Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-europa-league-pardew-says-2956127

With Newcastle firmly back in the mix for a top seven finish, Pardew has clarified the team's ambitions. He said: "We want to be back in Europe.

"But I do think clubs are thinking twice about Europe. If you ask the Swansea chairman or the Spurs chairman about whether it's something that's worked for them, I don't know what their answer would be but I've got a good idea.

"The Europa League is a massive problem to Premier League teams, Swansea and Tottenham are both feeling that like we did last season. I don't think the Premier League and Uefa should get together and look at it because the demands on our teams are greater than in other countries.

"It's something we're wary of, we'll say that now, but we're chasing a Europe spot and that's what we want to get.

"The evidence is there that the Thursday to Sunday is not fair. I think it's different for us than the other European nations."

He's still making excuses for last season.

while you make excuses for this season  :whistle:

I don't think there's any doubt that the extra European games had a big impact on our league form last season, but a big part of that was how poorly he handled it.

Hopefully if we do get back in some big lessons have been learned. Although it doesn't look like the one about not whining on about it has been!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-europa-league-pardew-says-2956127

With Newcastle firmly back in the mix for a top seven finish, Pardew has clarified the team's ambitions. He said: "We want to be back in Europe.

"But I do think clubs are thinking twice about Europe. If you ask the Swansea chairman or the Spurs chairman about whether it's something that's worked for them, I don't know what their answer would be but I've got a good idea.

"The Europa League is a massive problem to Premier League teams, Swansea and Tottenham are both feeling that like we did last season. I don't think the Premier League and Uefa should get together and look at it because the demands on our teams are greater than in other countries.

"It's something we're wary of, we'll say that now, but we're chasing a Europe spot and that's what we want to get.

"The evidence is there that the Thursday to Sunday is not fair. I think it's different for us than the other European nations."

:lol:

I've not minded him recently but this is getting ridiculous :lol: he's such a clem sometimes.

I absolutely love European matches, Dynamo Parttimeplummerstsiblsi on ITV4 Thursday nights I genuinely like watching but you can kind of understand why managers/the money men aren't so enthused.

As a football club we should be taking every chance to win something as seriously as possible, as businessmen you can see why covering your top players wages for a few months isn't really worth the competition.

It is absolutely wrong, in fact it is disgusting but that is the way it is these days :(

I don't think chopping and changing the team as much as we did last season helps either.  Fair enough, maybe rest one or two against the dross if needed but switching out virtually the whole first XI makes it harder to build momentum and cohesion imo.

I think it's clear for all that Pardew has improved significantly this season compared to last:

A more positive outset in games, taking it to the opposition whilst harbouring enough caution not to lose easily

The substitutions have won us games and have made sense instead of infuriating us (see last season)

Not picking the "experienced" or favourites this term but picking the winning "team"

With a decent target man or an upgrade on shola and we could actually have a scarily good team...

Only downside is Ben-Arfa, but whilst we are winning and are looking so hard to beat you cannot exactly bring him too much to fault (except for us utopia lovers  :smitten:)

We look at Europe in completely the wrong way, instead of worrying about players getting tired etc.. we should be thinking about how Sammy, Good, Dummett, Bigi, Ferguson, Campbell etc.. can get some more games against different sorts of opposition. How they can represent the club as first team players. Even give the like of Cisse and Marveaux a chance to get a bit of confidence back.

I want us to take the competition seriously but if we are dead set on this being more games than the first team can extend to why not just use it as a platform for the fringe/youth players?

Might be a different story with their being Champions League qualification for the winners next year. Suddenly there is a money incentive for the EL clubs.

Can't believe they haven't done that from the start, should have been a given.

We all acknowledge the EL is poor, and like Cajun says we could use the extra games to blood the youngsters and give games to fringe players who need the minutes on the pitch.

Didn't he do that last time?

We all acknowledge the EL is poor, and like Cajun says we could use the extra games to blood the youngsters and give games to fringe players who need the minutes on the pitch.

Didn't he do that last time?

Yep and blamed them entirely for the loss at Bordeaux.

Guest firetotheworks

Might be a different story with their being Champions League qualification for the winners next year. Suddenly there is a money incentive for the EL clubs.

I still think that's totally daft and massively unfair like. I think they need to scrap the EL and open up the coefficient to one more from every big league.

This is the team and the bench we put out at Arsenal away last season:

Krul

Simpson

Perch

Coloccini

Santon

Bigirimana

Tiote

Cisse

Marveaux

Obertan

Ba

Substitutes:

Ferguson for Simpson (82)

Sh.Ameobi for Bigirimana (82)

Tavernier for Marveaux (88)

Subs not used

Harper

Sa.Ameobi

Abeid

Streete

Since then we have added 5 players plus Remy on loan, as well as getting Dummett involved in the first team and looking a viable option as a full back. On the other hand we have only lost Harper, Perch and Simpson  from the 1st team squad.

If we were to get into Europe then we would need a few more signings in the summer, but should be far more able to cope with the demands than last time.

Krul

Simpson

Perch

Coloccini

Santon

Bigirimana

Tiote

Cisse

Marveaux

Obertan

Ba

Substitutes:

Subs not used

Harper

Sa.Ameobi

Abeid

Streete

Since then we have added 5 players plus Remy on loan, as well as getting Dummett involved in the first team and looking a viable option as a full back. On the other hand we have only lost Harper, Perch and Simpson  from the 1st team squad.

If we were to get into Europe then we would need a few more signings in the summer, but should be far more able to cope with the demands than last time.

Amazing how much better our starting XI and options from the bench are compared to 12 months ago, quite stunning, it's almost like it crept up unnoticed. Onwards and upwards hopefully.

Krul

Simpson

Perch

Coloccini

Santon

Bigirimana

Tiote

Cisse

Marveaux

Obertan

Ba

Substitutes:

Subs not used

Harper

Sa.Ameobi

Abeid

Streete

What would probably help is that if any of the power brokers at the club actually treated the competition like they wanted to be in it.

We've progressed a bit when it comes to possession. But WHY on earth do we pass it back to Krul so often when we don't have to? For him only hoofing it up the pitch which results in us losing possession most times.

Sooo many times (even lately) when there's quite a few easy options to play the ball to, yet we play it all the way back to Krul. I just don't get it....

“We are keeping our powder dry,” Pardew said of his January transfer plans. “Really, we don’t want to see anybody move out. We are pretty strong on that point and we have room if we are not. We are poised to make a move if it works for us.”

The expression immortalised by Shepherd = we will spend nowt.

Krul

Simpson

Perch

Coloccini

Santon

Bigirimana

Tiote

Cisse

Marveaux

Obertan

Ba

Substitutes:

Subs not used

Harper

Sa.Ameobi

Abeid

Streete

Can you list the injured or suspended players in the same game to add some context?