Newcastle United 1 - 0 Aston Villa - 23/02/14 - post-match reaction from Page 35

BlueStar

Good grief, was up at 3:30am on holiday to watch this shower. That said the time worked in my favour as I snoozed through periods of the second half!

Highlight from me, which sums up one of our major issues, was the complete lack of organization during one of our free kicks. 6/7 of our players huddled around the free kick with no clue of who was taking it or what should happen, nobody in the box, Remy eventually takes a lame shot that comes to nothing.

I was almost angry we scored. Seeing our coaching staff celebrating like we have one the league just because they have secured their jobs for a year..sickening. Bunch of charlatans the lot of em.

The season we finished fifth had plenty of utterly turgid moments in it tbf.

Norwich at home in that six-game winning run was a stand out.  We went 1-0 up then just sat back.  We were grinding out results but the football wasn't exactly swashbuckling.

The 2-2 draw against Wolves at St. James' was rather grim.

:anguish: blowing a 2-0 lead against one of the shittest sides ever to grace the Premier League.

Terry O'connor as manager. :lol:

Ah, forgot that he was manager at that point :anguish:

Good grief, was up at 3:30am on holiday to watch this shower. That said the time worked in my favour as I snoozed through periods of the second half!

Highlight from me, which sums up one of our major issues, was the complete lack of organization during one of our free kicks. 6/7 of our players huddled around the free kick with no clue of who was taking it or what should happen, nobody in the box, Remy eventually takes a lame shot that comes to nothing.

I was almost angry we scored. Seeing our coaching staff celebrating like we have one the league just because they have secured their jobs for a year..sickening. Bunch of charlatans the lot of em.

The one Gouffran took an age over, only to hit a daisycutter straight into the wall was another particularly good one.

It's still hilarious that our plan is seemingly for whoever plays at left back to take corners, too.

Guest neesy111

Dummet's corners were pretty good actually

I thought they were OK (getting past the 1st man) but they need more pace on them for me.

A critical crowd that haven't seen their team score since Boxing day, more complete s**** from youself after defending pardew to the backside after the chelsea game.

I only feel compelled to defend Pardew firstly because I know him and secondly because the criticism on here,  unlike at SJP, never seems balanced to me. But that's just my opinion and I am either less objective or more balanced because I know him. Maybe I am blind too far in favour but it does make me smile the way that we finished 5th the season before last gets completed obliterated from the history of NUFC because it doesn't suit an anti-Pardew argument. Still I guess I'm spouting complete s***, simply because I happen to have a different viewpoint. Please believe one thing, if you knew only some of what goes in behind the scenes and how the club is run, you might not change YOUR opinion, which I respect btw, but you might have a slightly different opinion of who is to blame.

If you really know Pardew tell him he's a cunt and to play Ben Arfa

:facepalm:

Guest neesy111

A critical crowd that haven't seen their team score since Boxing day, more complete s**** from youself after defending pardew to the backside after the chelsea game.

I only feel compelled to defend Pardew firstly because I know him and secondly because the criticism on here,  unlike at SJP, never seems balanced to me. But that's just my opinion and I am either less objective or more balanced because I know him. Maybe I am blind too far in favour but it does make me smile the way that we finished 5th the season before last gets completed obliterated from the history of NUFC because it doesn't suit an anti-Pardew argument. Still I guess I'm spouting complete s***, simply because I happen to have a different viewpoint. Please believe one thing, if you knew only some of what goes in behind the scenes and how the club is run, you might not change YOUR opinion, which I respect btw, but you might have a slightly different opinion of who is to blame.

:anguish:

I was surprised by the crowd around me generally celebrating as if we'd captured the title. Personally I felt almost completely empty. Don't think I've ever felt like that after a Newcastle winner. :undecided:

Three points closer to a competition that we actively admit we don't want to be in and the manager's job safe for a few more weeks. Joy indeed.

:thup:

My feelings exactly.

Excuse the paying crowd for being happy for seeing the first Newcastle goal and win since Boxing Day.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

If you really know Pardew tell him he's a c*** and to play Ben Arfa

:spit:

Was very pleased with Dummett's showing today, one awful slip and squandering of possession on the halfway line aside.

Should stay in the side in the short-term for sure. He looks promising.

Liked his corners, most dangerous we have had in a while, although not deadly. He did ok but don't rate him any higher than Haidara or Santon.

