Sir Alex Ferguson

Smal
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Phil Brown: "it was almost like when you heard Elvis had died"

I can't stand much more of this shit. I just put SSN on and Jim White was standing outside Old Trafford shouting.

It's about time Everton gave Howard Kendall another bash isn't it?

I just saw Neil Lennon is the favourite with the bookies.

I honestly think Howard Kendall would be a better bet.

Another side to this whole thing is the players being a bit deflated to start off with, with Fergie gone.

Moyes isn't as loved by his players as a Fergie or Mourinho typically are.

They will have some success, but won't be close to what Fergie achieved.

Surprised they didn't move for Klopp, a decent manager with European pedigree- and knowledge of how to win a cup. Certainly won't complain about it though.

Strange they moved for Moyes so quickly, no one can say he's a bad manager but fact is all he's done is kept Everton normally upper midtable with occasional forrays into Europe or early on flirting with relegation. The consistency in finishes is not bad but Everton never had a consistently good full season usually starting awfully only to engineer a siege mentality and get some momentum post jan transfer window. If that happens at Man Utd next season the players won't get behind him like the Everton ones did but be wondering who this joker thinks he is and he'll be sacked.

Yep.

I've read a few times in the last 24 hours about how "he has had Everton consistently punching above their financial weight", a statement which I find rather odd to say the least. I'd say he has had them consistently exactly where they should be. That's not to say he has done a shit job or an "average" job, he's done a very good job because it's not at all easy to maintain equilibrium in the Premier League - I've said many times that Newcastle should be aiming for an absolute bare minimum of around about 7th, which is what Moyes has developed at Everton.

But developing a big club like Everton to consistently finish above us, Fulham, Stoke, sunderland, West Brom, Villa and the other stalwarts of the Premier League is a far cry from winning stuff, competing with giants of the game (financially and otherwise) and carrying on such an incredible legacy. It's also not punching above their financial weight - ok, so somebody will be able to show that they generally spend less than Stoke and the mackems, for example, but the sums aren't significant enough to make that claim, I would want more qualifications than that before I employed someone as manager of Manchester United.

One thing he'll have to vastly improve (and Neil touched on this) is what he does when the chips are down, in big games. Far too often while he's been there, Everton have looked very close to something, either the FA Cup or qualifying for the CL, and always fallen short, either because their form has dropped off alarmingly or because they've simply bottled it on the day by not playing their natural game. His early reputation was as quite a negative manager and while he has generally got over this in your bog standard league games, it still comes to the fore in big games when he tries to be too cautious. That won't wash at Man Utd.

It's more of a damning indictment of the managers currently working in Britain that Moyes is so highly rated (as "one of the best managers in the country" rather than "a good top flight manager, 8/10") than it is a reflection of his ability imo.

Just realised Moyes first game could potentially be against Man City in the community shield. Talk about a baptism of fire. :lol:

Not really. He always seems to have Mancini's number and will most likely get one over on him again.

Another side to this whole thing is the players being a bit deflated to start off with, with Fergie gone.

Moyes isn't as loved by his players as a Fergie or Mourinho typically are.

Zaha: signed by Sir Alex Ferguson  :yao:

Plays under David Moyes  :scared:

SAF is loved by players because of his gravitas. For Moyes that'll come with time.

He has defended his players through some murky times. I'm thinking Rio and Cantona specifically here. Imagine someone like Souness being faced with the same situations.:D

I think neither he nor they are expecting him to make his own mark straight away. It will be about maintaining what Sir Alex has implemented and try to bring that into the future. With Sir Alex in a director role above Moyes, I'm quite sure Moyes is very content with the fact that he's there to learn initially.

I think it will pan out well for them.

How much confidence do Evertonians (Neil?) put in Kenwright's ability to get the replacement right?