Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

1 hour ago, Kid Icarus said:

I know it's not his game, but he was just as bad defensively I thought. 

Yeah, he tracked back well. But always seemed to be miles away from his man. We did seem to play quite narrow and the switch out wide was often on. So may have been a tactical thing. 

10 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Now the pressure is off would be tempted to start Almirion ahead of him 

Why? 

He’s never really looked like a RW and if Howe is seeing Murphy performing the game plan better in training why would you change it until ASM is fit and Fraser can slot back over to that side?

14 minutes ago, Jesse Pinkman said:

Now the pressure is off would be tempted to start Almirion ahead of him 

As much as I prefer Almiron I disagree. With the pressure easing surely that will suite Murphy and his deficiencies in needing to relax and make better decisions. Give him a proper run in the team (this is his first since he was bought) and either keep or more likely sell or bench at best next season.

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If goals were about a foot wider he’d be a £50m player. :lol:

Seriously though, he’s average but can’t help but like him. Like Burn he’s living the dream at the moment.

I don't rate him, but he did well yesterday. They all did. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

He gets trashed quite often but his stats probably have his end product at a similar level to ASM or Fraser, even with the lack of minutes compared to them.

1 goal, 2 assists in 1347 minutes (15 full games)

Fraser and ASM are both significantly better than that. I suppose the only thing I would say, is they both get solid runs in the team and Murphy never really has.

I don’t think he’s good enough, a Championship player, imo. Could see him going back to Norwich in the summer and doing well.

He's a very likeable character and has some likeable traits as well, and this Murphy is certainly better than the one who first joined us, who just didn't seem to have any quality at all. We'll surely be buying a winger in the summer though, meaning at least one of our current crop should probably be out the door. Murphy would be top of that list for me but I hope he gets himself a switch to another Premier League team and keeps improving. 

Totally agree with the general comments that we can't sell everyone but this guy will surely be one of the more expendable squaddies. 

29 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

He's a very likeable character and has some likeable traits as well, and this Murphy is certainly better than the one who first joined us, who just didn't seem to have any quality at all. We'll surely be buying a winger in the summer though, meaning at least one of our current crop should probably be out the door. Murphy would be top of that list for me but I hope he gets himself a switch to another Premier League team and keeps improving. 

Totally agree with the general comments that we can't sell everyone but this guy will surely be one of the more expendable squaddies. 

This echoes my feelings, too.

Likeable, hard working and surprisingly capable at times defensively, but for his position his end product is consistently poor.

He almost always fluffs either the assist or the shot. He has very limited vision too; he was lucky with his shot-come-pass for Joel's goal, and the chance he put wide from Bruno's long ball early in the game, whilst difficult, would have been squared by a good player, with Joel well positioned for a tap in.

I would absolutely sell him, good attitude and pace but technically not good enough and his crossing / striking of a ball isn’t good enough. Nothing against the lad, love his big smiles in the team photos but he’s set for a future at the bottom end of the premier league

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

I would absolutely sell him, good attitude and pace but technically not good enough and his crossing / striking of a ball isn’t good enough. Nothing against the lad, love his big smiles in the team photos but he’s set for a future at the bottom end of the premier league

This basically summed him up yesterday and his time here!

I seem to be coming in with an unpopular opinion in every thread I enter at the moment, but I think he's the most effective right-sided attacker we have on our books - above Ritchie, Almiron and even Fraser. His direct involvement in both of Joelinton's goals aside yesterday, he's a player who can carry the ball and is a good outlet for us.

We've yet to see Willock have a run on the right, and if we do end up signing someone like Paqueta, I can certainly see him given a go there instead. Until then, happy for Murphy to continue there.

9 minutes ago, HawK said:

I seem to be coming in with an unpopular opinion in every thread I enter at the moment, but I think he's the most effective right-sided attacker we have on our books - above Ritchie, Almiron and even Fraser. His direct involvement in both of Joelinton's goals aside yesterday, he's a player who can carry the ball and is a good outlet for us.

We've yet to see Willock have a run on the right, and if we do end up signing someone like Paqueta, I can certainly see him given a go there instead. Until then, happy for Murphy to continue there.

That’s the way I see it too. He gets into good positions, his pace is an asset here, especially with Bruno playing balls through like yesterday.

He’s not as good at pressing as Fraser but he’s far more incisive with his movement.. plus he’s also not really ever had a run in the side, I think he deserves more time.. whether he’ll get it or not is another thing.

22 minutes ago, gbandit said:

If only he was a little bit better. It's a shame as he loves the club and did some good stuff when no one expected it, but for where we are supposedly going he's not at the level needed.