Kenedy

Scottish Mag

Absolutely gutted for him on that bad touch he had for his 1 v 1.  He will bury it next time no doubt about it.

The spin on the (excellent) through ball played a part. No excuses, he had loads of time to get it under control and get a shot off like.

Out of everyone in our side, it's him who we'd want that ball to fall to, in all that space.  Such a shame with that first touch and totally unexpected.  Gutted for him.

Is it just me or has he bulked up?  Looked bigger than I remembered today.

Guest Howaythetoon

I love that he puts a shift in, tracks back and actually defends, but when you see him running with the ball, skipping past players, getting into scoring positions and stamping his own authority on the game you wonder if him having to put a shift in, work so hard and do so much defensively, diminishes his natural game to the point it makes him less effective than he could be?

I say that because before he arrived last season, Ritchie was doing so much or so much was asked of him. When Kennedy arrived and we had someone else to play to, to drive us forward or focus our play towards, it was almost like the shackles come off of Ritchie and he started becoming more and more productive going forward and more influential outside of set pieces.

Sadly, that’s what he has to do (work his bollocks off defensively) just as much as the other stuff going forward for Rafa and this team, because we cannot afford for him and anyone else not to because our team will fall apart if the likes of him spent most of his time in the opposition half.

That chance, him taking an extra touch which was heavy, was because he was shagged IMO.

I’d still fancy him to put more of those chances away than not even if he was shagged so I’m kind of over analysing things here, but I want a player like him in the opposition half more than our own and the opposition full-back or winger or midfielder chasing him around, working hard, putting in so much effort. Not him doing it.

When that ball gets played into him, I don’t want him to take in an extra breath and stretch his body resulting in a heavy touch because he’s put in such a shift he has to like with his chance, I want him to run onto it and smash it into the back of the net and do that every chance he gets which he would get plenty of in a much better team. He’s not going to score with every chance, but he’s someone who could get 20 goals IMO.

I don’t mind players putting in huge shifts by the way in one off games or say in a Cup Final and of course again he and the rest of them have to in every game because of our limitations and lack of quality, but you feel with Kennedy he has to do both to be the difference between going down and staying up when in a team of better players he could be attacking difference between mid-table and the top 5 in the way Torres was the difference between the top 5 and a title challenge for Liverpool for example.

I don’t know where I’m going with this and while I’m glad he’s here, I just look at him and think now imagine him in a better Newcastle United team, imagine not what he can do in our half, but the opposition half and not in cameos?

Players with his ability are wasted almost in a team like this, but the team need a player like him more than he needs a team like this.

We need him so again I’m thankful, I thought he was superb today and is so important for us. We will come to rely on him so much though and I fear when he isn’t scoring or creating, people will look at him and think well he should be doing better or we need more. No it’s him that needs more and indeed Rafa, more players like him.

If he plays like that every week no way are we signing him permanently. Some club like Everton or even Wolves/Fulham will blow us out of the water on wages, if a big club doesn't come in for him. 20 million is looking like peanuts.

Guest Howaythetoon

That's just shite man HTT. Unless he's playing for Liverpool or City, he's going to have to work like that against Tottenham. Everyone has to.

As I said I don’t mind in one off games or in certain games... lets see against Cardiff!

That's just shite man HTT. Unless he's playing for Liverpool or City, he's going to have to work like that against Tottenham. Everyone has to.

As I said I don’t mind in one off games or in certain games... lets see against Cardiff!

I agree, but he'll still have to work hard to a degree, that's just the Rafa Benitez way I think.

Really good, wish his touch didn't let him down with that chance though.

:thup:

I love Kenedy and today he had plenty of those moments where he's in tight spaces surrounded by players but he still comes out with the ball at this feet. That chance though, man, it was on a plate for him and he fucked it with that touch. Shame as he's so much better than that.

Such a threat when running at players and such a joy to watch.

I think our chance to sign him was this summer gone, the £20-25mill would have been worth it BUT a full season of him performing will just up his price further and then get more ambitious teams (basically everyone) after him. Should have even done an obligation to buy if Ashley didn't want to sanction it for now.

Ah well, guess it's best to just enjoy him for the season.

Out of everyone in our side, it's him who we'd want that ball to fall to, in all that space.  Such a shame with that first touch and totally unexpected.  Gutted for him.

Is it just me or has he bulked up?  Looked bigger than I remembered today.

Ritchie for me. Best composure when given a clear sight of goal in the box.

Massive fuck up not signing him permanently this summer. Can't even enjoy him properly when him having a good season means Chelsea reaps all the rewards while we go into the next summer having already lost our best player.