Jonjo Shelvey (now playing for Çaykur Rizespor, on loan from Nottingham Forest)

Guest ManDoon

• 2 weeks later...

Lazy fucking prick. I'm apathetic about us losing etc but watching this cunt trundling along a few yards behind Tielemans as he scooped in the winner still made me incredibly angry. Useless wanker.

I used to stick up for him. Thought he was one of our only positive midfield players. But I’ve been sick of him for a good while now. Just ambles about, has got even more outrageous with always trying that 40-50 yard through ball and I think he has got even lazier under Bruce. So bad on set pieces and shooting from range, as well. Which for a player with his technique and ability, is really frustrating.

Weirdly, he’s quite good in the air, though?!

Guest ManDoon

Every time he plays a commentator says “a guy of his passing ability” and every time I try to think of the last good pass I saw him make.

I still can't believe this decision! Rafa would have binned him in the summer of 19 if he'd stayed!

The head coach insists Shelvey has “not been quite right” since his operation, and perhaps there is some truth to that, but it also feels like a convenient excuse. It was Bruce, though, who urged the Newcastle board to extend Shelvey’s contract last year and, with the midfielder amongst the club’s top earners and with a deal that runs until 2023

Every time he plays a commentator says “a guy of his passing ability” and every time I try to think of the last good pass I saw him make.

They often say similar with set pieces, too. Never knew corners floated to the penalty spot were a real threat.

Heard the other day “Matt Ritchie has a great set piece delivery” from one of the assistant comms (Hinchcliffe?) - I just laughed - can’t recall a decent delivery by Ritchie in 2 years - even Shearer schooled him a few years back when they both had a shootout comp - this is Shearer who had dodgy knees and ankles, plus a bad back

He is a good passer like, it's just a shame that the opposition midfielders get in the way.

Gary Monk called him lazy when he was at Swansea. Remember him just standing on the edge of the box in one of their cup games against Oxford, he does nothing and they score. Fans turned on him then, probably just before he turned up here.

Looked different class that season in the Championship, but doesn’t have the mobility or seemingly heart to cut it in the PL.

Gary Monk called him lazy when he was at Swansea. Remember him just standing on the edge of the box in one of their cup games against Oxford, he does nothing and they score. Fans turned on him then, probably just before he turned up here.

Looked different class that season in the Championship, but doesn’t have the mobility or seemingly heart to cut it in the PL.

also he was getting left alone with yards of space in the first 6 months of that season. he had all the time in the world to pick a pass, plus we had more mobilty in the side then - even including goufrann.

last part of the season the opposition styarted to close him down more and he did less well.