Sunderland

Nobody

Our fans would take the p*ss, yes. But not make banners about a club we have no real connection to/rivalry with imo.

I think there's a couple of tits that would, and all it takes is a couple of tits.

I can't think of anything more 'small time' tbh, but aye we do have some mong-ish fans like.

Guest firetotheworks

Remember being at Birmingham when they went down. Was a couple of chants but we generally couldn't care less.

Hope Villa Park is absolutely awash with bedsheets at the end of the season.

Newcastle are/were a big club, Birmingham aren't, that's the point though. That's away as well, they were at home. Are you saying that our fans wouldn't gloat if Chelsea went down this season and we had them last game of the season? Or if a team like Spurs, Everton or Villa went down? I think it's totally naive to think that our home fans wouldn't like. Our fans are spiteful by default to the extent that they boo most ex-players purely because they're ex-players.

Remember being at Birmingham when they went down. Was a couple of chants but we generally couldn't care less.

Newcastle are/were a big club, Birmingham aren't, that's the point though. That's away as well, they were at home. Are you saying that our fans wouldn't gloat if Chelsea went down this season and we had them last game of the season? Or if a team like Spurs, Everton or Villa went down? I think it's totally naive to think that our home fans wouldn't like. Our fans are spiteful by default to the extent that they boo most ex-players purely because they're ex-players.

This is it, the status of the club plays a part. Sure Cardiff got relegated at SJP a couple of years ago and most around weren't even aware, let alone took the piss.

Guest firetotheworks

I think Brummie got it spot on when he said that the time to worry for us is when stuff like that happens and no one bats an eyelid. It's already got to that stage with home losses. A while ago, newly promoted teams beating us was a big deal to them, but it's not what it was because we're not the team or club that we were.

Meh, you're probably right. Football is a sport of hypocrisy though and the revenge will be beuatifully sweet.

Guest firetotheworks

Meh, you're probably right. Football is a sport of hypocrisy though and the revenge will be beuatifully sweet.

Absolutely. A 'fuck it, I'm spiteful' was all I was looking for like. :lol:

we might gloat if a big club went down but going to the effort of taking bed sheets im not so sure. They were numerous that day too. Way OTT. Let's make sure we stay clear of the drop 1st but a bottom 3 including villa and the mackems would be fantastic.

Would our fans of bothered making numerous spiteful banners about Villa if the roles had been reversed?  Nah I don't believe that would have happened at all.  You'd have heard some chants about relegation definitely, but the effort Villa fans put in was on another level.  The way they went on made it seem like we were big rivals with a long history of hatred between us, its the kind of thing I'd have expected from the Mackems.

Of course we would absolutely return the gesture if we get the chance now because they deserve it after the way they went on.

Guest firetotheworks

Would our fans of bothered making numerous spiteful banners about Villa if the roles had been reversed?  Nah I don't believe that would have happened for a second.  You'd have heard some chants about relegation of course, but the effort Villa fans put in was on another level.  The way they went on made it seem like we were big rivals with a long history of hatred between us, its the kind of thing I'd have expected from the Mackems.

You're saying this like there was banner after banner. IIrc there were 2, possibly 3?

Three banners about a team you have almost no real rivalry with baffled me at the time though, I'd have been surprised to see us bother with one for them fucking no marks.

Surely we've had a home game last game of the season against a relegated side before?  How many banners were there?

Guest firetotheworks

Three banners about a team you have almost no real rivalry with baffled me at the time though, I'd have been surprised to see us bother with one for them fucking no marks.

Surely we've had a home game last game of the season against a relegated side before?  How many banners were there?

Against a team as big as we were? The only other team to have gone down that were as big as us was Leeds.

Anyway, here are three possible people within our fanbase who can be relied upon to do things as cringeworthy in that situation.

http://operarat.typepad.com/.a/6a011168635db0970c017d3c1578fd970c-320wi

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/gc/166318901-newcastle-united-fan-poses-for-a-photograph-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=GkZZ8bf5zL1ZiijUmxa7QQA%2Fs9r1K9uyOjGuCfMWfTL7MDHeN0wlfc0hC9pGjMGj6ixeIiAa2aD%2FThJttxhz%2Bg%3D%3D

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article1833415.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Tyne-Wear-football-violence-in-Newcastle-City-centre.png

Don't mind people wanting to piss the Villa fans off if they get relegated, it's what football fandom's all about, but we're not better than them because a few bellends in their fanbase made some banners. We know just as much as most that a few bellends aren't representative of the whole.

