NUFC transfer rumours in the press

Rich
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Long is not fit to lace Bellamy's boots tbh but he'd offer some of the things he did. Gouffran does too, but Long could do a job up top on his own and has a better leap on him.

Not a huge fan but if he was on a free or cheap in January could do worse.

I like Long, though I think January will only be about knockdown bids for near-Bosman players (Gomis, Ince etc). January is the new summer!!!

Isn't Long out of contract summer 2014?

Thought I read WBA had the option for a fourth. Regardless, I'm surprised he only got a 3 year contract.

Gouffran's record is even worse. He's been one of our best players this season.

Gouffran played as a winger pretty much his entire career apart from one season.... the comparison doesn't make sense on any level.

Bellamy had 28 in 93 and he was one of the best players we've had in the PL era.

Bellamy was 21 when we signed him, Long is 26.... plus Bellamy offers much more than just goals or making runs in behind so again the comparison again doesn't make sense on any level.

Plus we already have our new Bellamy in Remy.

Gouffran's record is even worse. He's been one of our best players this season.

Gouffran played as a winger pretty much his entire career apart from one season.... the comparison doesn't make sense on any level.

He's played across the entire front line for us and has looked erratic at best in front of goal. Incidentally he's also had more shots at goal per game than Long, which like Long's goal record also mean fuck all considering we know neither are great goalscorers.

I doubt he'd be anyone's first choice but considering our transfer policy he'd probably be a good buy for us.

Long is not a great footballer but is really fast and will run all day. He is not a poacher in the slightest bit, more of a target man with a big leap. Not very skilful either, his athleticism is his main asset. Better than Shola by a mile to be fair. Would love to see him play for us as he is from my local area originally

We need a squad and we have a tight as f*** owner.

A selection of Gouffran, Remy, Cisse, Ben Arfa, Long and someone really good to play through the centre doesn't look bad at all.

None of them are the CF who can hold the ball up type we need though.... when you build a squad it would be a good idea to get a selection of different types to compliment each other and not just a random selection of forwards because it causes imbalance in the squad.

Getting a big guy whose not a total hack with the ball at his feet would be the best considering the needs of the squad.

Also the reason i was so fixated on goals in my earlier post is because we are desperate for a big man who can score goals that we can rely upon..... if we already had that guy then getting Long as a squad option would be fine and dandy.

Talking about getting squad options is nice and all.... but we don't even have a first eleven yet might be a good idea to sort that out first.

A selection of Gouffran, Remy, Cisse, Ben Arfa, Long and someone really good to play through the centre doesn't look bad at all.

None of them are the CF who can hold the ball up type we need though.... when you build a squad it would be a good idea to get a selection of different types to compliment each other and not just a random selection of forwards because it causes imbalance in the squad.

Getting a big guy whose not a total hack with the ball at his feet would be the best considering the needs of the squad.

Also the reason i was so fixated on goals in my earlier post is because we are desperate for a big man who can score goals that we can rely upon..... if we already had that guy then getting Long as a squad option would be fine and dandy.

Talking about getting squad options is nice and all.... but we don't even have a first eleven yet might be a good idea to sort that out first.

Sorry but that really doesn't make any difference to what I said. If Long is out of contract in the summer he would cost a pittance. We SHOULD be able to afford him and someone better.

If it was a choice between a real quality centre forward or Long then the choice is easy but we need both (doesn't have to be long but we need 2 forwards).

Sorry but that really doesn't make any difference to what I said. If Long is out of contract in the summer he would cost a pittance. We SHOULD be able to afford him and someone better.

If it was a choice between a real quality centre forward or Long then the choice is easy but we need both (doesn't have to be long but we need 2 forwards).

Think about the wages man, your going to turn us into Leeds mk2.  ;)

In all seriousness that is fair enough.

Never been that impressed with him for Ireland, but then Trapattoni never exactly set up teams that played to his attackers' strengths.

Think we'd benefit far more from a Gomis type who is effective holding the ball up.

The Irleand striker has nine months left on his deal, plus a one-year option in the club's favour, but negotiations over an extension have stalled.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/oct/22/west-bromwich-albion-shane-long-contract

Not getting always for cheap. He was going to Hull for ~£6m last summer until talks collapsed very late into the window.

did talks collapse ? I thought it didn't go through because their deal for another year of lukaku went goodison-way and they didn't want to be left short.