Other clubs' transfers

Greg

11 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah if Rafa wants a pretty cheap way to get Everton fans onside, Insigne would be a great way to do it

They've apparently fucked themselves with FFP and can't really spend. Not sure they could afford him without selling some of their dross first.

It's not my recollection that Ronaldo's move to Juventus at a similar age was seen as being a grim and depressing indictment of modern football that Messi's is, despite the fact that Juventus had just won 7 Serie A titles on the bounce while Messi's not even moving to the French champions. Is there a reason for that or am I remembering it wrongly? I definitely don't remember a clamour for Ronaldo to go and play for Watford for free in order to cement his legacy.

Guest neesy111
1 minute ago, Wullie said:

It's not my recollection that Ronaldo's move to Juventus at a similar age was seen as being a grim and depressing indictment of modern football that Messi's is, despite the fact that Juventus had just won 7 Serie A titles on the bounce while Messi's not even moving to the French champions. Is there a reason for that or am I remembering it wrongly?

General perception of the leagues?

1 minute ago, Wullie said:

It's not my recollection that Ronaldo's move to Juventus at a similar age was seen as being a grim and depressing indictment of modern football that Messi's is, despite the fact that Juventus had just won 7 Serie A titles on the bounce while Messi's not even moving to the French champions. Is there a reason for that or am I remembering it wrongly? I definitely don't remember a clamour for Ronaldo to go and play for Watford for free in order to cement his legacy.

Ronaldo hadn't been at one club his entire career, and while I haven't got any love for Juve, at least they are a historically big club in a big league. 

6 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Wasn't it done on the back of winning the 3rd CL in a row and the stink surrounding the tax dodging stuff?  Football wise everyone seemed to agree it was the right time to move on and try to win it somewhere else, plus he didn't want to go to jail.

But yeah good point about the difference between the two moves judgement-wise.

8 minutes ago, toon25 said:

I did wonder if that twat Neymar would give up the n.10 jersey for him.

Then I realised it was that twat Neymar.

Wasn't the whole point of Neymar going to Paris in the first place to be the 'main man' as he was tired of always being second best to Messi

32 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Because PSG aside, the French league is at best 5th best in terms of quality behind Spain, Italy, England, and Germany. 

Take PSG out of the mix then there's a fair argument to say its not much better than Portugal or Netherlands (all opinion and subjective i know) 

I think it's more just that Ronaldo has moved around throughout his career anyway. People expected better of Messi being a 1 club player. I did anyway.

But to be fair Messi's never moved around like Ronaldo has because there's never been a realistic step up - or a motivation to do so. Now there is loads of teams that are a step up at the moment (PSG included).

Edited by ponsaelius

Yeah my perception of Messi was that he'd be a one-club man, with the possible exception of a token season in Argentina when he was 39 and virtually finished. PSG are incredibly easy to dislike and even the presence of Messi doesn't change that for me.

EDIT: Wew Nage Panker

Edited by Pilko

10 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Wonder why manyoo (or someone else) haven't moved for Rice.  I think they become legit contenders with that level of CM/DM play after Sanch/Varane.

I think I read they need to raise funds before they can do any further outlay even though they've only spent 39p.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

I agree. And PSG have a realistic chance to win the CL.

2 minutes ago, Disco said:

I think I read they need to raise funds before they can do any further outlay even though they've only spent 39p.

Plenty they could ship if they wanted like.  Use Ling as a makeweight for a start surely.  Was reading that PSG were strongly pushing for Pog before this Messi deal happened, now they've asked him to sit out the last year of his deal.

20 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Because PSG aside, the French league is at best 5th best in terms of quality behind Spain, Italy, England, and Germany. 

Take PSG out of the mix then there's a fair argument to say its not much better than Portugal or Netherlands (all opinion and subjective i know) 

Yeah maybe. I'm just not convinced that moving to Bayern or Juventus (at the time Ronaldo did) or Man City is any more exciting or even more of a challenge really. Domestically it's highly likely to be a procession whether it's against Nice, Aston Villa, Bologna or Eintracht Frankfurt.

Sure it would be interesting if he does a Maradona and joins a midtable team but when does that ever happen? Top players now all cycle round the same ~10 clubs because they're all obsessed with winning the CL, that's just the way it is.

2 minutes ago, Wullie said:

Sure it would be interesting if he does a Maradona and joins a midtable team but when does that ever happen? Top players now all cycle round the same ~10 clubs because they're all obsessed with winning the CL, that's just the way it is.

Bang on, plus in his specific case I don't think you can discount his eye on the next WC.  He'll want to protect himself and hold something back which he'll be able to do in France.