The Managerial Merry Go Round™

cp40

There's absolutely no way Emery could have done what Howe has with our squad. Emery seems to be very "I'm the boss and you do what I say" whereas Howe is more of a team mate while still holding authority. 

Definitely dodged a bullet and his past experience in the League with Arsenal wasn't great at all. 

No way he would have done what Howe has done here. I didn’t even think Howe would do this amazingly well. 

However, let’s not kid ourselves, on paper Emery is a cracking appointment. I wanted him more than Howe (back then). Super fecking happy how things have turned out ?

Emery was probably my first "realistic" choice last year, as he's a  top quality Champions League level manager, that plays pragmatic yet effective football, whose results have spoke for themselves, which it what I thought we needed at the time. Obviously was delighted with Howe and fucking love the man now, but was disappointed when Emery turned us down. 

I'm curious what @brummiethoughts are on this appointment, as it sounds like Gerrard just played anti-football which was depressing on the eyes, which was one of the many reasons he got the sack, and the complaints where that Villa have all these attacking players playing a system that focused more on defense (that may be wrong, just what I observed from the outside), however Emery also plays more conservatively and is not a particularly attacking coach that gets teams playing exciting football, so I wonder if them same concerns will be applicable, he's obviously an elite manager, who would actually know what he's doing, whereas Gerrard knew the square sum of fuck all, which will probably make it much easier to swallow, atleast until they go on a bad run.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I was canny sick when Emery was the frontrunner like, I wanted  that overtly offensive (Argentinian?) fella who's name I've completely forgot, and who probably would have been terrible.

#WeRememberFonseca

11 minutes ago, 54 said:

Emery was probably my first "realistic" choice last year, as he's a  top quality Champions League level manager, that plays pragmatic yet effective football, whose results have spoke for themselves, which it what I thought we needed at the time. Obviously was delighted with Howe and fucking love the man now, but was disappointed when Emery turned us down. 

I'm curious what @brummiethoughts are on this appointment, as it sounds like Gerrard just played anti-football which was depressing on the eyes, which was one of the many reasons he got the sack, and the complaints where that Villa have all these attacking players playing a system that focused more on defense (that may be wrong, just what I observed from the outside), however Emery also plays more conservatively and is not a particularly attacking coach that gets teams playing exciting football, so I wonder if them same concerns will be applicable, he's obviously an elite manager, who would actually know what he's doing, whereas Gerrard knew the square sum of fuck all, which will probably make it much easier to swallow, atleast until they go on a bad run.

Didn't Gerrard want to play attacking  football with his wingbacks pushed right up? He was just shite and had to resort to whatever Villa are now?

Just now, Hanshithispantz said:

Didn't Gerrard want to play attacking  football with his wingbacks pushed right up? He was just shite and had to resort to whatever Villa are now?

If that was his plan, he's even shitter then I thought he was, as that was not what was happening on the pitch :lol: 

(Admittedly i've only watched Villa 2/3 times this season, so I could be wrong)

Just now, FinnMag said:

Didnt Emery refuse us because we were in relegation zone? He wants titles and European cups, so if he chooses Villa, its surprising to be honest.

He was also playing Champions League football with Villarreal at the time, was unhappy with the leak. Not doing too great this year there, is he?

46 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I was canny sick when Emery was the frontrunner like, I wanted  that overtly offensive (Argentinian?) fella who's name I've completely forgot, and who probably would have been terrible.

:lol: 

Sounds like a good appointment for Villa. As big an upgrade to them as what he would've been to us, had he taken the job when we approached him. The door is very much open to rival us as the best 'non ESL team' and I can see them taking that opportunity now.