Other clubs' transfers

Greg

Another example of player power at work. Sterling is only 27. A little disappointing he's not going overseas, just to see how he'd get on.

Salah is heading somewhere on a free next summer, isn't he? 

I suppose it shouldn’t do, but something that’s really annoying me is the amount of great deals the “big” clubs seem to get; Eriksen on a free to Man Utd or Spurs, Bissouma for 25m, potentially Sterling to Chelsea for 35m, PSG and all the quality out-of-contract players they hoover up, etc. etc.

Whenever a quality player becomes available for cheap or for free, the more established clubs just swoop in and use their leverage to get them in. It just makes closing the gap that much harder when we’d be paying significantly more for the same quality player or worse. Along with FFP, the odds are just way too stacked against any clubs trying to break through.

Edited by McCormick

4 minutes ago, WillingtonMag said:

It's not where we are it's where we're going, we'll sign bigger names than Sterling over the next couple of seasons.

Yes after building to it over next season or two with perhaps European qualification. not a chance can we get Sterling, Raphinha or Phillips or anyone else the top Champions league teams will be after. 

I get it’s a very exciting time but be realistic 

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s weird how nobody wants to extend their contract anymore. Can’t remember a period with more high-profile free agents or cheap transfers. 

Higher wages might have an effect on that, where as in the past players didn't want to risk not signing incase they got Injured etc now they are already set for life they can take the risk.

2 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We should be all over that like if there's any chance he'd come here.

Edit: His wages will be far too high like

It would be a no/rather not from me. Appreciate I’m in the minority, but his finishing, and drive to finish, is woeful at times. Unlike some City players, Jesus and Zinchenko for example, I think he would look and do significantly worse out of that side/one filled with superstars.   

59 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It’s weird how nobody wants to extend their contract anymore. Can’t remember a period with more high-profile free agents or cheap transfers. 

Probably down to 2 things: 1) players looking at getting a large signing-on fee on a free transfer and 2) fears that their current team will price a player out of a potentially more attractive/lucrative move.

2 hours ago, Stottie said:

Another example of player power at work. Sterling is only 27. A little disappointing he's not going overseas, just to see how he'd get on.

Salah is heading somewhere on a free next summer, isn't he? 

There really isn't that many clubs abroad to go to with the amount of money in the PL

I've never been a massive fan of Sterling, IMO he's a natural talent but when he has time to think about what he's doing he mucks up, I think Pep has handled him very well and probably thinks it's time to cash in with a younger version lined up.

I partly agree, he’s not amazing technically but his pace has always given him a big edge. He’s also got a great attitude but he’s not the best striker of the ball and is poor like you say when he has too much time to think. He’d be great for us under Howe and he’d be great in certain systems but I’m not convinced he’ll be great at Chelsea. Still, he’s got a few years left

of being rapid so maybe that’s enough