Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

That's because we were going down otherwise, see really no evidence to suggest we'll suddenly start spending cash if i'm honest.

about 45million was spent pre-season.

Ashley's main issue is suspect/clinically insane managerial appointments.

He tried to be clever by saving money there, and relying on what he thought was a savvy scout instead. That was an expensive lesson in the end. If Rafa does relatively well this season I think he'll have a lot more leeway next year.

If Caballero and Abraham were the first choices for those positions (maybe second in Caballero's case) then it gives you an idea of the sort of budget he's operating with and the sort of players we'll be going for.

Time to pull a couple of rabbits out of a couple of hats, Rafa.

I read from those two that were cheap/available and likely to come thus leaving more money to strengthen elsewhere rather than have to pay £15-20m on two positions we'd still need but could have for £0-5m.

No doubt that there is a chance that he could move, but not for what we'd be pondering to pay. Probably better clubs in for him as well (But maybe the Rafa factor would have helped if we were willing to pay for him)

:lol: Five years of transfer famine only to feast with McClaren.

The craziest appointment ever, after the famous bolt the horse and carriage. McClaren hardly chose the players coming in mind.

I think the only one he fought for and signed was Shelvey, maybe possibly Townsend?

Guest firetotheworks

He could end up anywhere at the moment like. There's little reason to believe that it would be us that he'd come to. /Ryder

Was Scott Parker the last Premier League player that we went head-to-head with another Premier League club to sign? Remembered Duff ahead of Spurs but found an article from back then saying he turned Spurs down out of respect to Chelsea so I'm not counting that.

That's because we were going down otherwise, see really no evidence to suggest we'll suddenly start spending cash if i'm honest.

about 45million was spent pre-season.

Ashley's main issue is suspect/clinically insane managerial appointments.

Aye and without that spending we would have been certainties for the drop, Ashley only spends when he's investment is in danger.

I don't see that changing and i really don't see why people think any different.

Because the numbers are simple. The club is allowed to spend what it earns. He takes nothing out, and puts nothing in outside the loans when we (often) fuck up.

In that sense you can discount Ashley from the equation bar possibly drunkenly accepting or pulling the plug on a deal. No idea if that ever actually happens though, he has been increasingly removed himself from the picture and has admitted his lack of knowledge so his appointments have and are the key to what we do in the market.

We have less to spend now as the year in the championship has crippled us to some extent, but a year or two in the premiership should change that, and it is up to the manager and those Ashley has delegated to to decide how and when it gets spent.

Was Scott Parker the last Premier League player that we went head-to-head with another Premier League club to sign? Remembered Duff ahead of Spurs but found an article from back then saying he turned Spurs down out of respect to Chelsea so I'm not counting that.

Marveaux and Liverpool?

Marveaux and Liverpool?

Wasn't a Premier League player when we signed him

Not sure if we had any competition from PL clubs for Ba or Colback (even though they were both free). Sure West Ham wanted Colback at some stage