Ciaran Clark (now a free agent)

Foluwashola

3 hours ago, samptime29 said:

Nobody covered themselves in glory on that goal. Clark hasn't been as good this season but he's not been awful. Today was a pen, and sloppy but he was trying to be aggressive, just caught him on the arm.

He's a good honest pro, but when he gets a longer run of games, his limitations start getting more apparent and he starts costing us goals. I don't begrudge him his new contract, but if we get half decent owners he needs to be upgraded. 

Clark, ritchie, gayle, Murphy..they are all grafters you see at top championship clubs and lower relegation fighting premier league clubs. 

They give there all and have moments, Clark's goals have been invaluable. They simply wouldn't play for better or ambitious clubs though. None would be here had Rafa stayed. I'd add shelvey but he doesn't graft.

I really like Clark. Perhaps I've just been put off from some of the horrific CBs we have had to watch through the years, Bramble, Boumsong, Taylor etc.

I like a centre half who doesn't make howlers, who shows some leadership and gets on with no fuss. Clark has been all of those things and we was key to our promotion.

He is one of the few players I don't worry about, I'd fancy Lascelles getting turned by a pacey striker before Clark making a howler. 

He shouldn't be first choice, looking forward, but he's calm and efficient and we want to be careful before throwing reliable centre half's in the bin, when we don't know who could be coming in.

I’m not going to blame him too much for the penalty to be honest. You can’t jump without bringing up your arms, and the law states that if your arms aren’t by your side then it’s a penalty. By letter of the law it was penalty although it was more ball to hand than hand to ball. It’s the law that is wrong, and that’s down to having money men in charge of football instead of people who have actually played the game, or have any sort of mental ability to recognise the laws of physics and anatomy.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

I really like Clark. Perhaps I've just been put off from some of the horrific CBs we have had to watch through the years, Bramble, Boumsong, Taylor etc.

I like a centre half who doesn't make howlers, who shows some leadership and gets on with no fuss. Clark has been all of those things and we was key to our promotion.

He is one of the few players I don't worry about, I'd fancy Lascelles getting turned by a pacey striker before Clark making a howler. 

He shouldn't be first choice, looking forward, but he's calm and efficient and we want to be careful before throwing reliable centre half's in the bin, when we don't know who could be coming in.

Totally disagree with every point you made there mind. As for Lascelle’s getting turned by a pacey striker, Clark can’t even match the pace of a carthorse like Wood. 

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

I’m not going to blame him too much for the penalty to be honest. You can’t jump without bringing up your arms, and the law states that if your arms aren’t by your side then it’s a penalty. By letter of the law it was penalty although it was more ball to hand than hand to ball. It’s the law that is wrong, and that’s down to having money men in charge of football instead of people who have actually played the game, or have any sort of mental ability to recognise the laws of physics and anatomy.

The truth is, without his arm there, he would have still got his head on the ball and the pattern of the game wouldn't have changed but yes, as you say, it was a penalty by the laws of the game. I'd have a been fuming had we not got that pen.

Just now, et tu brute said:

Totally disagree with every point you made there mind. As for Lascelle’s getting turned by a pacey striker, Clark can’t even match the pace of a carthorse like Wood. 

He doesn't need to, his positioning is normally better than Lascelles.

Like Dummett, people like to bash him first. Rafa liked both players. I know who I trust.

Just now, STM said:

He doesn't need to, his positioning is normally better than Lascelles.

Like Dummett, people like to bash him first. Rafa liked both players. I know who I trust.

Clark was 5th choice under Rafa in his final season. Each to their own, if the likes of Clark, Dummett and Ritchie float your boat. 

1 minute ago, et tu brute said:

Clark was 5th choice under Rafa in his final season. Each to their own, if the likes of Clark, Dummett and Ritchie float your boat. 

What you on about "float your boat". Clever cunt.

2 hours ago, Stifler said:

I wanted to agree with this version of events, I watched a few replays of that penalty incident desperately looking for a reason to say we were hard done by VAR, but I just couldn't work out why his right arm was outstretched so far above the forward's head. Even if the ball didn't hit his arm you could argue he was obstructing the player's jump. 

• 6 months later...

Rapidly becoming a prime candidate for the “players you saw too much of thread”. Now his set piece goals gave dried up, he offers nothing at all. Get him dropped for fuck’s sake.

6 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

Got the assist for the equaliser, didn't he?

Not saying he shouldn't be one of the first to be replaced, but credit where it's due.

It was a good header to tee up the goal in fairness.