But if you were there, you would have seen that it wasn't just the three fans with the banners, it was the whole ground going absolutely fucking mental, celebrating like I've never seen on my 7 or 8 trips to Villa park.  Only in the ground like, they were very magnanimous outside, think they were fucking terrified :lol:

Anyway, yes, I'm openly spiteful about it.  If it looks like they're going down and we're staying up, I'll book time off work to go down just to gloat.

Guest firetotheworks

Same thing would happen if the roles had have been reversed and it was Leeds going down (for example) imo. All hypothetical like, I just think people think far too highly of our home fans, they'd be all over it.

But if you were there, you would have seen that it wasn't just the three fans with the banners, it was the whole ground going absolutely f***ing mental, celebrating like I've never seen on my 7 or 8 trips to Villa park.  Only in the ground like, they were very magnanimous outside, think they were f***ing terrified :lol:

Anyway, yes, I'm openly spiteful about it.  If it looks like they're going down and we're staying up, I'll book time off work to go down just to gloat.

Villa and the mackems going down would be like a Premier League enema.  We're possibly the other turd that won't flush but we're at least looking a little more competitive these days.

A massive Palace collapse seeing them, Villa and Sunderland down would be mint though.  Couldn't think of a better end to the season than Pardew, Allardyce, Sunderland and Villa getting relegated.  Maybe if they opened up a surprise 4th relegation place and Liverpool took it :D

I was in the Holte End that day, I had my mate's ST. They were over the top. Banners, some of the chanting. I'm not one to advocate violence but I did stifle a snigger outside the ground when a few visiting Birmingham City charvers ran amok , definitely saw one Villa fan hit the deck.

I can kind of see KI's point here.  But you're dealing in hypotheticals and trying to suggest we'd celebrate like we won a cup, if we relegated a club like Everton?  Even with their strange social media hatred for us, I just don't think that would be the case.  There would be some piss taking, some cheering, some bother outside the ground, sure.  But I really don't think you'd see hundreds of grown men hugging each other and jumping up and down like they had won something themselves.  They were going on like the win had saved them from relegation FFS.  I really don't think you'd see SJP rocking with pretty much every fan going berserk. 

It's a strange one.  As I know a few Villa fans and I used to have a bit of an affinity for them, as I have family who live in Erdington and it was my first away trip when I was a kid.  I've been 4-5 times, it's a great ground and there used to be a good atmosphere.  Can't say I have ever seen them celebrate so wildly, though.  I've been to a 4-1 loss and a 1-0 loss there and all and that day we went down was just insane.  They were giving us a load of stick beforehand.  But TBH, I was shocked and surprised at how they went on at the end. 

In fairness, I had a few older fans come up to me after the game and shake my hand and offer a few kind words.  I had a long walk back to the car and I was caught between wanting to cry like a school girl and fight everyone in sight.  There were a lot of young charva fans trying to goad our lot into kicking off.  Just to top it all off.  I went out on the beers in Sutton that night.  It was grim, other than after a funeral.  I'm not sure I've ever had a more depressing drinking session :'(

It might be a bit petty, spiteful and small time.  But if they are down or close to going down.  I'll probably get a ticket for that game near the end of the season and bask in their misery.  Knowing us, we'll probably get hammered 3-0, or we'll probably be in the bottom three with them :lol:

That's the thing with that though. People cringe about our lot holding up 'boycuott the club' signs or punching horses then can't apply that reasoning to other clubs and think that maybe a lot of their fans are cringing at that s*** within their own fanbase as well. It always dumbfounds me when our fans go on about how we're misrepresented as diluded and so on, then without coming up for air perpetuate the same stuff about other sets of fans as if it's gospel.

Aye.

Our fans brought a 'Pardew back from the dead' banner into the ground ffs, that's the kind of sycophantic shit we're capable of.

I thought someone who knew them said they were neutrals taking in a game while they were in the city and they just did it for the lulz?

Our fans brought a 'Pardew back from the dead' banner into the ground ffs, that's the kind of sycophantic s*** we're capable of.

I know one of the lads who pulled that stunt and he supports Chelsea :lol:

Media get all over it and it just makes a mockery of Newcastle fans in general. Easy for a small minority to have a big impact on what other fans make of a particular fanbase. In regards to us going down and Villas reaction though, that was way over the top and not just a small minority.