiling is fantastic, but he too often lets himself down with a sloppy pass and I think only one of his shots was on target. That is not that unusual either.

Doesn't matter which team we are playing, they know to stand off Williamson and just let him have it - the ball will soon be chipped straight to their centre half. As a result he touches the ball far more than any other player in the side. Barcelona have Xavi on the ball more than anyone, we have Williamson.

The sad fact is, that while some bemoan our direct style, our real undoing comes when our overrated players start trying to pass the ball to each other. Theres quite a few things wrong with this side atm, but more than anything they are missing a real target man to help them play the direct style that naturally suits them. Pardew was right to try and sign Carroll in the summer.

A direct style naturally favours Cabaye, Cisse, Santon, Jonas, Tiote, Ben Arfa, Anita, Coloccini, Ba? The only one who suits a direct style is the manager.

Of the 9 players you named 3 were not playing today.

And I would Jonas, Tiote and Ba certainly suit a direct style of football. All 3 played when we overpowered Man United 11 months ago. I remember Santon was excellent in that match as well.

Once again, I refer you to the side Keegan inherited from Allardyce. It took nearly two months for KK to get the side passing again after being coached out of it by Fat Sam. Whatever Kevin's faults he had balls big enough to accept the responsibility to encourage frightened players to start passing again, and it didn't come easy in the first weeks.

Once again, I refer you to the side Keegan inherited from Allardyce. It took nearly two months for KK to get the side passing again after being coached out of it by Fat Sam. Whatever Kevin's faults he had balls big enough to accept the responsibility to encourage frightened players to start passing again, and it didn't come easy in the first weeks.

He also got a front three of Owen, Viduka and Martins playing well, imagine what he'd do with Ben Arfa, Cisse and Ba.

Woeful match followed up with some even worse post-match quotes. We were once again done in the middle of the park and for long stretches of the first half appeared to be playing 4-1-3-2? Why on earth Anita is playing pretty much as an attacking mid is beyond me and having Sammy as a striker :lol: I bet the rationale for that was because he's simply tall.

It's becoming comically bad and Pardew seems remarkably defiant, borderline rebellious in his persistence with a simply failing system. We don't have the players, yet they're just shoehorned into something. He's trying to simply just do what we did for large periods last year but we just don't have the same balance and to some extent, luck. This time we have better players and he seemingly does not know how to get them working together and seems petrified of going away from his beliefs. He just doesn't appear to be the right manager for our strategy as he can't adapt to the players, they have to adapt to him which is a recipe for disaster.

"They tried their very best against a good side in Swansea, who had a lot more experience on the pitch and that showed"

This pissed me off a little too. Did they not have a 17 year old at left back or something? Sammy and Fergie were the only young players in the team.

Guest neesy111

If Stone Cold Steve Stone is our attacking coach he can go with Woodman.

Sorry if I've missed something but what's the problem with Woodman?

Krul's kicking. It's worse now than it ever has been and it's infuriating.

Yeah, it's always been very poor and I said last season it should be worked on in the summer.

I got into a massive argument In Bruges about this and got vilified.

didn't think we were actually doing too bad till they scored, then we shit ourselves. theres a nervousness about us now that desperatly needs a win.

it put to bed as few ideas though, santon on the right, ferguson should be given a run of games (he's had enough and needs time out before his confidence, which is draining by the minute, disappears irretrievably), sammi is ready and get it in the middle regardless.

didn't think we were actually doing too bad till they scored, then we s*** ourselves. theres a nervousness about us now that desperatly needs a win.

it put to bed as few ideas though, santon on the right, ferguson should be given a run of games (he's had enough and needs time out before his confidence, which is draining by the minute, disappears irretrievably), sammi is ready and get it in the middle regardless.

For all we weren't doing too badly, it was mainly down to Krul at one end and Ben Arfa at the other.

Utterly horrific once again. Pardews insistence on playing 442 because he doesn't have the bottle to tell Ba to play on the left of a three or f*** off is infuriating.

He didn't have to move Ba today which is even more of a puzzle.

Ba really should have scored that header.

Yeah it was a shame he didn't, but you can't expect him to score every match. Our centre backs should be heading in corners or free kicks and our midfielders have enough quality to be score if properly coached to get in and around the box and take a punt. We always seem to end up passing it to Santon/Simpson for a cross or shot or which they are both fairly shite at.