Ayozé Pérez (now playing for Real Betis)

ponsaelius

So it's taken 20 odd million and a record breaking transfer for Ayoze to finally do his lightning-quick turn on the halfway line again! For the first time in about 3 years he looks interested again. Absolutely brilliant today and deserved his goal. Lovely finish.

That's not true since he was very good towards the end of last season, was crucial in keeping us up

Indeed - he was out of form for a couple of months at the start of this season (like virtually everyone), but he's probably been our best player over the last 12 months.

So it's taken 20 odd million and a record breaking transfer for Ayoze to finally do his lightning-quick turn on the halfway line again! For the first time in about 3 years he looks interested again. Absolutely brilliant today and deserved his goal. Lovely finish.

That's not true since he was very good towards the end of last season, was crucial in keeping us up

That's a fair comment. What I actually meant is that he looks to be enjoying his football again. My bad. He's been a miserable git for a while now despite the hard work he does.

That's a fair comment. What I actually meant is that he looks to be enjoying his football again. My bad. He's been a miserable git for a while now despite the hard work he does.

Maybe that's because, despite his hard work, he has been the target of abuse.

Was mention of a potential call up to the Spain squad on goals on Sunday yesterday? But I've not heard anything elsewhere

Which was immediately and diplomatically rubbished by Luis Garcia.

Mmmm. I'm sure I heard him say something along the lines of It would be really difficult with the likes of Diego Costa in the squad, ie saying they had an embarrassment of riches so it would be unlikely.

He was really irritating in the role he mostly played for us until recently while also being probably our most productive player at the same time. Has really thrived since getting that bit more support from Atsu first and now Almiron

He’s always been very good technically, the biggest improvement to his game is ball retention and being stronger in possession. He was far too easy to knock off the ball and this regularly left us exposed as he’d lose possession in the middle of the park and we’d be caught out of shape when he lost it.

It’ll be interesting to see how he links in with Almiron against a proper team with 11 men.

He’s always been very good technically, the biggest improvement to his game is ball retention and being stronger in position. He was far too easy to knock off the ball and this regularly left us exposed as he’d lose possession in the middle of the park and we’d be caught out of shape when he lost it.

It’ll be interesting to see how he links in with Almiron against a proper team with 11 men.

One thing I noticed against Huddersfield more than any of his other recent performances, he wasn't knocked off the ball anywhere near as many times. He actually stood up to some shoulder barges and tackles really well.. hopefully it's finally clicked

He’s always been very good technically, the biggest improvement to his game is ball retention and being stronger in position. He was far too easy to knock off the ball and this regularly left us exposed as he’d lose possession in the middle of the park and we’d be caught out of shape when he lost it.

One thing I noticed against Huddersfield more than any of his other recent performances, he wasn't knocked off the ball anywhere near as many times. He actually stood up to some shoulder barges and tackles really well.. hopefully it's finally clicked

A large part of the reason he looked less than brilliant at the start of the season is that he and the striker were often very isolated, and it was easy for defences to swarm two or even three defenders on him whenever he was trying to bring the ball forward. That doesn't happen so much any more

Another thing this guy deserves huge credit for is his fitness. He is always available despite playing all the time. Great injury record.

True, although I still think injuries are more down to luck than anything else.

really?  major ones sure but since rafa came we've been a different club in terms of repeat, niggling stuff that has fucked us my entire time supporting the club

i would suggest a major part of that is his rotation/fitness policy