Other clubs' transfers

Greg

It's all a matter of opinion anyway.

Even the top scouts will not all agree on players.

Personally, think folk are being harsh on McTominay. Very promising young midfielder. Think playing week in and week out will be the making of him this season.

Looking forward to see how Man United look against Wolves, who will be at home, tonight. Much tougher test than last week.

Last thing I’m gonna say is I’ve forgotten more about football last week than froggy will ever know in his glory supporting life. And I’m out unless he wants to take it to PMs :)

You said that already. It was even less convincing the second time.

:lol: :lol:

What's up with your academy nowadays?

Seems in recent times you've been at your best when bringing players through from there.

Doesn't seem to be happening at the moment.

The transfer ban depleted a lot of the youth squads (which had become very reliant on signing foreign talent which was now deemed illegal). Then there was a reform of the academy 4 years ago which was very ambitious - implementing a lot of data driven coaching and development tracking -, but it is having a lot of teething problems. Now they have just made another reorg and I wouldn't be surprised if they walk back some of the changes.

Burned out as not being able to play with the kind of mental intensity he did in his previous years, always being plugged in the game. Even if his athleticism is still mostly there (he's just 30), his mind isn't.

Rooney was done by 30. Torres too. It happens to a lot of players that start young. It's that much harder for attackers imo.

Was Coutinho really that bad at Barca? His stats were comparable to his time with Liverpool.

I am surprised at their attitude towards Coutinho. At the time of the transfer, we knew he was never going to be worth 110-140 million but he is still a fine footballer.

Given that Valverde is not considered a great tactician or anything, I thought they would at least try Coutinho under a different manager before pushing Coutinho out of the club.

Was Coutinho really that bad at Barca? His stats were comparable to his time with Liverpool.

I am surprised at their attitude towards Coutinho. At the time of the transfer, we knew he was never going to be worth 110-140 million but he is still a fine footballer.

Given that Valverde is not considered a great tactician or anything, I thought they would at least try Coutinho under a different manager before pushing Coutinho out of the club.

Barça already had a relatively high wage bill so I would assume to bring players in like they have done this summer they simply can’t afford to keep everyone they already had plus the others they’d ditch are all older so harder to move.

Barça already had a relatively high wage bill so I would assume to bring players in like they have done this summer they simply can’t afford to keep everyone they already had plus the others they’d ditch are all older so harder to move.

True. I know the Neymar skewed the market. But you just don't do the second or third most expensive transfer of all time without a clear plan on how to use the player. Not that I am complaining, that Coutinho money helped us assemble the final pieces for our champions league win.

Is it just me then that thinks Coutinho will be back to his at Bayern? I can see 120m being a good price for him come the end of the season.

I  don't know if it possibly can be. I mean, there are literally only three players in the entire history of the universe who have gone for more, and Bayern have only ever spent more than 45M Euro on one player - Lucas Hernandez.

Played out of position for large parts - was supposed to be on the left of a 3 man midfield to replace Iniesta - likewise Dembele would be on the left of a front 3 to replace Neymar

What transpired was Valverde playing a 4-4-2 to go completely against Barca's adopted 4-3-3 policy, mainly to bring Messi inside  - what he did with this was revolve everything around Messi, everyone else becoming redundant in the team - Coutinho got shoved to play as essentially a LW, Dembele as a RW, Barca have lost their attacking flow due to this, all their play these days is so pedestrian and laboured - the players they have are good, but the system is just killing them

Then at the weekend, he goes and plays Griezemann as a LW - he looked completely lost poor guy

Valverde is on the Patsy levels of incompetence - literally makes things up as he goes along