Other clubs' transfers

Greg

That David Luiz thing isn't even the weirdest thing Arsenal have done today btw. They've signed Cedric to a 4 year contract at 30. He has played no games for them in his loan deal

Done Cedric dirty there. He's 28 :lol:

Good chance we finish above arsenal next season without a takeover. Shit, might even do it this season.  :lol:

They are fucked. Bet they wish they didn’t hound out wenger for only finishing 4th every season.

Good chance we finish above arsenal next season without a takeover. Shit, might even do it this season.  :lol:

They are fucked. Bet they wish they didn’t hound out wenger for only finishing 4th every season.

Someone compared it to us sacking Bobby because he finished 5th, which I think is a really good comparison. They're going to be mid-table fodder for the next few years. :lol:

Someone compared it to us sacking Bobby because he finished 5th, which I think is a really good comparison. They're going to be mid-table fodder for the next few years. :lol:

Some similarities yes, but think it was more a case that they never really adequately replaced the spine of the team...Toure/Vieira/Henry, and just went for a succession of light weight technical players over the years, and for all the improvement in the league since then, there is still a place for gritty hard working players, who have a never defeated attitude. Has to be a balance of course but I can't think of an Arsenal player that another player would be 'frightened' of going up against

Rafa rates him highly doesn’t he? Said he’s one of the best defenders in the world if used correctly

and he would - i'd imagine rafa would use him as a proper libero alongside 2 very strong, solid CB's if he had him on the books, that's the only position he can play imo

Guest neesy111

Rafa rates him highly doesn’t he? Said he’s one of the best defenders in the world if used correctly

and he would - i'd imagine rafa would use him as a proper libero alongside 2 very strong, solid CB's if he had him on the books, that's the only position he can play imo

Not exactly the same but isn't it a little similar with Schar looking far better in a back 3 and being able to be the one who plays out of defence etc.

Not exactly the same but isn't it a little similar with Schar looking far better in a back 3 and being able to be the one who plays out of defence etc.

:thup: similar but different yeah; luiz would be miles better as a libero imo but schar could play a more standard sweeper role for sure, as could lejeune for that matter

With Rafa, and sandwiched in between any 2 defenders of your choice I still wouldn’t want Luiz anywhere near our club. Even at his peak he was always prone to a clanger. You just can’t trust him.

Seems a nice guy though, but we don’t need a cheerleader.

Some similarities yes, but think it was more a case that they never really adequately replaced the spine of the team...Toure/Vieira/Henry, and just went for a succession of light weight technical players over the years, and for all the improvement in the league since then, there is still a place for gritty hard working players, who have a never defeated attitude. Has to be a balance of course but I can't think of an Arsenal player that another player would be 'frightened' of going up against

I'm convinced Anelka ruined Arsenal.  They bought him for £500k and sold him on for £27m or something with everyone saying how much of a genius Wenger was.  After that he seemed to become obsessed with signing nobodies in an effort to discover the next diamond in the rough.

If they'd balanced their transfer policy with some big name established players I think we'd be looking at a different Arsenal today.

I'm convinced Anelka ruined Arsenal.  They bought him for £500k and sold him on for £27m or something with everyone saying how much of a genius Wenger was.  After that he seemed to become obsessed with signing nobodies in an effort to discover the next diamond in the rough.

If they'd balanced their transfer policy with some big name established players I think we'd be looking at a different Arsenal today.

Maybe a bit...they did spend big money (at the time) to get Henry, but there probably was a bit much focus on finding the next big payout from an unknown

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Alexandre Lacazette

Mesut Özil

Mikel Arteta

Per Mertesacker

These are the only "big name" signings I can think of over the last 9-10 years for them, so I reckon you're right. If you compare it to the other "big" PL clubs who make 2-3 big name signings every year Arsenal have fallen behind.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Alexandre Lacazette

Mesut Özil

Mikel Arteta

Per Mertesacker

These are the only "big name" signings I can think of over the last 9-10 years for them, so I reckon you're right. If you compare it to the other "big" PL clubs who make 2-3 big name signings every year Arsenal have fallen behind.

If Mertesacker, Arteta and Mkhitaryan are big names then so is Pepe, Sanchez, Xhaka etc. I'd even put Podolski and Giroud on the same level as Mertesacker.

Guest neesy111

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Alexandre Lacazette

Mesut Özil

Mikel Arteta

Per Mertesacker

Sanchez.

It depends what you define as big name, they have always signed players for big fees:

Pepe was 80 mill euros

Torreia, Sokratis, Leno were 20-30 mill each

Xhaka and Mustafi were 40 mill euros

Sanchez was 45 mill euros

Cazorla and Podolski were 20 mill euros 8 years ago

Nasri and Arshavin

Gervinho

They have spent a lot of money on these players. Some were class but most were duds.

Think it was more to do with Wenger becoming obsessed with signing little midgets in an effort to emulate Barcelona.

Completely started ignoring the French league and players, and any strong, athletic and quick players, which was crazy IMO and particularly made their central midfield options suffer.

They had a clear philosophy but they neglected the role of the tougher players in allowing it to work.

I still respect the way they want to play football, but they need to toughen up for sure.

Also like how much they trust their young players.

They had a clear philosophy but they neglected the role of the tougher players in allowing it to work.

I still respect the way they want to play football, but they need to toughen up for sure.

Also like how much they trust their young players.

Yeah, the thing is they played very attractive football when they had those stronger, athletic and quicker players anyway, so to abandon that all completely was so bizarre really.

Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Alexandre Lacazette

Mesut Özil

Mikel Arteta

Per Mertesacker

Sanchez.

Fuck, how did I forget him?