Newcastle United vs Arsenal - Saturday 29th August 12:45pm (BT Sport 1)

LoveItIfWeBeatU

Seriously if he plays the Anita/Colback axis of evil and Obertan :anguish:

That's a given. Not sure about Obertan

it's fucking suicide man

back 5

anita

sissoko wijnaldum

thauvin                perez

mitrovic

play some version of this and we've a very good chance of dominating the midfield and battering them into submission at the back with mitrovic

With the way they play, I don't think you "dominate" the midfield against Arsenal. Unless you have much better players. 60% possession for them is a given.

Just stop the forward pass 25-30 yards out and hit them quickly when they lose it. Hit their makeshift CHs at set pieces. If you have the skills and/or pace, run at them too. Mitro may even be able to muscle his way in. Step number one though is don't let them pass it through you.

The last time we beat them was with that looped header from miles out by Carroll. It went down as another error by Fabianski, who came and didn't get it, but since then he's been reborn at Swansea. He's a good keeper now.

With the way they play, I don't think you "dominate" the midfield against Arsenal. Unless you have much better players. 60% possession for them is a given.

Just stop the forward pass 25-30 yards out and hit them quickly when they lose it. Hit their makeshift CHs at set pieces. If you have the skills and/or pace, run at them too. Mitro may even be able to muscle his way in. Step number one though is don't let them pass it through you.

The last time we beat them was with that looped header from miles out by Carroll. It went down as another error by Fabianski, who came and didn't get it, but since then he's been reborn at Swansea. He's a good keeper now.

i meant physically dominate/impose ourselves on them in midfield instead of the usual standing still and watching them cut us to ribbons in the middle :lol:

you've a much better chance of that with sissoko central with wijnaldum than with the axis of nothingness

I almost moved to the west coast earlier this year and the second thing on the cons list was "Early game starts at 4:45." Props to you - 745 is early enough.

Thinking seriously about getting up at 4:30 to watch this. Haven't been watching the early games for a couple of seasons now.

If the lineup includes Obertan and Colback, I'll probably go right back to bed.

Ayoze has to be on the left and Thauvin has to be on the right. If sissoko is fit, one of Colback or Anita (hopefully colback) has to be dropped so Gini can drop deeper and allow Sissoko through the middle, simple.

I'd be very happy with that, but I doubt it'll happen. Especially given the opposition. Perhaps if we were against a lesser team we'd consider going a little more attacking with that CM partnership.

(technically I'd dump Sissoko for SDJ, but I'd be content with either)

Have to say that does sound like an excellent set up when we're up and running properly.

I'm feeling weirdly confident. It might be lack of both sleep and caffeine.

I'm having a coffee now, I'll let you know the effects.

If you're anything like me it will probably just open up your pipes after that first sip.

Why not feel confident Jill? We got a draw against a confident Man Utd side, at old Trafford. Arsenal are lacking belief and we are at home.

I know, I'm just usually a very negative and cynical person.

I'll see how I feel after this Pepsi Max.

If I was in charge I would honestly go

Krul

Janmaat  Mbemba Colo  Haidara

Wijnaldum Anita

Sissoko      Thauvin    Perez

Mitrovic

I know Thauvin is here to play wide, and I'm happy with that most the time, but when we are going to be getting our chances on the counter I kinda want Perez doing what he did against Man U, and give Thauvin liscence to roam and look to turn any of the defense looking a bit dodgy.

I'm not feeling the optimism that some people seem to be. After a hard fought point at Man U then a good win midweek this is just

the sort of game to kick our optimism in the balls. I just hope we aren't penned in all game while happily sitting back taking it.

I'd definitely start Tiote over Colback but it won't happen. I'll be disappointed if Thauvin, Mitrovic and Perez all don't start. Their performances have deserved it.

I'm not feeling the optimism that some people seem to be. After a hard fought point at Man U then a good win midweek this is just

the sort of game to kick our optimism in the balls. I just hope we aren't penned in all game while happily sitting back taking it.

I'd definitely start Tiote over Colback but it won't happen. I'll be disappointed if Thauvin, Mitrovic and Perez all don't start. Their performances have deserved it.

There's a good reason why it won't happen too.

Why is starting Tiote over Colback so mental? Defensively the latter is awful. I know it was only against Northampton but Tiote looked some way back to his old self. His distribution was much faster and he was an aggressive force in the middle of the pitch; something we've missed in my opinion.

Same feelings, I like the direction we're going in but this looks like a sizeable defeat to me. Sometimes Arsenal just don't manage to break teams down though, so maybe that will happen again.

Saw a headline somewhere that Koscielny might return in time for this game anyway. Of course he has to, well it wouldn't surprise me at least. Mbemba has to start as a CB to take care of Walcott among others.