Manchester United

Mr. Snrub
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

53 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Why has this thread been resurrected after 9 years, just because a Man Utd fan can't stand for his team being out of the limelight?

If that's the reason, this season is a mighty strange time to do it. 

49 minutes ago, et tu brute said:

Hasn't stopped him in the past.

You're more than welcome to go and find all of the times that I've brought us up in a thread rather than replied to posts already talking about us. You won't find too many. :thup:

4 minutes ago, Froggy said:

If that's the reason, this season is a mighty strange time to do it. 

You're more than welcome to go and find all of the times that I've brought us up in a thread rather than replied to posts already talking about us. You won't find too many. :thup:

:lol:

Just now, GeordieDazzler said:

image.thumb.png.6990d2ecb613d8135ec7bf32b9b8fd2f.png

The Glazers are still asking for a ridiculous valuation aren’t they? 

They’re not selling. Nice way for them to get a credible valuation for the club which they can use as leverage in refinancing negotiations with the commercial / investment banks.

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

Upwards of 6 billion. Mad money, but they do rake it in.

If the Qataris are clearing the debt and updating the stadium the total cost to them could be much higher? 

As said before it costs them nothing and pays them a handsome return. They’ve set a price that is basically unrealistic to anyone, even a Petrostate which is quite and achievement :lol:

6 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

They’re not selling. Nice way for them to get a credible valuation for the club which they can use as leverage in refinancing negotiations with the commercial / investment banks.

Just to follow this up:

Principal debt in March 2023 was £535.7m.

Whether floating or fixed at the current time, the rising interest rate environment runs the risk of them being faced to pay a lot more for their interest payments. Similar to us and our mortgages, increased value of the security potentially allows them to take a decent chunk of basis points off the loan. On half a billion over a five year tenor, that’s a chunky amount saved potentially. Plus they can just put ‘cost of sale’ expenses through the club’s P&L and end up spending nothing themselves.

They’re absolute wrong uns and Ferguson sat next to that ugly cunt at the cup final must be a slap in the face to the fans.

4 minutes ago, Thomson Mouse said:

Would love it if the Glazers didn’t sell. Couldn’t happen to a nicer bunch of cunts. 

My impression is they would like to keep a sizeable holding but are seeking a partner to provide further investment. Ratcliffe might agree to that. The Qataris won’t, and are fed up with waiting.

52 minutes ago, McCormick said:

If Ffp wasn’t a thing you could buy a league 1 side and take it to the Champions’ League with 6 billion and still have change :lol:.

I suppose that's the whole point of FFP though, to stop that ever happening again.

A change of ownership likely triggers all the debt being due, and would make more sense for the Qataris to pay it off than to borrow again and pay interest when they have cash

But if the takeover and debt clearing lets them spray cash everywhere is yet another pisstake of the ‘fair’ in FFP

• 9 months later...

https://theathletic.com/5382758/2024/04/02/manchester-united-greenwood-getafe-transfer-contract/

Genuine question that I'm going to stick in here to stop a potentially sour debate raging in other threads, but how would you expect your club to deal with this from now? I know we handled it all terribly in the past, but I mean from this summer onwards.

His contract runs out in 2025. We can extend for a year. There seems to be an expectation that we just let it run down and let him go for free. FFP is so important now and Greenwood is a sellable, pure profit asset.

If this situation had happened at Newcastle, would you want his contract extended and him to be sold this summer, or just let it expire next summer instead? 

3 minutes ago, Froggy said:

https://theathletic.com/5382758/2024/04/02/manchester-united-greenwood-getafe-transfer-contract/

Genuine question that I'm going to stick in here to stop a potentially sour debate raging in other threads, but how would you expect your club to deal with this from now? I know we handled it all terribly in the past, but I mean from this summer onwards.

His contract runs out in 2025. We can extend for a year. There seems to be an expectation that we just let it run down and let him go for free. FFP is so important now and Greenwood is a sellable, pure profit asset.

If this situation had happened at Newcastle, would you want his contract extended and him to be sold this summer, or just let it expire next summer instead? 

Our situation is different to yours though. We are absolutely stifled by FFP, and say if Longstaff came out as doing similar it’s arguably more important to us to get some sort of fee for him.

Irregardless, I wouldn’t him playing for us again.

You on the other hand are able to take hit off him.

8 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Anything other than just cutting him loose is an absolutely horrific look, regardless of FFP.

Extending and then selling even worse.

It would make the persistent cries from Man Utd fans of ‘blood money’ directed at Man City, and, to a far lesser extent, ourselves, seem somewhat ironic. 

4 minutes ago, Stifler said:

Our situation is different to yours though. We are absolutely stifled by FFP, and say if Longstaff came out as doing similar it’s arguably more important to us to get some sort of fee for him.

Irregardless, I wouldn’t him playing for us again.

You on the other hand are able to take hit off him.

I don't think we are. We've needed players the last couple of January transfer windows and haven't been able to afford them.

Bear in mind that the Glazers are paying the Raine group £24.3m for facilitating the SJR deal, and we also owe £10m in professional fees for the same transaction. Losses all over the shop. 

We're extremely close to the £105m loss threshold for FFP.

Wouldn’t want to get a fee off him, wouldn’t want to lose out on ridiculous financial regulations. Genuinely don’t know what I’d want other than him nowhere near our club ever again 

For a few big reasons, you let him run down the contract and release him. Anything made from a sale comes with an offset of losses through negative PR anyway and that's before getting onto how it should be a moral obligation for a club the size and with the history of Man United to bin him. Anything less than that and they've deliberately dragged the club's reputation through the mud forever.

There'll be plenty who think he should be sold to another club, but I think that's partly the reason why you shouldn't do it. Without getting into how it implicitly sets a precedent for normalising and excusing what he did (and for some people how it excuses it explicitly), this whole 'it's business at the end of the day' outlook is a normalisation of money, business, profit, compete at all costs, which is just as dangerous and toxic imo.

Edited by Kid Icarus

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

For a few big reasons, you let him run down the contract and release him. Anything made from a sale comes with an offset of losses through negative PR anyway and that's before getting onto how it should be a moral obligation for a club the size and with the history of Man United to bin him. Anything less than that and they've deliberately dragged the club's reputation through the mud forever.

There'll be plenty who think he should be sold to another club, but I think that's partly the reason why you shouldn't do it. Without getting into how it implicitly sets a precedent for normalising and excusing what he did (and for some people how it excuses it explicitly), this whole 'it's business at the end of the day' outlook is a normalisation of money, business, profit, compete at all costs, which is just as dangerous and toxic imo.

Aye perfectly put.

Didn't like Ratcliffes comments in that (stupid) interview regarding this. I really hope once he gets the executive structure in place that he isn't in charge of footballing matters and it'll be left up to Berrada/Ashworth etc. The way he was talking was like he was open to bringing him back into the squad never mind extending his contract.

We should be cutting ties this summer IMO.