:lol: :lol:

:lol:

The 5th place finish doesn't get "obliterated from the history of NUFC," but seemingly every counter-argument for why that 5th place finish is completely irrelevant in 2014 - and how the mistakes he was making during that season are still present now - have been obliterated from this board.

These days you're only as good as your next season. It won't be forgotten but it's not a reason for praise - we've been woeful since. Gone backwards and sold two influential players.

Like Midds says, he knew what he was walking into and the door is always open for him to walk away if he doesn't like the circumstances behind the scenes. Instead he chooses to regularly defend the man who is 'to blame' for all of this, thus making himself just as culpable.

These days you're only as good as your next season. It won't be forgotten but it's not a reason for praise - we've been woeful since. Gone backwards and sold two influential players.

Like Midds says, he knew what he was walking into and the door is always open for him to walk away if he doesn't like the circumstances behind the scenes. Instead he chooses to regularly defend the man who is 'to blame' for all of this, thus making himself just as culpable.

Correct. Just waiting for him to move into a victim phase now.

I only feel compelled to defend Pardew firstly because I know him and secondly because the criticism on here,  unlike at SJP, never seems balanced to me. But that's just my opinion and I am either less objective or more balanced because I know him. Maybe I am blind too far in favour but it does make me smile the way that we finished 5th the season before last gets completed obliterated from the history of NUFC because it doesn't suit an anti-Pardew argument. Still I guess I'm spouting complete shit, simply because I happen to have a different viewpoint. Please believe one thing, if you knew only some of what goes in behind the scenes and how the club is run, you might not change YOUR opinion, which I respect btw, but you might have a slightly different opinion of who is to blame.

Come on spill the beans then if you know?

The 5th placed season isn't forgotten as many say. When he has all of his best players fit and working hard in the system he likes he has proven he can get results.

He rightly got big praise for that season, especially post January when we played some really nice stuff.

He also had a few, like myself who could see the danger signs with some of his tactics/use of substitutions and often negative mentality of "stop the opposition and try nick a goal"

Last season immediately had warning signs when we failed to capitalise on a good season by not spending much money. That was compounded by Pardew bizarrely scraping the 4-4-3 that had served us so well and converting back to a 442 but with Cisse and Ba, which simply didn't work.

As we all know once things started going badly and when he didn't have his best team to pick for ever game he looked lost.

That season continued to go bad, until we had a small boost of the french guys in January that he had begged for. Unfortunately even after being given the players he'd asked for, we still hobbled over the finish line and stayed up by the skin of our teeth.

This year has now seen a combination of the last two. We had a poor start, then went on a run as good as, if not better than the 5th season. Now we have just been on a run of losses reminiscent of last season.

I think for many on here, the constant bullshit that he comes out with in his interviews, the assumption that he is in with Ashley and is just his mouth piece, the lack of ambition to succeed in cups(leaving Remy and Cabaye out of both fixtures) and now the recent run of being unable to motivate the team to finish the season strong. Not forgetting the Ben Arfa bullshit.

That could be a few reasons why a few of us are fed up of him in my opinion.

Good point, and if Cisse has been written off by the majority of fans as now having spent longer out of form then in, then surely the same applies to Alan 'cotton ball mouth' Pardew, only more so.

How much of a crack-papering exercise the Remy goal was is a matter of personal opinion, but while rightly welcomed it was an isolated moment of competence.

A 50,000+ crowd looks great on paper, but the thin fare they were offered up for 90 minutes reinforced the idea that many present were there in body only, attending out of a sense of duty. SJP has seldom been as silent.

On a day when the manner of performance was as vital as the victory, United may have collected the points, but failed to convince many that better times lie ahead here.

The win took us on to 40 points and back to eighth - cause merely for relief, not satisfaction or pleasure.

:sadnod:

Dummet's corners were pretty good actually

I thought they were OK (getting past the 1st man) but they need more pace on them for me.

However if they knock a ball to Williamson out wide from a set piece one more time... Pardew should be sacked for that tactic alone.

Strange atmosphere at the ground today, very quiet. It wasn't because of the rank football though IMO, although the cautious, clueless build up play was bad enough. Fans weren't up for it because the the season effectively ended a few weeks ago. Pardew conceded the cups and went on record to say we weren't going for the UEAFA spots. When the manager has killed any excitement and hope, it's a bit rich to then blame the crowd for not showing much of it.