Siem de Jong (still alive)

Guest ManDoon

I've been thinking who he's comparable to. Poor man's Mueller maybe, more dynamic version of Nolan, but I think the closest I can think of is actually Clint Dempsey in his Fulham days. Not great technically or a creative force, but a player with great determination, useful technique, good movement and finishing. If he has put his injuries behind him we've got ourselves a nice little player at a good age here.

How would you compare him with Gouffran? There's another player who doesn't quite seem to be an out and out striker and ends up playing on the wing.

Well, it's hard to compare since they play in slightly different positions. I see Goufran more as a centre forward who can play out wide, whereas De Jong is more of an attacking midfield player who can play centre forward. De Jong is also more consistent I think, with slightly better pace and technique.

I just worry for De Jong on that score when I read Pardew quotes that he's overjoyed to get a striker through the door. Gouffran isn't a wide player at all, and after a year and a half I still don't know if he's a striker. I hope Pards realises that De Jong will need to play off a proper centre forward, which we still haven't signed.

What I meant by that is that he's experienced enough to be of use straight away yet his best years should be in front of him.

I know he was Ajax's captain but was he much of a leader on the pitch as well? Just I think that is something that we 've been missing for a while.

I've been thinking who he's comparable to. Poor man's Mueller maybe, more dynamic version of Nolan, but I think the closest I can think of is actually Clint Dempsey in his Fulham days. Not great technically or a creative force, but a player with great determination, useful technique, good movement and finishing. If he has put his injuries behind him we've got ourselves a nice little player at a good age here.

How would you compare him with Gouffran? There's another player who doesn't quite seem to be an out and out striker and ends up playing on the wing.

Well, it's hard to compare since they play in slightly different positions. I see Goufran more as a centre forward who can play out wide, whereas De Jong is more of an attacking midfield player who can play centre forward. De Jong is also more consistent I think, with slightly better pace and technique.

I just worry for De Jong on that score when I read Pardew quotes that he's overjoyed to get a striker through the door. Gouffran isn't a wide player at all, and after a year and a half I still don't know if he's a striker. I hope Pards realises that De Jong will need to play off a proper centre forward, which we still haven't signed.

Most Ajax fans seem to think Siem de Jong's best position was actually as a false number 9 due to good movement, finishing and being able to hold the ball up. Obviously that would not work with our long ball "strategy". Will certainly be interesting to see how Pardew (sigh) plans to use him.

What I meant by that is that he's experienced enough to be of use straight away yet his best years should be in front of him.

I know he was Ajax's captain but was he much of a leader on the pitch as well? Just I think that is something that we 've been missing for a while.

He was, although not in a shout out loud, rile 'm up kind of way. He seems an intelligent young man who commands respect from other players. Obviously being new to the club I wouldn't expect him to come in and start behaving like a leader off the bat.

Bet he wanted to back out of the deal when they told him he had to put this on

http://i.imgur.com/1usgbEh.png

It looks like it's just been picked up off the floor of a Sports Direct store and handed to him to put on.

"I'm really pleased we have managed to get a striker early. And particularly a striker of Siem's type; because you know, we need to bed him in a little bit about how we are going to play and find out the best route for him and for us.

That's him in early for heading practice then :lol:

"I'm really pleased we have managed to get a striker early. And particularly a striker of Siem's type; because you know, we need to bed him in a little bit about how we are going to play and find out the best route for him and for us.

I can feel my depression setting in again.

Sign a promising CAM. Immediately pass him off as the striker signing.  Ugh

The fact that he's only excited about the next 'couple of years' rather than the full duration of his contract says quite a lot imo.

Yeah, quite revealing about how we are sold to prospective players and the nature of our "project" imo. Depressing.

Just noticed Ricky van Wolfswinkel is with the same agent as De Jong. We've been interested in him before, haven't we? What are the odds we will try to get him in on the cheap from relegated Norwich after a disappointing season? His value must have dropped significantly, which must look appealing to our spreadsheet brigade. :lol:

Just noticed Ricky van Wolfswinkel is with the same agent as De Jong. We've been interested in him before, haven't we? What are the odds we will try to get him in on the cheap from relegated Norwich after a disappointing season? His value must have dropped significantly, which must look appealing to our spreadsheet brigade. :lol:

Hopefully the odds are extremely low.

Most Ajax fans seem to think Siem de Jong's best position was actually as a false number 9 due to good movement, finishing and being able to hold the ball up. Obviously that would not work with our long ball "strategy". Will certainly be interesting to see how Pardew (sigh) plans to use him.

I'm wondering if there's anything in the Shelvey rumour now, this guy isn't the playmaking Cabaye replacement but seems like he'll fit with a midfielder who can pass a bit and see the space. If not Shelvey then someone like him.

Don't think De Jong is going to work with our current midfield.

Pisses me right off, this.

Any other team would chuck him in and let him do his stuff from the off - in trying to be sensible and give him time, it's actually making it less likely that he'll succeed :lol:

It's not even as though we play a complex brand of football that takes genuine time and practise to get used to. Our football is about as basic as it comes, de Jong could probably teach Pardew more from what he learnt at Ajax than the other way round ffs.

Michu maybe? When he was good obviously, from the half a dozen times i watched De Jong he seemed a technically superior version of him.

Michu maybe? When he was good obviously, from the half a dozen times i watched him he seemed a technically superior version of him.

Another decent shout, although I would probably die if De Jong had an impact like Michu's first season.

Pisses me right off, this.

Any other team would chuck him in and let him do his stuff from the off - in trying to be sensible and give him time, it's actually making it less likely that he'll succeed :lol:

Im reading it as him saying hes glad hes got him in early because he has time to settle in, not that he wont be in the side when the season starts.