Who would you go for?

BONTEMPI

To be fair if you want a backup centre back who will hit the ground running as he has experience you could do worse than Tompkins, it's just not worth spending any money on really. Mapou was the hope for the future, maybe he wouldn't have made it but I don't know what our long term plan for our defense is. We need it refreshing and that will mean bringing in quality and giving them a season to adapt (presuming not premier league player already)

I suspect Ashley thinks that the manger is basically irrelevant in his model for NUFC.

Any old average-to-shit manager could avoid relegation with Newcastle most years, just off the quality of players we usually attract. (Just ask Alan Pardew) It would take a greater manager to get the players we have to over-preform and get us higher up the table, but that's not what the ownership wants. If so, why pay anyone respectable when you can have someone desperate willing to take orders and work on a cheap contract?

Imagine for a moment that we got someone like Rafa Benitez in. Where would he take the current squad? Probably up to about 5th~7th at best. Where does that leave Ashley? With more expectation from the fans to spend more money and push on to 4th, and saddled with Europa League football that he most certainly does not want. I suspect Ashley has learned his lesson from the season we fluked 5th. A taste of success can be dangerous for brewing discontent when it isn't expanded upon in following years.

If that's the case, why not have John Carver instead? He's cheaper and will never kick up a fuss about transfer funds or control. He will have us in the 10th~15th range most years while feeding the fans shit about how it's impossible to compete at a higher level. The TV money keeps flowing in and we run at a profit without the need for significant reinvestment. If things start going tits up, Ashley can always grudgingly authorize 10~20m of spending to bail us out in January.

Guess who wins again.

The birth of our lord Jesus Christ, King of Kings, is indeed irrelevant to Ashley's business model for the club.

It will be confusing (to fans) but the only thing I will say is that the position is not now as a manager - it’s now a head coach’s job. So the head coach’s job is to get the team ready and prepared for the next game and that’s all I’ve been thinking about.

There’s no need for me to be in touch with the owner because that’s the line the club is going down now – head coach. When I was with Toronto in the MLS, I was head coach so I never got involved in any transfer dealings. My sole responsibility was to look after the team and get them prepared and ready for the game and I’m assuming that’s what most head coaches do.

Virtually rules out all of the proposed British names, does it not? As a nation we still struggle with the concept of a manager having no say whatsoever on the players he has to work with.

McClaren is head coach at Derby. Not sure how much say he has in transfers though.

Definitely an interesting link. Big gamble but has great pedigree to get him set up for a top job.

Can see this type of appointment being legit. Ashley won't want anyone established that he a) has to pay more or b) might have any sway with the media or using their experience to speak up in the boardroom.

For some reason on the BBC Radio 4 news this afternoon, while I was driving back from Leicester, they said we were going to make an appointment within 48 hours but not heard this anywhere else?

For some reason on the BBC Radio 4 news this afternoon, while I was driving back from Leicester, they said we were going to make an appointment within 48 hours but not heard this anywhere else?

What I've seen about 48 hours is that we'll have drawn up a list of possible candidates by then.

What I've seen about 48 hours is that we'll have drawn up a list of possible candidates by then.

Thanks, makes a bit more sense.