Massadio Haïdara

Optimistic Nut

Bid accepted according to Twitter journo Francois Piraux:

@F8Piraux: Newcastle and Nancy agree 2.5€M fee for 20-year-old French left-back Massadio Haïdara. No agreement for personal terms for now. #NUFC

Now of course I expect this news on here will come down with a lot of cynicism and people will moan about him not being a centre half or forward that will come straight into the first team. Yet to me we are still in need of some squad depth as if Santon gets injured we haven't got anybody that is ready to step in. I'm not including Ferguson in this as he has clearly show he is not ready to be a first team regular and needs to go out on loan . Plus prior to Norwich Santon was having arguably his worst spell in a Newcastle shirt so the competition for his place is another benefit of this signing.

Likewise if Debuchy gets injured or suspended it means we can use Santon at right-back.

So a left back is one of the 2 signings we are going to make this window. Wonder what we are going to miss out on, striker or a centre back?

wont sign a CB - steven taylor coming back, and they will hope to convince colo to stay for the rest of the season.

Now of course I expect this news on here will come down with a lot of cynicism and people will moan about him not being a centre half or forward that will come straight into the first team. Yet to me we are still in need of some squad depth as if Santon gets injured we haven't got anybody that is ready to step in. I'm not including Ferguson in this as he has clearly show he is not ready to be a first team regular and needs to go out on loan . Plus prior to Norwich Santon was having arguably his worst spell in a Newcastle shirt so the competition for his place is another benefit of this signing.

Likewise if Debuchy gets injured or suspended it means we can use Santon at right-back.

It's definitely good news. :thup:

Bid accepted, but the player says:  "I'd rather Roma than Newcastle, I like Italian football more,” he said. “I would like to play in Italy, but Newcastle are a good team too. My agent has spoken to both clubs, I'll see what happens, but I would like to play in Italy."

More at:  http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1303388?cc=5739

Think this quote is an old'ish one.

I doubt this means anything about other signings we will or won't make. Pardew's quotes about numbers of signings mean absolutely nothing, and I think everyone knows this deep down. If they can get the right deals for players they will buy them, if they can't they won't.

We might sign a striker and a CB, or we might sign neither. But either way it won't be to do with this deal.

It's definitely good news. :thup:

good news i agree. If it happens we will have our LB and RB positions covered as santon can move to RB if needed. excellent, he sounds like a promising player with great potential as well. Simpson can leave and we will still have anita, perch and taylor to cover in emergency.

Bid accepted, but the player says:  "I'd rather Roma than Newcastle, I like Italian football more,” he said. “I would like to play in Italy, but Newcastle are a good team too. My agent has spoken to both clubs, I'll see what happens, but I would like to play in Italy."

More at:  http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/1303388?cc=5739

Think this quote is an old'ish one.

It is an old one... But it still speaks volumes...

There's quotes of him saying this aswell.

Haidara told RMC: "Newcastle do appeal to me, but everyone has to agree.

"I would be very happy to play there. My preference is England. It is the league which attracts me the most and would suit my game the best.

Hope we get this over. LB was always one of the priority areas after CB and FW. It will also be the first time in years we have cover at LB.

Will be more than happy to have Santon, Debuchy and this guy cover the FB positons. :thup:

@davidmcrossan

#Lequipe has #Nancy accepting the 2.5 million euro #nufc offer for Haidara but says LB hasn't agreed terms with club

Nee quotes on the story mind so hopefully I'm not premature in changing thread title.