Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd be shocked if Lascelles isn't a starter next season. Personally hope to see Hanley as a sub. Let's not forget it's a long season. Injuries, suspensions, plus Rafa likes to rotate.

I'd prefer to see a LB signed and use Dummet as backup for CB when required with the new kid from Arsenal as 4th choice assuming he's not turboshit there.

Not sure about signing Hanley at this stage unless Rafa thinks he can make a PL CB out of him I suppose.

I'd be shocked if Lascelles isn't a starter next season. Personally hope to see Hanley as a sub. Let's not forget it's a long season. Injuries, suspensions, plus Rafa likes to rotate.

That's what I would hope for.

Lee Ryder Verifierat konto  ‏@lee_ryder  · 16 minför 16 minuter sedan 

Understand that Grant Hanley has told Blackburn he is keen on idea of moving to #NUFC

How did he manage to understand that? Was he walking down Grey street and saw a monkey in the window doing sign language but Lee hadn't brushed up on his sign for ages, so rather than knowing for sure, he only understands that Hanley wants to come to us?

I'd definitely be happier if CBs were signed. I'm not a fan of the "but Player X can play there" school of thinking. Yes, they maybe can, but I'd rather that was because of a forced substitution in a match rather than the very first injury or suspension.

That's what I would hope for.

Can't imagine there's a better two CBs in the Championship than Mbemba and Lascelles TBH.

Know nowt about Hanley, but we defo need another CB. You're only as strong as your weakest link - we can't be dropping points because we've got players out of position at CB and teams launch it long and catch us out. You see it with the top PL sides  - when they have inadequate cover at the back, it often derails their season.

Is Hanley someone who would sign to be a sub? This CB signing is pretty tricky, getting the standard of player right.

Although coming in as a sub, I think he would get a fair amount of game time. Rafa's a manager who likes to rotate and with Mbemba being away for 6 weeks in January then I think he'd be alright.

Perhaps he's coming more on a rotation basis.  Rafa might see Lacelles and Mbemba as mostly first choice but he wants Hanley as he might be more suited to certain teams with more direct and physical forwards.

I'd imagine we'd be signing him to start him given his age, the rumoured fee and the fact he's the Captain of Blackburn. He's not likely to leave all of that without some assurances he'll get plenty of game time.

I hope Mbemba is not off.

Also, worth remembering that Rafa is pretty heartless, when it comes to team selection and maybe he was using Lascelles at the end of the season due to limited options. Perhaps he wasn't as convinced as many of us fans were?

I think it's wise to have competition for Lascelles. As well as he did last year he could easily go off the boil - we need someone ready to come in and perform if he needs taking out of the spotlight for a few weeks.

Rafa will like Lascelles IMO, but he's too young and inexperienced to rely on to be a 40-game consistent performer.

Dummett and Mbabu might be considered as CBs, but at this time the only big commanding one we've got is Lascelles. That would be why Rafa is looking to bring in someone like Hanley I would think and it makes absolute sense.

Guest reefatoon

There is a clip on youtube of Hanley called "Grant Hanley assault on Paul Scholes"  If he comes in and does that to our ginger midfielder in training, then he will be a cult hero on here.

It's been said before, but we need depth and experience. You can't turn your nose up at the club when that's exactly what they are pursuing. If Hanley comes and plays every game at the expense of Mbemba or Lascelles it's because Rafa thinks he can do the job better and fine by me.

Problem areas are being addressed. You can't be of the mindset that we shouldn't sign someone to protect the position of someone else. We need competition and the best players should play. I'd love to see Aarons be a big deal this year but I still want another winger who is just as good, if not better. Can't have too many good players.

It's been said before, but we need depth and experience. You can't turn your nose up at the club when that's exactly what they are pursuing. If Hanley comes and plays every game at the expense of Mbemba or Lascelles it's because Rafa thinks he can do the job better and fine by me.

Problem areas are being addressed. You can't be of the mindset that we shouldn't sign someone to protect the position of someone else. We need competition and the best players should play. I'd love to see Aarons be a big deal this year but I still want another winger who is just as good, if not better. Can't have too many good players.

:thup:

I like them both as well but they are largely unproven, however much potential we may think they have. The future of the club is more important than the future of the players.

You need balance, but it should not be to the detriment to the club. Obviously Jose style obliteration of youth is not what I want to see, but I also don't want to persist with players who are struggling when we hoped they'd be better in the name of development. We've done that for the last 2 or 3 seasons. I get why people worry about Armstrong getting a chance for example but if he's good enough he will. We shouldn't be upset that he has to be better to get that chance.

Is it just me who's getting sick of all this talk about Sissoko and Wijnaldum? :lol: I just want it sorted out asap, one way or another. I know it is what it is and it will continue until they leave or the window closes, but still..

Is it just me who's getting sick of all this talk about Sissoko and Wijnaldum? :lol: I just want it sorted out asap, one way or another. I know it is what it is and it will continue until they leave or the window closes, but still..

Most of it is all hot air, so i don't even care atm. Probably helps that i expected them to leave the minute we got relegated.

I'm confident that if we have competition for places it will benefit us and the best players will ultimately get the starting berths they deserve.

So any signing is fine by me - so long as Rafa approves.