Manchester United

Mr. Snrub
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Smalling is a good player like. Idiotic at the weekend but in general he's been playing well when he has had the chance. Can cover RB and CB and is a good player to have for depth. He isn't as good as Jones, Evans or Rojo though. I can't see him having a career as a starting centre back at us.

Vlaar is not good enough like.

Long term no, but if our current injury trend continues we'll need somebody for the short term, and he's as good as we can hope for. Can't imagine he'll be expensive either. £6m or £7m possibly.

Guest thenorthumbrian

If people want to drone on about Manure I am sure there must be a load of Manure forums they can fuck off to.

If people want to drone on about Manure I am sure there must be a load of Manure forums they can fuck off to.

Piss off man :lol:, there is a thread here on a football forum. Do we have to exclusively talk about Newcastle?

Piss off man :lol:, there is a thread here on a football forum. Do we have to exclusively talk about Newcastle?

god that would get depressing quickly

Think Ramos & Pepe are slightly under-rated. Aye both are liable for a red card but Souness the other day was talking about them both being susceptible. But for me, they are absolutely world class and allow their teams to play in any style. They don't need an excellent DM in front, both are capable of playing in a highline and just squeezing the other team and defending on the front foot. JT & Cahill get plenty of plaudits from pundits for being top defenders and they're very good but they're a level the Madrid duo. Neither is comfortable in a high line or actively pressing attackers. And they can play some - Ramos could play in midfield for most teams. He's also a true leader.

Pepe & Ramos can also sit deep, position themselves well, organise and head/clear everything out when needed.

Varane looks to have the potential to be better than both minus the red card factor.

I think Ramos has distinctly improved in the past couple of years. In his early days at Real Madrid he was a total liability and good for a red card/mistake every other game. While he's not perfect, the advantages the team gets from his "footballing" style and playing it out from the back far outweighs the possible downside of him doing something daft. On a lesser scale I think a similar theme applies to Pepe.

Always thought Ramos was vastly overrated and Pepe was vastly underrated (probably due to his antics) and still do quite frankly.

As for Varane I'm still very much on the fence, he's very talented but I have seen him have more games where he's the reason the team concede than games when he's the reason they don't.

Have to remember Varane's only 21. While that may not be extremely young for a forward, I think it is still very young for a defender where arguably more than anywhere else on the pitch, experience is vital. He'll be mint, just learning a few lessons along the way.

Not really the same thing. He wanted to come to us. :lol:

Varane is clearly more talented but Jones is already a good player and has tons of potential. Easy to forget Jones is only 22 as well since he has been around in England for a while now. I'm very happy that we have him.